Austar May Be Going Hd In Oct 2009

Just read this page http://www.mediaresearchasia.com/view.php?...ews&id=0519 about Austar, i may have misunderstood what it is saying but to me it looks like Porter is saying that Austar my have HD in Oct.....i can't see it but who knows, HD would be nice but i bet the price for a HD Mystar will be more than $14.95 a mth extra, plus the endless list of bugs that any Mystar always has will be a worry.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling we will only get 4 or 5 HD channels anyway, and we will have to pay extra to veiw the HD channels. Also it's all new hardware so the MyStar box now which is analoge output will have to be swapped out for the HD box.

So don't get tooooo excited about this just yet. If Austar says October, then I say "Which Year". I hope it's not as buggy as the MyStar box, mine is driving me nuts.

Series Link dosn't always work.

Very slow to react to the infa red.

Need to reset to defaults through the software every now and then to get it all working again.

Folks around Armidale (Mount Little Duval) still cannot get NBN through MyStar even though it's been Broadcasting since last July.Go Figure. It's not like the Frequency,Polorization and FECs are a secret. The new Digital Box will have a Open Type Tuner which will pick up the Digital Frquencies where ever you are, not like MyStar now were it all has to be programmed into the Mapping Software.

I just have the standard Austar and was hopeful for HD sometime in the next 12 mths but after reading all the problems currently with Mystar i dont know whether i'll pick it up or not. :huh:

Hey mrfixits thanks for the update and are you serious 6 tele's :o man do you guys ever leave the house? :D

I have a feeling we will only get 4 or 5 HD channels anyway, and we will have to pay extra to veiw the HD channels.

Thats all Foxtel are offering at present. I understand a new Optus satellite is to be launched in a month or so and this will add extra capacity for paytv in Oz. While nothing surprises me with Austar, in an ideal world, I think we can expect to see more HD channels available to subscribers by the time Mystar HD is out and about. I personally, would like to see a Movie 1 with DD added to the HD line-up.

So 100,000 SD Mystars have been pushed out! Perhaps thats the number which Austar were committed on taking from Thomson Industrie.

With that 'job lot' out of the way there's IMO no reason why Austar shouldn't deliver the HD box on time - thats assuming of course the thing actually works. We can expect to pay extra and as long as a basic STB is available then it' becomes a simple matter of choice, as to which level of service you wish to subscribe to.

Edited by ozbrit

Hopefully Austar has seen the light and has not decided to develop its own HD receiver and instead will resell Foxtel's IQ2. Looking at all of Austars standard STBs and then the MyStar on top of that its clear IMO that whoever is doing the development work for Austar should consider another line of work.

Edited by DrP

its clear IMO that whoever is doing the development work for Austar should consider another line of work.

Talking about the new Optus Sat. That's being going up for a couple of months now as far as I know,I hope it finally gets up there soon.

Austar base Decoders "Will Not" have HD, only the MyStar Decoders will be HD.(The new ones).

With the available channels there is a capacity problem with HD from the Sat. At the moment we have MPeg2 Compression, the new Sat will give a lot more Capacity but as far as I know they are still going to use MPeg2, which to me makes no sense at all.

MPeg4 will give a lot more capacity (More Channels) without any degredation of Image Quality, providing they get the MyStar HD Decoder to decode MPeg4 I cannot see a problem.

But I am no Boffin,just a lowly Technician at the bottom of the food chain.

Cheers

With the available channels there is a capacity problem with HD from the Sat. At the moment we have MPeg2 Compression, the new Sat will give a lot more Capacity but as far as I know they are still going to use MPeg2, which to me makes no sense at all.

MPeg4 will give a lot more capacity (More Channels) without any degredation of Image Quality, providing they get the MyStar HD Decoder to decode MPeg4 I cannot see a problem.

But I am no Boffin,just a lowly Technician at the bottom of the food chain.

Cheers

Huh? Foxtel's HD channels currently use MPEG-4 compression.... The iQ2 is an MPEG-4 decoder. Austar will use the same channels, surely.

At the moment we have MPeg2 Compression, the new Sat will give a lot more Capacity but as far as I know they are still going to use MPeg2, which to me makes no sense at all.

No sense?

What's the point of having only mpeg4 channels on the new sat when 100% of current Austar subscribers and 95% of Foxtel subscribers won't be able to watch them!

Mpeg2 will be around for a long time yet for the SD channels until the providers spend an enormous amount of money throwing all the existing devices. Mpeg4 receivers are still significantly more expensive than mpeg2 ones and prices are still coming down so it's better to wait.

Folks around Armidale (Mount Little Duval) still cannot get NBN through MyStar even though it's been Broadcasting since last July.Go Figure. It's not like the Frequency,Polorization and FECs are a secret. The new Digital Box will have a Open Type Tuner which will pick up the Digital Frquencies where ever you are, not like MyStar now were it all has to be programmed into the Mapping Software.

We have a similar problem here with Prime off Mt Sugarloaf. The Mystar will show either a black screen or a check your antenna message for a couple of seconds. then pics. There is nothing wrong with the signal, you can plug in a stb or tv into it and prime digital is perfect and the signal strength os very good. And it gets more bizarre, come 6pm all it shows is a black screen on prime, and like i said, plug in a stb and its fine. it only does this crap with prime, nbn and sc10 work fine

Hey mrfixits thanks for the update and are you serious 6 tele's :o man do you guys ever leave the house? :D

Thats cool mate .....and no we don't leave the house much seeing how me and my wife are both disabled plus our kids have a lot of friends and just love to come over and watch movies in the Theatre. Also the way i look at it is, my disability is terminal so i am giving my family the best they can have while i can.

No sense?

What's the point of having only mpeg4 channels on the new sat when 100% of current Austar subscribers and 95% of Foxtel subscribers won't be able to watch them!

Mpeg2 will be around for a long time yet for the SD channels until the providers spend an enormous amount of money throwing all the existing devices. Mpeg4 receivers are still significantly more expensive than mpeg2 ones and prices are still coming down so it's better to wait.

Yes,

Very good point.

Thats cool mate .....and no we don't leave the house much seeing how me and my wife are both disabled plus our kids have a lot of friends and just love to come over and watch movies in the Theatre. Also the way i look at it is, my disability is terminal so i am giving my family the best they can have while i can.

No worries mf hope i didn't offend you my friend.

• 3 weeks later...
I cant see it, all I see is the standard POS mystar

I was speaking to Austar yesterday... getting the Mystar back after having used a Tivo for past 5 months. I asked about HD and the chick on the phone said that it was just going to be a firmware/software upgrade to allow HD. She reckons the Mystar is HD already.

Does she know what she's talking about??

From the specs I've seen of the MyStar, no. But then again what I've seen is hardly comprehensive so its possible the unit has MPEG-4 AVC HD (this would also indicate MPEG-2 HD) support but it then begs the question as to why the MyStar does not allow viewing of FTA terrestrial HD channels.

Reality suggests that you don't believe anything anyone from Austar says until you see it with your own eyes.

I was speaking to Austar yesterday... getting the Mystar back after having used a Tivo for past 5 months. I asked about HD and the chick on the phone said that it was just going to be a firmware/software upgrade to allow HD. She reckons the Mystar is HD already.

How amusing :lol: Quite typical of Austar staff who have little or no product training. So going on that, I get to pay a higher fee for HD and someone at Austar will upgrade my box to HD01 while I wait?

Edited by ozbrit

I suppose they are going to retrofit a HDMI socket to it..

The HD mystar is black

I wondered what the Austar Winter Olympics site was on about when it said it would be available in HD. I assumed they just cut and paste the Foxtel release and changed the company name lol.

Also when you register your interest it asks would you prefer SD, HD or "don't mind." Judging on how long MyStar took to arrive I shall not hold my breath.

I suppose they are going to retrofit a HDMI socket to it..

The HD mystar is black

Hey we all know that Austar is way behind the rest of the world, so maybe they will use an update to make the mystar HD and then post you out a set of Component Leads (Red, Blue, Green) they could get away with calling that HD as my sons Rear Pro TV is HD Ready and only has Component in (i gave it to him when i upgraded to a Full 1080P) I got the Rear Pro in 2001. This is something i can see Austar doing and calling it HD.....Guess we will just have to wait and see.

Hey we all know that Austar is way behind the rest of the world, so maybe they will use an update to make the mystar HD and then post you out a set of Component Leads (Red, Blue, Green) they could get away with calling that HD as my sons Rear Pro TV is HD Ready and only has Component in (i gave it to him when i upgraded to a Full 1080P) I got the Rear Pro in 2001. This is something i can see Austar doing and calling it HD.....Guess we will just have to wait and see.

The MyStar does not have a H.264 decoding chipset so there is no way it could decode the HD channels on the sat. The entire mainboard needs to be replaced, not just a cable or firmware upgrade!

The MyStar design predated the general availability of cheap H.264 decoder chipsets which started coming out in volume during 2007.

I wondered what the Austar Winter Olympics site was on about when it said it would be available in HD. I assumed they just cut and paste the Foxtel release and changed the company name lol.

Also when you register your interest it asks would you prefer SD, HD or "don't mind." Judging on how long MyStar took to arrive I shall not hold my breath.

But it's a redirect to the Foxtel site. What is the point in registering interest anyway?

Doesn'y look like it entitles you to anything.