They have every right to be angry, as they have been sh!tted over by SC10.... again.

More like $70-$100, and not everyone can afford one.

Analog is a bigger waste, but I don't see you having a whinge about that.

Simulcast serves the wider community. They are who matter.

Regards,

Cf1.

In the WOW catalogue - Olin SD STB $49 HD STB $99

Big W - AWA HD STB $98

I have in the past voiced my opinion about analogue TV. I put it in the same catagory as the whole simulcast bandwidth-wasting basket. The broadcasters simulcast to give analogue viewers something to look at.

I maintain the stance that we don't want ONESD on SC for regional viewers!

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big W - AWA HD STB $98

I have in the past voiced my opinion about analogue TV. I put it in the same catagory as the whole simulcast bandwidth-wasting basket. The broadcasters simulcast to give analogue viewers something to look at.

I agree sdixon, we dont need a similcast of ONE or regonal vic. Its a waste of bandwitdh for a small minority who want it.

Here are the top rating shows for GO! on Sunday:

Program.........................................Channel...Total.........Sydney Melbourne Brisbane Adelaide Perth

The Big Bang Theory -Rpt....................Go!....204,000....77,000....48,000....24,000....23,000....31,000

Wipeout...............................................Go!....169,000....51,000....30,000....29,000....27,000....32,000

The Flintstones -Rpt............................Go!....131,000....45,000....42,000....31,000.....8,000......4,000

The Nanny...........................................Go!....123,000....40,000....38,000....16,000....19,000....10,000

Seinfeld -Rpt........................................Go!....101,000....30,000....21,000....28,000....18,000....5,000

The Jetsons-Rpt...................................Go!....99,000......27,000....21,000....42,000....4,000......5,000

Legion Of Superheroes........................Go!....88,000......22,000....25,000....23,000....17,000....1,000

Starsky & Hutch -Rpt............................Go!....76,000......5,000......37,000....23,000....3,000......7,000

Scooby-Doo,Where Are You! -Rpt........Go!....73,000......10,000....31,000....20,000.....6,000.....7,000

Rating reports like this, really make me wonder how flawed the rating system is. I find it very difficult to believe the other new cartoon series shown wouldn't have rated higher, compared to The Flintstones and The Jetsons. As much as I still like The Flintstones and The Jetsons, I can't see their episodes been that appealing to younger viewers.

Unfortunately older cartoon series are getting priority now, judging by cartoon changes (Krypto the Super Dog and Life and Times of Juniper Lee gone) for Saturday 12th September. So many new cartoon series (from Cartoon Network/Warner Brothers) have been wasted by Nine in the past, and it looks like it will continue to happen.

Big W - AWA HD STB $98

And I maintain my stance that not everybody can afford to buy HD boxes. In this economic climate, people who are struggling money-wise can't afford to suddenly have to spend an extra $100 just for a HD box.

I agree sdixon, we dont need a similcast of ONE or regonal vic. Its a waste of bandwitdh for a small minority who want it.

It isn't a waste of bandwidth, it is 3mbps, and it advantages several people.

I wish the people calling to keep their PQ on One would stop being so selfish.

Regards,

Cf1 (aka Flamebait :P ).

And I maintain my stance that not everybody can afford to buy HD boxes. In this economic climate, people who are struggling money-wise can't afford to suddenly have to spend an extra $100 just for a HD box.

It isn't a waste of bandwidth, it is 3mbps, and it advantages several people.

I wish the people calling to keep their PQ on One would stop being so selfish.

Regards,

Cf1 (aka Flamebait :P ).

At least it doesn't cost anything to watch ONE HD and GO!, so why are people still complaining? I just find it amazing that even though GO! arrived after ONE HD, some people just never stop complaining.

A HD set top box only cost at least a few dollars more than a SD box depending on the brand people want to buy, and with a HD box comes with both SD and HD channels.

Why can't people appreciate for a change that a channel like GO! is free to watch?

William Walker

Edited by willwalk

A HD set top box only cost at least a few dollars more than a SD box depending on the brand people want to buy, and with a HD box comes with both SD and HD channels.

True, but it is to some people an unnecessary expense.

Why can't people appreciate for a change that a channel like GO! is free to watch?

+1

At least it doesn't cost anything to watch ONE HD and GO!, so why are people still complaining? I just find it amazing that even though GO! arrived after ONE HD, some people just never stop complaining.

Because picture quality is the single most important thing on earth, according to those people.

At least it doesn't cost anything to watch ONE HD

But it was at the expense of Ten HD, which, if these people to be believed, was the single greatest thing in the history of the universe.

I may have exaggerated a bit, bt I hope I've gotten my point across.

Kind regards,

Cf1.

Picture quality IMO is not the be all and end all but there comes a point where the picture quality is so low as to make it unwatchable. I've seen several people here lamenting the lack of a SD version of One being simulcast by SC. IMO you should be thankful that you don't have to put up with the poor picture quality that is seen (now that I've actually seen it... BLEAH!) on 10 SD and One SD via 10 direct. For once being in the regionals has an advantage!

Picture quality IMO is not the be all and end all but there comes a point where the picture quality is so low as to make it unwatchable.

Can't argue with that.

I've seen several people here lamenting the lack of a SD version of One being simulcast by SC. IMO you should be thankful that you don't have to put up with the poor picture quality that is seen (now that I've actually seen it... BLEAH!) on 10 SD and One SD via 10 direct.

I don't think that the people that want One SD wouldn't care if it was 2-3 mbps, just as long as they got the channel.

For once being in the regionals has an advantage!

Nup, still a disadvantage.

Edited by cforumla1

Picture quality IMO is not the be all and end all but there comes a point where the picture quality is so low as to make it unwatchable. I've seen several people here lamenting the lack of a SD version of One being simulcast by SC. IMO you should be thankful that you don't have to put up with the poor picture quality that is seen (now that I've actually seen it... BLEAH!) on 10 SD and One SD via 10 direct. For once being in the regionals has an advantage!

I have yet to see GO! and ONE HD, and have seen only a fraction of TEN HD, not much but a bit, so I am yet to express my views on ONE HD and GO! I just wish that people in big cities and surronding areas would be more grateful now that they have received those channels where as my area have yet to receive them but my area and the area where people live in big cities are far better served than Central Australia where that area might never get to see GO! or ONE HD.

William Walker

I just wish that people in big cities and surronding areas would be more grateful now that they have received those channels

+1. I am gratefuul to have received those channels. I also believe it is a disgrace to the nation that Darwin, one of our capital cities, has not got access to these channels. Darwinites and Centralians have my deepest sympathy. It is a farce of pre-aggregation proportions.

Regards,

Cf1.

I don't think that the people that want One SD wouldn't care if it was 2-3 mbps, just as long as they got the channel.

HAH! If SC did it they would be in here in flash ****ing about the poor picture quality on One SD and the main SD channel..... guaranteed.

The commercial FTAs could 'improve' the quality of their picture for these low bit rate channels, ie could reduce the amount of blocking and ringing, but it would require them to add the bag of tricks that Foxtel uses to keep bit rates low and that costs more $.

Edited by DrP

My sister used to say she couldn't afford a STB in 2007. Funnily enough, she'd spend thousands of dollars on useless plants for her garden and other useless "decorative" items for her house.

A lot of drunks and smokers claim they cannot afford things like a STB.

In my opinion, anyone who isn't a vagrant can put aside $100 to purchase an HD STB. It might require them to drink a few less beers, smoke a few less cigarettes, go to less parties and eat from home for a week or two, but they'll manage.

The analogue signals should be switched off ASAP. The people who pretentiously argue that they "cannot afford it" -- thus the reason the analogue signals are still transmitted -- don't have a leg to stand on. If they're that keen on TV then they'd fork out $100-worth of beer/smoke/party/take-away money on a STB. Afterall, they spend far more money on beer, smokes, partying and take-away than they'll ever spend on a STB. If they choose to drink, smoke and party then they have no one but themselves to blame for having nothing to watch when the analogue signals are shut off.

I seen a artical on tvtonight that more than 53% of australians have switched to digital, still 47% to go.

I think its time to slowly start shutting down analouge to futher push the uptake of digital and improve quality for all.

I also think that once that is done ease restrictions on what can be shown when, because parents of children would be able to lock out shows they dont want kids watching much like they can with pay tv.

Looks like they have changed the weeknight 6pm 7pm schedule.

AFHVS has been replaced with The Flinstones and The Jetsons at 6.00 and 6.30pm. Checked it out in the yahoo7 tv guide.

It was fun catching up on AFHVS at 6, was something nice to watch instead of the news. However Flinstones Jetsons is a better choice for that time :)

oh dear.

Now they're making me have to decide between PRIME News (6pm) and Seven News (6:30pm) and The Flintstones and the Jetsons at the same time.

EDIT: anyone able to recommend a PVR with MPEG4 capabilities? While HD would be preferable, since NBN HD and NBN SD are simulcast I won't be missihng anything with SD only, not into anything on ONE HD, so only SC10 SD left and PRIME HD does have some unique programming, but I can watch those on my HD STB. Would need at least 2 tuners.

Edited by digitalj

QUESTION: Does channel nine or it's affiliates advertise GO! on their main channel? e.g. "Coming up on CH9: blah blah blah and also coming up on the free digital channel GO!: blah blah blah."

I haven't seen any cross-promotion between Nine and GO! here on the Gold Coast. Strange considering GO! has a better line up than Nine on some nights IMO.

Isn't Saturday the nights basically the kill off a show night after it's run?

Yep, it took almost 30 years to kill off Hey Hey It's Saturday after it was put there from Saturday mornings.

QUESTION: Does channel nine or it's affiliates advertise GO! on their main channel?

Yes, I was at my sister's place in Kanahooka over the weekend, she doesn't have DTV or Channel 31 (yes it was torture) and WIN 9 had ads for Dog The Bounty Hunter on GO!.

s

Edited by StephenSLR