Panasonic's 2009 Plasma Lineup

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which series has the 58" inch size? I can't see it. A 54" can't be the biggest one. :(

Also, are these the super bright and power efficient models we heard about last year? They were supposed to be able to compete with LCD in a bright room environment.

Maybe the 58" will be released by Pioneer? ;)

Looks like they tripled the brightness: http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/us/flash_news/index.html

Edited by ageha

Did Pioneer release details of their new plasma lineup at CES? I haven't been able to find anything on any press event about new tv's. Also just wondering if these neo PDP's would be as good as the current 09 series of Pioneers in terms of contrast. It says 40,000:1 on the top models. Would anyone know how this might compare to the new Pio's?

Did Pioneer release details of their new plasma lineup at CES? I haven't been able to find anything on any press event about new tv's. Also just wondering if these neo PDP's would be as good as the current 09 series of Pioneers in terms of contrast. It says 40,000:1 on the top models. Would anyone know how this might compare to the new Pio's?

I thought Pio and Pana joint forces against South Korea and this year's panels are coming from Pana anyway?

The V series looks bezel-less on the photo but maybe that's just the reflection... :)

The V series looks like the current one-sheet-glass design of the 850 series

Which series has the 58" inch size? I can't see it. A 54" can't be the biggest one. :(

The V series has the 58" and what I assume is a typo, a 65" (instead of a 59") - quote from CNET report

The four-model V10 plasma line-up includes the 50-inch TC-P50V10 and the 54-inch TC-P54V10, both due in June, as well as the 58-inch TC-P58V10 and the 59-inch TC-P65V10, due in August. As expected, prices were not announced.

The 1" thick Z series looks expensive! B)

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Panasonic Expands its Energy Efficient Line of VIERA HDTVs

More info in the above link

VIERA Plasma HDTV

Z1 Series

The flagship VIERA plasma in 2009 is the Z1 series, with an one inch thin panel design and Wireless HD connectivity. Also included on the VIERA Z1 is VIERA CAST web menu with the new streaming HD movie rental capability via Amazon Video-on-Demand. The Neo PDP design of the VIERA Z1 produces a brighter picture, deeper blacks, improved native contrast ratio (40,000:1) and Full-Time 1080 TV lines of motion resolution. Other Z1 model features include;1080p resolution, a THX Certified Display; an Infinite Black panel; 600Hz Sub-field Drive; and VIERA Link, and VIERA Image Viewer for playing back digital still images and AVCHD videos recorded on SD Memory Cards. The Z1 series will be available in the summer of 2009 in the new TC-54Z1, 54-inch class screen size (54" measured diagonally).

V10 Series

The VIERA V10 series are slim, 2-inch thin plasma HDTVs with built-in tuners. The V10 series offer Digital Cinema Color which helps to deliver all movie-essential colors, full THX Display certification, and the VIERA CAST web menu with Amazon Video on Demand services. The Neo PDP design of the V10 series features 1080p resolution; improved native contrast ratio of 40,000:1; Full-Time 1080 TV lines of motion resolution; an Infinite Black panel; 600Hz Sub-field Drive; VIERA Link, and VIERA Image Viewer for playing back digital still images and AVCHD videos recorded on SD Memory Cards. The V10 series is available in a 65-inch class (64.8" measured diagonally), 58-inch class (58" measured diagonally), 54-inch class (54" measured diagonally), and a 50-inch class (49.9" measured diagonally) screen size. The 50-inch model with one-sheet-of-glass design will be available in May 2009 and the remaining models will be available in the summer of 2009.

G10 Series

The VIERA G10 Plasma series include features like the VIERA CAST web menu, a THX certified Display, and VIERA Image Viewer for playing back digital still images and AVCHD videos recorded on SD Memory Cards. The NEO PDP design of the G10 series also offers 1080p resolution, native contrast ratio of 40,000:1, Full-Time 1080 TV lines of motion resolution, an Infinite Black panel, 600Hz Sub-field Drive, as well as Game Mode and VIERA Link. The G10 series will be available in a 54-inch class (54" measured diagonally), 50-inch class (49.9" measured diagonally), 46-inch class (46" measured diagonally), and 42-inch class (41.6" measured diagonally) screen size. The 42-inch, 46-inch and 50-inch HDTVs will be available in March 2009, while the 54-inch model will be available in May 2009.

S1 Series

The VIERA S1 Plasma series offers a broad range of HDTVs which also represent the first VIERA plasma series to feature the new NEO PDP designs. Key features of the S1 series include Full-Time 1080 TV lines of motion resolution, which eliminate traditional HDTV motion blur. The S1 series also feature THX certified displays together with VIERA Image Viewer. Other features include 1080p resolution; a native contrast ratio of 40,000:1; an Infinite Black panel; 600Hz Sub-field Drive; and a Game Mode. The S1 series will compliment the V10 65" screen size with its own 65-inch class (64.7" measured diagonally) product. Other S1 sizes include a 58-inch class (58" measured diagonally), a 54-inch class (54" measured diagonally), a 50-inch class (49.9" measured diagonally), a 46-inch class (46? measured diagonally), and a 42-inch class (41.6" measured diagonally). The 42-inch, 46-inch and 50-inch HDTVs will be available in March 2009 while the 54-inch will be available in the summer of 2009.

X1 Series

Panasonic?s focus in 2009 continues to be on high definition 1080p HDTVs but the VIERA X1 series represent a line of 720p plasma HDTVs which help Panasonic deliver on its promise to satisfy consumer demands for differing HDTV resolution options. The X1 VIERA HDTVs offer stunning picture performance with a 600Hz Sub-field Drive that delivers razor-sharp motion focus, VIERA Image Viewer for sharing digital photos with friends and family, and VIERA Link control of all compatible A/V home entertainment components via a single remote. The X1 series also feature improved native contrast ratio of 30,000:1, an Infinite Black panel, and a Game Mode. The VIERA X1 plasmas are available in a 50-inch class (49.9" measured diagonally) and 42-inch class (41.6" measured diagonally).

Edited by diesel

Z, V, X whatever series, what new technology will these new panels have??

"The newly developed NeoPDP technology has been incorporated into two types of PDPs. The first is a super high-efficiency 42-inch PDP that achieves triple luminance efficiency, while reducing the power consumption to 1/3 of the 2007 models*1 yet achieving the same brightness. The second is an ultra-thin 50-inch PDP just 8.8 mm (approximately 1/3 inch) in profile*2. This ultra-thin panel delivers the world's highest moving picture resolution*3 of 1080 lines.":

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/store...072009125323585

Pana's photo gallery from the CES:

http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/popup/flash...to_gallery.html

Another press release:

Panasonic’s 103-inch Plasma HDTV and Blu-ray Disc Player Combine to Deliver True Full High Definition 3D Home Theater Experience:

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/store...072009125145814

Edited by ageha

Any idea of prices on the up coming ranges when they hit Aussie stores?

They are going to introduce a lot of new models and the new lineup has more models than the 2008 lineup. I doubt they will release models in $1 steps so I expect them to expand the price range in both directions. Hopefully comparable products will be cheaper than before like every year but who knows...

They may not release every model in the range here...just like the current range. The US seems to get the full range, and we get about 80% of it.

I'll have to get used to the new model designations. Sounds a lot like the Sony Bravia range :ninja:

Any idea of prices on the up coming ranges when they hit Aussie stores?

If you base it on what happened in 2008 we will have to wait for local announcement in May, with the smaller screen sizes available around then. The bigger units to come out here much later in the year, like October.

In the USA the small Neo PDPs are coming in March, the bigger ones August. In 2008 we were about 2-3 months behind them, depending on the model.

Of course Panasonic may decide to do things differently in 2009. You would think they would want to get the Neo PDPs into stores ASAP.

As far as picture goes I doubt you are ever going to get Pioneer level of blacks on a Panasonic. Pioneer is the high end. Panasonic is much more main stream. Panasonic are competing with Sony, LG & Samsung, not Pioneer. From what people are saying on AVS, these babies PQ is a big step up from the 2008 models, and pricing is going to be very competitive. (they are thinner, and use less power, but that matters a lot less than PQ and price!)

If you base it on what happened in 2008 we will have to wait for local announcement in May, with the smaller screen sizes available around then. The bigger units to come out here much later in the year, like October.

Of course Panasonic may decide to do things differently in 2009. You would think they would want to get the Neo PDPs into stores ASAP.

They did similar with 2007 models. They want to get them out to stores ASAP, but the US is such a bigger market.

As far as picture goes I doubt you are ever going to get Pioneer level of blacks on a Panasonic. Pioneer is the high end. Panasonic is much more main stream.

Current 2008 Panasonics are probably better than Pioneer 2007 models. They have utilised some of Pioneer IP in the plasma cell structure, and the next models will be shared glass, and I don't think Pioneer "Kuro" electronics will make a huge difference. Pioneers biggest advantage so far has been their glass. The others have been playing catchup.

Apparently how the panel is driven DOES make a significant difference, but the main reason Pioneer panels have better blacks is because of the heavy tint used in the front glass, not so much the panel its self, that’s why Pioneers look dull but have better blacks, they effectively have sun glasses on. :D If you look at Pioneer and Panasonic plasmas swithed off in a light room you can clearly see the difference in front glass tinting.

I expect the G10 Pioneers to continue with this strategy and since the NEO PDPs are inherently much brighter, darker glass can be used to improve blacks while maintaining reasonable output levels. Panasonic appear to have chosen to go for maximum brightness at the expense of blacks.

Until such time as Plasmas can be made to run with zero idle current on the pixels true black will not be possible, that looks like it may happen in 2011.

It would be possible to significantly improve the black level on the Panasonics by applying a suitable tint film to the screen, the big problem would be obtaining and applying a suitable colour neutral film, effectively a massive neutral density filter.

Edited by Owen

of course Panasonic may decide to do things differently in 2009. You would think they would want to get the Neo PDPs into stores ASAP.

Hi

No inside knowledge other than a phone call to Panny Oz. and i know people have been promised Jan.-Feb. delivery for 2008 models but i wouldn't be surprised if our model roll out time frame is similar to the USA one.

either way, it's time i started saving :rolleyes:

as soon as Son found out about the plasma he said ' good, i get to choose which tv i want to take when i move out ' :o:lol:

so 2010 - 2011 i'll be back looking for a new one :rolleyes:

won't seem like long, at my age, the years kind of go past at the speed of light :ninja: