Pioneer Develops Thinnest, Blackest Tvs - Ces (smh Article)

"the display is so black that even when it is on with no image displayed, the television is invisible when you walk into a completely dark room".

I love concept sound of this screen. Although the 127cm, 19mm thick LCD sounds sweet also.

Regarding the Plasma though. If it's "THAT" black how will hold up in watching something like that during daylight hours. WOuld it be able to emit enough light to be viewable in well lit room (just thinking out loud here).

All the same i want one. I'm already getting used to my 58" ;)

Cheers

I love concept sound of this screen. Although the 127cm, 19mm thick LCD sounds sweet also.

Regarding the Plasma though. If it's "THAT" black how will hold up in watching something like that during daylight hours. WOuld it be able to emit enough light to be viewable in well lit room (just thinking out loud here).

Cheers

all new panasonic plasmas

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/store...atGroupId=30531

Interesting... they don't mention 24p though... wonder if they've included it.

I do find that a bit strange myself. Although arnt there some panels out there that do 1080/24p playback, but advertise it, as it's seen as part and parcel (though i wouldnt have thought so). They advertise there Blu-ray players as such though :mellow: . Those new 2008 plasmas do look nice though from teh basic specs listed.

Interesting... they don't mention 24p though... wonder if they've included it.

my Pio 50MXE20 Plasma supports 24p now. B)

No mention of it in the manual tho but my BD player sends 24p perfectly and the display agrees that it is receiving and displaying 24p.

That plasma sounds like my next television for sure. Looks like my 60" 1080p Kuro will only be around for another 18 months.

I'd say that definitely they would have addressed day time viewing, otherwise what's the point? I believe they mentioned the bat cave viewing to illustrate just how black, anything lighter will wash out the superb black level cabapility.

I must be one of only a few people who want a 70” plus screen, 58”-60” just does not cut it.

I remember when a 60” Plasma cost $40k, so a 70”-80” for the same or less is not too much to ask for these days.

What ever happened to “high end” products?

I must be one of only a few people who want a 70" plus screen, 58"-60" just does not cut it.

I remember when a 60" Plasma cost $40k, so a 70"-80" for the same or less is not too much to ask for these days.

What ever happened to "high end" products?

I would love a 70"-80" plasma. It would be perfect for filling out the cabinet (left->right). I remeber when the first 40-42" were going for close to $30k. You do have that insane 103" Pana :blink: , what is something like $120k isnt it. Now there is a premium for you.

Who knows maybe in another 3yrs the 80" will be the price of the 58-63" segment is now. Similar trend to what 42" screens were, what 3-4yrs ago.

Cheers

During daylight the new screen is so black that it is able to replicate the effect of a black hole and sucks in all surround light and sound. Now what about that for a marketing pitch :-)

I must be one of only a few people who want a 70†plus screen, 58â€-60†just does not cut it.

I remember when a 60†Plasma cost $40k, so a 70â€-80†for the same or less is not too much to ask for these days.

What ever happened to “high end†products?

Owen if you can afford a 70" screen can you please shout me a Pioneer 50" please. Any one of the two new ones please. I'm not fussy :-)

Edited by emh101

Who knows maybe in another 3yrs the 80" will be the price of the 58-63" segment is now. Similar trend to what 42" screens were, what 3-4yrs ago.

Back in may there was an announcement that Hitachi and Panasonic had agreed to cross-supply each other with v.large plasmas -- Panasonic to supply Hitachi with 103-inch PDPs in fiscal 2007 & Hitachi to supply Panasonic with 85-inch PDPs in fiscal 2008. So hopefully late 2008 or early 2009 will see 85" screens become fairly widely available ... unless they make it to market in tiny quantities like the 71" screens did.

Edited by Ajax9000

And this for a comparison of now-KURO vs tomorrow-KURO:

http://gizmodo.com/341434/battlemodo-pione...v-ever-and-wins

Strangely though it seems they've chosen to compare the lower-end current KURO (which I believe has a 15000:1 ratio vs 20000:1 of the LX series) against the prototype with "unlimited" contrast.

I suppose they were really going for the 'wow' factor here.

Back in may there was an announcement that Hitachi and Panasonic had agreed to cross-supply each other with v.large plasmas -- Panasonic to supply Hitachi with 103-inch PDPs in fiscal 2007 & Hitachi to supply Panasonic with 85-inch PDPs in fiscal 2008. So hopefully late 2008 or early 2009 will see 85" screens become fairly widely available ... unless they make it to market in tiny quantities like the 71" screens did.

Actually, no. :)

103 divided by two = 2 x 50 inch panels.

85 divided by two = 2 x 42 inch panels.

This way Panasonic can close down 42 inch panel production lines which are decreasing in sales volume and replace them with full HD production lines which are increasing in sales.

Hitachi gets to sell more of its ALIS panels which have a vertical line resolution of 1080, better than Panasonic's 768 line panels.

And this for a comparison of now-KURO vs tomorrow-KURO:

http://gizmodo.com/341434/battlemodo-pione...v-ever-and-wins

Strangely though it seems they've chosen to compare the lower-end current KURO (which I believe has a 15000:1 ratio vs 20000:1 of the LX series) against the prototype with "unlimited" contrast.

I suppose they were really going for the 'wow' factor here.

The LX Pioneer is better then the XDA but blacks are definitely not black.

People got all excited about the Kuro because it was the first flat panel to even get close to black, everything else is just worse.

My old CRT RPTV was really black, just like the prototype Pioneer, none of that glow that continues to plague digital TV’s.

If Pioneer can provide a display with blacks as good as the prototype without sacrificing performance in other areas they really will have a fine product.

Next thing is to make them in big sizes like 80”.