Is It Just Me...

Is it just me or is there a complete lull in gaming right now? The last game I bought was NBA 2K8 back in November and I haven't even been remotely excited about anything else in the meantime. Even before NBA, I hadn't bought a game for quite a while. I'm very much looking forward to GTA IV but other than that the landscape looks quite barren!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or is there a complete lull in gaming right now? The last game I bought was NBA 2K8 back in November and I haven't even been remotely excited about anything else in the meantime. Even before NBA, I hadn't bought a game for quite a while. I'm very much looking forward to GTA IV but other than that the landscape looks quite barren!

Don't quote me on this, but I'm almost 99.999% certain that it's just you. <_<

Interesting that you didn't cite which platform your gaming 'drought' is on, however, since the bulk of this gaming folder is apparently 99.999% pro-PS3 these days - God knows why - I'm taking a wild stab in the dark and presupposing you can't find anything worth playing on PS3... well, apart from UT3, should it arrive on time.

Myself, with deep pockets and perpetual time on my hands, it's been a literal smorgasbord of goodness on 360. After polishing off Mass Effect and The Orange Box just prior to Christmas, it was straight into Assassin's Creed and three solid weeks of NFS ProStreet.

The post-Christmas sales - a misnomer to be sure, given the length and breadth of 360's quality library nowadays - saw me picking up a few belated releases like Call of Juarez, Clive Barker's Jericho and Virtua Fighter 5. Of those, I've thoroughly devoured the the first two while VF5 remains shrinkwrapped and 'ready to rumble'.

In fact, despite my eternal night(s), it's hard keeping pace with the [360] release schedule nowadays... both Turok and Lost Odyssey arrived on the same day, and I'm thoroughly picking over the bones of Turok's Inhuman difficulty (must be unlocked) before unwrapping the four-disc opus that is Odyssey. Then again, according to online etailers, both Lost and Frontlines: Fuel of War are shipping within a week...

Not forgetting Turning Point: Fall of Liberty, Alone in the Dark and Condemned 2: Bloodshot... all shaping up for March. If the gaming landscape looks "barren" to you, then may I humbly suggest taking a stroll through your nearest games emporium, if only to see what's available on platforms other than PS3. :P

Don't quote me on this, but I'm almost 99.999% certain that it's just you. <_<

Interesting that you didn't cite which platform your gaming 'drought' is on, however, since the bulk of this gaming folder is apparently 99.999% pro-PS3 these days - God knows why - I'm taking a wild stab in the dark and presupposing you can't find anything worth playing on PS3... well, apart from UT3, should it arrive on time.

Myself, with deep pockets and perpetual time on my hands, it's been a literal smorgasbord of goodness on 360. After polishing off Mass Effect and The Orange Box just prior to Christmas, it was straight into Assassin's Creed and three solid weeks of NFS ProStreet.

The post-Christmas sales - a misnomer to be sure, given the length and breadth of 360's quality library nowadays - saw me picking up a few belated releases like Call of Juarez, Clive Barker's Jericho and Virtua Fighter 5. Of those, I've thoroughly devoured the the first two while VF5 remains shrinkwrapped and 'ready to rumble'.

In fact, despite my eternal night(s), it's hard keeping pace with the [360] release schedule nowadays... both Turok and Lost Odyssey arrived on the same day, and I'm thoroughly picking over the bones of Turok's Inhuman difficulty (must be unlocked) before unwrapping the four-disc opus that is Odyssey. Then again, according to online etailers, both Lost and Frontlines: Fuel of War are shipping within a week...

Not forgetting Turning Point: Fall of Liberty, Alone in the Dark and Condemned 2: Bloodshot... all shaping up for March. If the gaming landscape looks "barren" to you, then may I humbly suggest taking a stroll through your nearest games emporium, if only to see what's available on platforms other than PS3. :P

It probably is just me... but then again, I have pretty high standards and would rather own two or three excellent games than 10 'good' games.

It probably is just me... but then again, I have pretty high standards and would rather own two or three excellent games than 10 'good' games.

Agreed - but it also a matter of me being able to find the time to play 2 or 3 games versus 10, so I have to prioritise and choose "excellent" titles (ie titles I personally like best :) altho I wish I did have the time to play everything!!

I personally looking forward to Vegas2 the most, and also interested in Army of Two & Frontlines, Too Human for the x360, altho I did enjoy the demo for Turning Point as well - but for now I just waiting for TimeCrisis4 for the PS3 to arrive in the mail for some mindless arcade shooting fun, and I think I am on my fourth of fifth time through Portal - love it!! :wub:

cheers :)

Not wishing to sound pernickety, but again you've failed to elaborate on the platform that's letting you down. If indeed your standards are as high as you maintain, then I'd strenuously argue that you've chosen the wrong platform for "excellent" games...

Given that your last purchase, NBA 2K8, falls somewhat below the top-ranked games for all systems. If in doubt, check the Top 10 games listed at Metacritic, and compare those 'averages' to your chosen game:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/nba2k8?q=NBA 2K8

A'ight? ;)

To be honest I'm relieved that there's a bit of a lull. I've still got Gears of Wars (yeah I know - how long do I need!?) to finish as well as Bioshock. Then there's HL2 Ep2, Assassins Creed and Mass Effect. Once they're knocked over I guess I'll get the chance to finish Portal.

Kids really do mess up your gaming.

Guest Snack Doctor

It's just you. Even going just since the beginning of November i have bought Mass Effect, Call of Duty 4, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction,The Orange Box, Devil May Cry 4 and Burnout Paradise, all must have titles from my perspective. I will also be picking up Lost Odyssey any day now.

Add to that in the next 3-4 months we will have Metal Gear Solid 4, GTAIV, Alone in the Dark, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, and probably others I've forgotten.

I think we are in one of the best few months of releases in recent times.

How many hours did you pump into that?

I've only just started.

really depends on whether you do every side quest/mission on offer, and explore every planet in every system to find all the metals and artifacts etc (can get boring)

I think if you just play the main quest, its a matter of like 8-12 hours or so, and if you do absolutely everything (which I tried to do), think it took me bout 35-45 hours.

cheers :)

Edited by pandemik

How many hours did you pump into that?

I've only just started.

Re Mass Effect:

I'd like to advise that one particularly nice (or cheap?) filip for the game is that Achievements are awarded for multiple playthroughs. Without actually reaching for the disc and/or rebooting it, I think there are two available...

After some fifty hours in total (all side quests completed, etc. - well, except the Alien Romance thing, which I'm going back for ;) ), I'd started a new game in Hardcore. Especially nice to know that you can carry your current chara through - all levelled up, EVERY item and garment intact etc. - and that the new 'stuff' you find on your travels will be scaled to your level.

Oh, and in Hardcore, your character can level from 51-60 (whereas the Hard game cut off at LV 50). I'm guessing the difficulty after Hardcore will let you level from 61-70? That's a lot of gameplay for your Aussie dollar. ;)

It's just you. Even going just since the beginning of November i have bought Mass Effect, Call of Duty 4, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction,The Orange Box, Devil May Cry 4 and Burnout Paradise, all must have titles from my perspective. I will also be picking up Lost Odyssey any day now.

Add to that in the next 3-4 months we will have Metal Gear Solid 4, GTAIV, Alone in the Dark, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, and probably others I've forgotten.

I think we are in one of the best few months of releases in recent times.

Fair enough. It must just be down to personal preference. Of the games you listed, I MIGHT be tempted into buying one (COD 4) but the others don't do anything for me.

Fair enough. It must just be down to personal preference. Of the games you listed, I MIGHT be tempted into buying one (COD 4) but the others don't do anything for me.

I'm thinking it's definitely just you, if you can't find at least a couple of games to enjoy out of that list then I don't know why you are into gaming...

What types of games do you enjoy?