Panasonic Th-50pz800a Rrp $3649-

I was actually quite suprised to see the RRP of the new Panasonic of $3649 on the website as it had been mentioned both here and by some retailers that RRP was over $4k. Just rang Panasonic to confirm and it is indeed correct-

http://panasonic.com.au/products/category.cfm?objectID=46

Release is end of July though. Should provide some competition for the Pioneer Kuro finally. Street will obviously be less.

Edited by Spero D.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually quite suprised to see the RRP of the new Panasonic of $3649 on the website as it had been mentioned both here and by some retailers that RRP was over $4k. Just rang Panasonic to confirm and it is indeed correct-

http://panasonic.com.au/products/category.cfm?objectID=46

Release is end of July though. Should provide some competition for the Pioneer Kuro finally. Street will obviously be less.

Well, one of the local major store in Canberra said I can have it for $3200 thats the 50PZ800a. I am still deciding whether its worth it or get the Px80a instead, and I can get the 700a for $1600. What do you guys reckon? viewing distance is 3.5 meters away.

Edited by Beall

Well, one of the local major store in Canberra said I can have it for $3200 thats the 50PZ800a. I am still deciding whether its worth it or get the Px80a instead, and I can get the 700a for $1600. What do you guys reckon? viewing distance is 3.5 meters away.

hi mate..which store you have been quoted fro 3200 ?

Online stores digitalcentre.com.au and theelectricdiscounter.com.au both now have the TH50PZ800A listed at $2899

Wow. Great to know. Don't know how Pioneer will compete with the Kuro at this price point considering the Panasonics have closed the margin with this model. However the new 9 series Kuro which isn't due until September may draw this margin back out again :)

Id be interested in the 850 model. The 800 dosent' support Deep Colour.

http://www.hdmi.org/pdf/HDMI_Insert_FINAL_8-30-06.pdf

It has x.v colour.Isn't that deep enough?How long will it be before there is an BD authored in deep colour anyway?Comparing a x.v colour panel side by side with a deep colour panel with identical content and calibration is not a feature anyone in the real world is going to a/b test is it?

Guest bob_the_builder
anyone interested for a group buy on the TH-50PZ800a ? :rolleyes:

Just looked online and $2699 for the TH-50PZ800a from digitalcentre.com.au which looks great to me. Some places are advertising the 50pz700a for $2999 over here in Adelaide!

So how does a group buy work? Does it matter that I'm in Adelaide?

Guest c_y_b

Hey all,

I have been doing some research on plasma's as i will purchase one in the next couple of months. With the Pioneer Kuro being about 1.5K over my budget, it pretty much steers my decision into the upcoming panasonic models. I have recently popped into JB and see they have now stocked the TH-46PZ800A. With my expectations of this panel being huge i.e (1,000,000 dynamic contrast ratio), i was shocked to see the adjacent Samsung LCD boasting a whoping 50000:1 contrast ratio with a blacker black (identical movie being played synchronously). And the LG Scarlet on the other side also packed a blacker black than the panny. This just does not seem right to me. I mean my hitatchi plasma i bought 4 years ago has a better black than the panny ( :blink: )

I find hard to process that an LCD has a blacker black than a plasma especially a recently released plasma!!. the only thing i didnt like about the samsung was the frequent white flickering of the scanning lines that you can see from up close. I had pretty much made up mind that the TH-50PZ800A was going to be the plasma to get come Sept/Oct, but this recent encounter has got me going back to drawing board. For those of you curious about the Samsung i was looking at, i didnt take down the model number but it was a 46 inch LCD with 100Hz refresh rate. Im guessing the series 6, but the sales rep mentioned that there was a newer model coming in very soon. best guess is the LA46A650 or LA46A610.

What to do and where to start???

Opinions/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!

I noticed that the Th-50pz800a was ticketed at $2599 today in Hornsby Westfield. I think it was Myer.

I would think it may of actually been either the 46"model or the older 700a model since the 50" isn't out until end of next month.

hi mate..which store you have been quoted fro 3200 ?

Canberra Myer store in Civic. I just asked what the best price and the sale guy came back with the figure of $3200. H

e even quoted me over the phone before I went there and spoke to him.

I have recently popped into JB and see they have now stocked the TH-46PZ800A. With my expectations of this panel being huge i.e (1,000,000 dynamic contrast ratio), i was shocked to see the adjacent Samsung LCD boasting a whoping 50000:1 contrast ratio with a blacker black (identical movie being played synchronously). And the LG Scarlet on the other side also packed a blacker black than the panny. This just does not seem right to me. ... I had pretty much made up mind that the TH-50PZ800A was going to be the plasma to get come Sept/Oct, but this recent encounter has got me going back to drawing board.

Opinions/advice would be much appreciated.

Which JB store by the way? I was also in a JB store today and saw the new TH-46PZ800A. The picture was awful - it looked poor next to the adjacent sets with the same source material playing.

I'll assume the set I saw needs some adjustment to get it right as Reviews suggest the colour reproduction on the 800A is an improvement on the 700A. But even if that was the problem, from what I could see it still suffers from the same haziness previous Panas suffer from.

Edited by MavDTV

dont even bother judging the screens from jb, some of the set ups are hopeless..

you need to have a blue ray connected straight to the tv to appreciate it, my jb has a bravia and its green, they havent change the settings for weeks..

the pana set up correctly is the best at the moment, not including the pio..

Perhaps as a sign of how competitive things are going to get in the fortnight or so between the time the 50PZ800A should hit the stores and the Opening Ceremony, I managed to place an order for my Pana today for $2750 at The Good Guys. This was for a cash purchase - I was quoted $2849 as the sticker price and my total outlay is $2999 with 2 years extended warranty and delivery.

That is quite the massive gulf from the RRP, especially considering the 46" is selling for higher than that right now!

dont even bother judging the screens from jb, some of the set ups are hopeless..

I don't think the setup was the issue. I wouldn't have written what I did if I thought that was the sole factor.

I've now seen the TH-46PZ800A in 4 different setups (aside from JB). The colour reproduction seems to have improved slightly over the 700A but that haziness/lack of definition previous Panas suffer from, still seems to be present even without the anti glare coating. But having said that I still agree that it's probably the next ranking Plasma after the Kuro's.

But having said that I still agree that it's probably the next ranking Plasma after the Kuro's.

Your right there. You pay $1600 more for the Kuro above the Panasonic so in the end it comes down want compromises you want to make. As you said they do come next to the Kuro so it isn't a bad compromise.

I've now seen the TH-46PZ800A in 4 different setups (aside from JB). The colour reproduction seems to have improved slightly over the 700A but that haziness/lack of definition previous Panas suffer from, still seems to be present even without the anti glare coating. But having said that I still agree that it's probably the next ranking Plasma after the Kuro's.

I've pretty much found the same.

I was really stoked about getting the new TH-46PZ800A for our living room, and still am, read the US reviews, thought it was the best TV available for its price point, but lining it up against the 46" Sony Bravia XBR 2007 model, all the lights around the TV's off, and a blu-ray movie on display, I was in no doubt the picture was sharper and the edges crisper on the Sony. The Bravia has a nicer picture. However for fast moving scenes the blur around the darker colours will still evident on the Sony, and because I notice it, it would annoy me watching it every day. For fast-moving TV, the Panasonic was superior but still suffered haziness/blur around the edges, as you noticed.

I'll still get the Panasonic plasma as its use will be for TV and blu-ray movies, but its not as perfect as I thought it would be. The improved contrast over the 700A was clearly visible.

Edited by Abaddon

You pay $1600 more for the Kuro above the Panasonic so in the end it comes down want compromises you want to make.

Yeh but I suppose the best similar pricepoint comparison between Pana & Pioneer would be between the new 50PZ800A and the end of line 508XDA. The latter is pretty well sold out but a few rare sets have been seen around. I'd guess that the predominant view would still be that the 508XDA (despite it's lower res.) would be a preferred choice over the 50PZ800A for the same $.