Samsung Vs Panasonic Plasmas

Well i guess that makes sense.

As there is a backlight (its call cell strength or something like that) setting. So I guess that changes the brightness scale as you say.

Movie mode may be a dim preset intended for dim or dark viewing conditions, it may override the normally very bright contrast of "normal" mode so the number 95 could mean nothing, 100 is likely not giving you maximum output in "cinema" mode. On many TV's you can adjust the user preset modes in the service menu and make each as bright or as dim as you want, independent from the user contrast setting. The only way you can tell how hard you are driving the panel is to measure its light output, you can't use the contrast number as any indication. If you where to drive the panel at 95% of it maximum possible output you would shorten its life and risk burn in.

Many so called "calibrators" seem to aim for peak light output of about 40ftl and set the contrast control accordingly. 40ftl is WAY too bright for a dim or dark viewing environment and is about 4 times brighter then a cinema, why people want a picture that bright escapes me; I personally find it very hard on the eyes. To get 40ftl you are driving a Plasma hard, and that's a worry, so if a contrast setting of 95 in "Cinema" mode is giving 40ftl or more, use it at your own risk. Plasmas are typically flat nacker at mid to high 40's, unless the room is unusually bright you just don't need 40ftl. Give your Plasma a brake, no need to flog it to death, the brighter you set it the more you have to worry about image retention and burn in.

One thing I should also mention is that all Plasmas have a negative dynamic contrast characteristic, they are incapable of maintaining full output on high average picture level scenes where a large proportion of the pixels are on hard, in this situation output drops of by anything up to about 60%, the higher the contrast setting the greater the loss on bright scenes and the more non linear the display. LCD's do not suffer from this and that's why they look brighter when set to the same peak level as a Plasma. You can set up a Plasma and an LCD to the same 40ftl peak on a low average picture level scene and on a high average picture level scene like snow the LCD will be twice as bright because it does not loose output like the Plasma.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drizt, have you got your 50B650? Care to comment? Particularily regarding any buzz problems and the reported issue with cinema smooth on the AVS forums? Also are the speakers really that bad?

The buzz thing obviously won't affect all lucky purchases of this nice TV. The cinema smooth thing is a bit weird, but i personally wouldn't let it sway you from the TV (unless you're a bit of a technophobe).

The sound is pretty bad :) Even by big HDTV standards IMO.

The buzz thing obviously won't affect all lucky purchases of this nice TV. The cinema smooth thing is a bit weird, but i personally wouldn't let it sway you from the TV (unless you're a bit of a technophobe).

The sound is pretty bad :) Even by big HDTV standards IMO.

I agree. I have only had the B650 for one night, and I love it. However, the TV speakers are pretty crap compared to my little paradigm micro speakers through my AV gear. Not an issue for me though.

Not sure what the buzz thing is, and not sure that I want to find out.

Brindi

My wife commented on the colour of the screen when it is turned off too. She thought it was a purple type colour.

G'day Brindi - good to see that it all works. I think i'm going to go the Panasonic in the end - i just 'trust' it. I don't need the features of the Sammy either, it was just good to have. Remember the Bluray player price at the same store - i reckon that's a bargain for what is regarded as the best budget player out there.

..and i'll probably keep the Wii and unleash the child inside me :) (that ad had nothing to do with it) :)

Part of what makes the Pioneer Kuro’s so good is their effective screen filter, which also have a purplish appearance under certain lighting. The Panasonics, which don’t have a filter of any significance, look green-grey due to the underlying phosphor layer of the panel, the filter on the Samsungs and Pioneers is intended to hide that, thereby improving contrast.

Edited by Owen

• 3 months later...
The other important setting is “Sharpness: 0”

Hey Owen, just curious as to why you say this is one of the important settings?

Funnily enough, I've got mine set up as per those recommended settings bar the sharpness, which I just pumped up to 20.

It just seemed to crisp things up a bit nicer.