Pioneer Kuro 508xda Price Thread

rphhpr,

$4050 is a good deal anyway. You won't regret your purchase when you watch movies on the Kuro. When I negotiated for mine - the manager said I was getting it for $50 under cost price. So even with Pioneer rebates - I don't think these stores are making too much profit out of these displays.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guys.i'm in perth WA. i'm gonna be gettin one of these in a months time. just hunted around this arvo for prices. best i got was 4399 on 12 mths int free from rick hart belmont from some guy called daniel. if u take into account the 10% they add on for 12 mths int free then effectively you should be able to get it for 4k cash exactly. next best was jb in cannington 4450. hope this helps. also spoke to a friend who is a hn manager and he said these wont be dropping anymore in the next 6 months. not sure if this is true tho. who knows???

hi guys.i'm in perth WA. i'm gonna be gettin one of these in a months time. just hunted around this arvo for prices. best i got was 4399 on 12 mths int free from rick hart belmont from some guy called daniel. if u take into account the 10% they add on for 12 mths int free then effectively you should be able to get it for 4k cash exactly. next best was jb in cannington 4450. hope this helps. also spoke to a friend who is a hn manager and he said these wont be dropping anymore in the next 6 months. not sure if this is true tho. who knows???

Mate in 6 months time it will be close to a new model as well as a price drop !

Cheers

I cant believe i said something that stupid! (i wrote the comment at around 3am, i was exhausted, posted it in the morning without reading it)

Of course the TV has an upscaler in it, as bobby said.

but you still need an upscaling hdmi dvd player to put the signal through at HDMI, is what i was trying to say.

Bobby - is the quality really better putting a DVD through HDMI at 576p as opposed to 720p?

I would have though the scaler in the player was better than in the TV? apparently not...?

Also have you done a Dvd playback on Computer via VGA vs Dvd player via HDMI comparison for quality?

I've found the Computer DVD playback to be stunning via VGA...

When i had my TV calibrated, he used a chart to test the interlacing and scaling on both my DVD player, a Pioneer DV-400 and the TV, (LX508). He found that surprisingly, the DVD player de-interlaced better than the TV, but the TV was way way better at scaling. So we set the DVD player to 576p. If you set to 720p on the player, then it will deinterlace, upscale to 720p and then the TV will scale it again to 768p. By setting to 576p, you cut out a processing step and therefore should see less noise and artifacts.

I know this is a XDA thread, but from what i've read on the 8g forum in the UK, the XDA scaling is better than most DVD players also.

I've not tried DVD playback via VGA, but i doubt it will be better, as it's analog and should perform like a component set up i reckon

Hope this helps

Bob

Edited by bobbyf

just an update. i emailed digital centre and they came to the party with a price of 4299 on 12 months int free. 100 better than rick hart. just trying to find out if i can actually buy from digital centre , but pick the plasma up from pioneer head office in perth. will let u know.

I've not tried DVD playback via VGA, but i doubt it will be better, as it's analog and should perform like a component set up i reckon

Nah component is crap from the DVD player - the image looks smeared.

VGA is crisp and clear, i dont see how the quality could improve if i got an upscaling HDMI DVD player... The computer scales the image straight to the XDAs native res. There's also no messing around with interlacing and deinterlacing on a computer.

Thanks for the heads up with the recommended 576p output on the HDMI players.

Edited by morricio

just an update. i emailed digital centre and they came to the party with a price of 4299 on 12 months int free. 100 better than rick hart. just trying to find out if i can actually buy from digital centre , but pick the plasma up from pioneer head office in perth. will let u know.

Airhenny, i paid $3850 for my 508XDA 2 weeks ago.

Someone got the 508xda yesterday for $3780!

Someone in DARWIN paid $4000!

Surely in Perth, you can do much better than $4300!

Ill email you my receipt if you like and you can print it out and take it to Rick Hart/JB hifi/ Harvey Norman/Myer/Bing Lee/David Jones in Perth and they should drop their price below $4k....

Edited by morricio

Airhenny, i paid $3850 for my 508XDA 2 weeks ago.

Someone got the 508xda yesterday for $3780!

Someone in DARWIN paid $4000!

Surely in Perth, you can do much better than $4300!

Ill email you my receipt if you like and you can print it out and take it to Rick Hart/JB hifi/ Harvey Norman/Myer/Bing Lee/David Jones in Perth and they should drop their price below $4k....

yeah but i'm getting mine on 12 mnths int free where they have to add on 10% for finance charges. if u read my original post i said that if i was paying cash instead of delayed payment finance that i could prob get it for 4k or better, so essentially 4299 on 12 mnths int free means approx 3900 cash which isnt too far off the mark and i think WA is a little more expensive. thanx for the reciept anyway. if anyone can get 4k on 12 mnths int free let me know.

Edited by airhenny

Nah component is crap from the DVD player - the image looks smeared.

VGA is crisp and clear, i dont see how the quality could improve if i got an upscaling HDMI DVD player... The computer scales the image straight to the XDAs native res. There's also no messing around with interlacing and deinterlacing on a computer.

Thanks for the heads up with the recommended 576p output on the HDMI players.

No, Component is crap from “YOUR” DVD player.

Component being analogue and is heavily dependant on the quality of the DVD output circuitry and the displays input circuitry. A decent Component connection is fine for 1080 HD and way better then required for SD source.

If Component looks worse then HDMI, blame the poor implementation on your DVD player or display.

I was using Component at 1080i and HDMI at 1080p side by side for a while from my PC to my 70” “Full HD” 1080p display and was hard pressed to see any significant difference, even for PC applications.

I also compared HDMI and a $2 set of Component cables on my Sony HD set top box, again the difference was so insignificant after calibration I removed the HDMI cable for use else where and kept the $2 Component cables.

One would hope Pioneer equips its displays with decent Component inputs, so the problem is more likely your Player.

A high quality DVD player using Component will sh*t all over a cheap DVD player using HDMI.

By setting to 576p, you cut out a processing step and therefore should see less noise and artifacts.

Scaling never introduces noise and should not introduce artefacts either.

For DVD, a double scaled image may actually look better, so it pays to try various combinations to see what looks best rather then assume.

A decent Component connection is fine for 1080 HD and way better then required for SD source.

If Component looks worse then HDMI, blame the poor implementation on your DVD player or display.

I was using Component at 1080i and HDMI at 1080p side by side for a while from my PC to my 70†“Full HD†1080p display and was hard pressed to see any significant difference, even for PC applications.

I also compared HDMI and a $2 set of Component cables on my Sony HD set top box, again the difference was so insignificant after calibration I removed the HDMI cable for use else where and kept the $2 Component cables.

One would hope Pioneer equips its displays with decent Component inputs, so the problem is more likely your Player.

A high quality DVD player using Component will sh*t all over a cheap DVD player using HDMI.

When the DVD player plays over YPbPr component into the TV, the TV says it is playing an input of 576p.

Before "Upscaling" DVD players, did YPbPr component output to 1080p? or has 1080p YPbPr output been a recent addition to DVD players, along with HDMI?

im guessing the latter...?

And also - you're saying i wont see a difference between playing DVD's through VGA on a laptop (it already looks damn good), and a high quality upscaling HDMI/YPbPr DVD player?

I would love to hear your recommendations for High quality upscaling DVD player brands and how much i should pay for them.

thanks owen.

Edited by morricio

Anyone else with some prices for this? I have started shopping and wondered how are others are going. I am in Tasmania so my options are little more limited.

The usual HN, Clive Peeters, Retravision but am not opposed to an internet sale if the place is reputable.