Samsung P9 (ps50p91fdx) Owners Thread

Hi dptdp, I have a pure AV Belkin HDMI cable - did yours run perfect straight out of the box?

Tried turning off all features as suggested by PJ but no luck, the burst of sound is so loud that my old lady just yelled at me from the 2nd level of our house to "stop trying to break the TV"

I have the same cable as well and they have a life time warranty - I suggest you take it back to the store and have them exchange it...

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi dptdp, I have a pure AV Belkin HDMI cable - did yours run perfect straight out of the box?

Tried turning off all features as suggested by PJ but no luck, the burst of sound is so loud that my old lady just yelled at me from the 2nd level of our house to "stop trying to break the TV"

Yes it did. Make sure that your cable is compatible with 1080p because I saw at JB they have some of the pureAV cables are compatible only up to 1080i so I picked one up a one specifically said its 1080p. Add to that I didn't see a single cable longer than 6’ which has the 1080p support.

Yes it did. Make sure that your cable is compatible with 1080p because I saw at JB they have some of the pureAV cables are compatible only up to 1080i so I picked one up a one specifically said its 1080p. Add to that I didn't see a single cable longer than 6’ which has the 1080p support.

Yeah its says "supports 1080p HDMI 1.3"

Hey all.. Just got my p91 on the wall.. How awesome does it look.. Looks like Im in the market for a HDD/DVD recorder though, anything but hidef is a bit crap but man, when its on WOW!! and, not to mention, samsung are offering white tellys now in their bonus offer.. what a deal. I just cant imagine how much bigger TV's can get - but no doubt they can.. Anyone got a Samsung DVD/HDD recorder thingy? be keen to hear how the match is.

Out

Heya ... been trawling through trying to find pricing and options for mounting the p91FDX on the wall. I've found the SAMSUNG adjustable one online for around $ 800, but that's a bit overkill. Are there any cheaper options or is this what you went with?

Also, is this a DIY thing? I'm not so handy/trust my skills with a $3k device - how much should I expect to pay to have this installed? (Or is it cheaper to just get 45x 1Kg 3M hooks? - hahaha)

Not sure about that particular DVD player, or the static bursts that you mention - but if you haven't done so already, definitely start with turning OFF some of the TV picture enhancements, like dynamic contrast, DNIe etc in movie or standard mode only. Makes a huge difference in some cases.

Have a play with turning upscaling on/off from the DVD player too - honestly, using the PS3 for dvd playback i'm still a bit undecided as to how much difference it makes, TV does a good job at upscaling as it is and it may just produce unnecessary artifacts.

P

Does anyone know if this should make a difference. I tried my HDMI cable in the HDMI/DVI slot and the flickering has gone as well as the sound bursts but at 1080p it still draws white outilines between the light and dark shades of an image.

It looks fine in 1080i, so now i don't know whether its the cable, player or the HDMI port on the TV. Can anyone recommend any tests to isolate the problem. Many thanks

Does anyone know if this should make a difference. I tried my HDMI cable in the HDMI/DVI slot and the flickering has gone as well as the sound bursts but at 1080p it still draws white outilines between the light and dark shades of an image.

It looks fine in 1080i, so now i don't know whether its the cable, player or the HDMI port on the TV. Can anyone recommend any tests to isolate the problem. Many thanks

If it looks like the following link.... http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/3074/04012008049rj4.jpg you've got the same issue that myself and Jomac have got...

Jomac has contacted tech I think. I've contacted them myself and they've asked for images which I have sent. I seem to only get it when running at 1080p @ 60Hz via HDMI.

Waiting to hear back from them. I recommend you give them a call yourself.

Edited by Ags

If it looks like the following link.... http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/3074/04012008049rj4.jpg you've got the same issue that myself and Jomac have got...

Jomac has contacted tech I think. I've contacted them myself and they've asked for images which I have sent. I seem to only get it when running at 1080p @ 60Hz via HDMI.

I've only tested the tv with 1080px24hz blu ray and didnt have the problem, i did notice slight edges on the ps3 xmb menu which i thought was normal.. but i just tested the tv with a normal dvd upscaled to 1080p at 50hz and i get the same outlines as that photo you provided..

as some mentioned before - as the tv gets hotter so do the outlines get more noticeable..this has really pi$$ed me off..

will give samsung a call tomorrow morning about the issue as well..

after all the problems the F81 lcd series had and this - i will never be buying samsung again...

Edited by amigo

Yeah, I only have it with things running at 1080p @ 60Hz via HDMI (didn't even know the TV ran at 50Hz??).

My 360 is running via VGA at 1080p @60Hz and not a problem in the world. Only HDMI (tested all ports) has this issue.

Is there anyone here that has the same TV and a PS3 connected via HDMI (running 1080p @60Hz) that is not experiencing any issues?

Yeah, I only have it with things running at 1080p @ 60Hz via HDMI (didn't even know the TV ran at 50Hz??).

My 360 is running via VGA at 1080p @60Hz and not a problem in the world. Only HDMI (tested all ports) has this issue.

Is there anyone here that has the same TV and a PS3 connected via HDMI (running 1080p @60Hz) that is not experiencing any issues?

I am waiting for a mate of mine with the same setup try it on his aswell.. let u know as soon as i hear from him..

did samsung indicate a timeframe before they would get back to you at all ags?

Thanks so much Ags, that (pic in the link) is my exact problem. Will contact samsung tomorrow and let you know what they say. Is there a technical term i can use to describe this problem? this is really a cool forum without it i just would have accepted the problem and done nothing.

Cheers

Thanks so much Ags, that (pic in the link) is my exact problem. Will contact samsung tomorrow and let you know what they say. Is there a technical term i can use to describe this problem? this is really a cool forum without it i just would have accepted the problem and done nothing.

Cheers

Very interested in the response, this will stop me purchasing this display. Surely an oversea models would experience the same problem and have internet traffic addressing it.

I have had my Samsung for 4 weeks now. I run it through my Media Centre PC and have not experienced any issues. In fact the picture is far better than nay of the setups in the shops that I previewed the screen in. In fact I go so far as to say it is even better than what was respresented by the Pioneer 508. But in fairness they were all setup in the standard setup with the retailers.

I can say blacks are impressive. Motion is great. The Cricket looked natural. Even standard DVD'd look fantastic. I cannot wait to get a Bluray/HDDVD drive for my media center once the price becomes reasonable.

All in all the Samsung is a great buy and I have no regrets with my purchase.

I have had my Samsung for 4 weeks now. I run it through my Media Centre PC and have not experienced any issues. In fact the picture is far better than nay of the setups in the shops that I previewed the screen in. In fact I go so far as to say it is even better than what was respresented by the Pioneer 508. But in fairness they were all setup in the standard setup with the retailers.

I can say blacks are impressive. Motion is great. The Cricket looked natural. Even standard DVD'd look fantastic. I cannot wait to get a Bluray/HDDVD drive for my media center once the price becomes reasonable.

All in all the Samsung is a great buy and I have no regrets with my purchase.

Any 1 else hear the sound of the plastic surround on the top of the plasma makes noise?. The noise sound like the plastic is expanding and bending from the heat produce by the TV. Sound a bit like statics noise during operation and even after u shut down the TV

Any 1 else hear the sound of the plastic surround on the top of the plasma makes noise?. The noise sound like the plastic is expanding and bending from the heat produce by the TV. Sound a bit like statics noise during operation and even after u shut down the TV

Hi Peter

Yeh mine does this, I think its the heat sinks. its actually in the manual on page one or something and is normal. Glad someone else mentioned it though, my guess is they all do it or people have em up so loud you cant hear it.

Not sure about that particular DVD player, or the static bursts that you mention - but if you haven't done so already, definitely start with turning OFF some of the TV picture enhancements, like dynamic contrast, DNIe etc in movie or standard mode only. Makes a huge difference in some cases.

Have a play with turning upscaling on/off from the DVD player too - honestly, using the PS3 for dvd playback i'm still a bit undecided as to how much difference it makes, TV does a good job at upscaling as it is and it may just produce unnecessary artifacts.

P

Peejay, from what I have heard Ps3 is NOT the device to play dvds on, you would be much better advised to put a upscaling dvd player on it, mine looks phenomenal on dvds and stuff and i have a pioneed dvd player. For bluray though u should see a world of difference.

Hey Guys,

I just rang tech support for my p9 and will be getting someone to look at it this week. Is anyone still having a problem with the buzzing sound from their p9? :)

I just ignored it for a few weeks, but after hearing my sisters plasma.....I decided its a little too loud. You can hear it from 4 metres away compared to my sisters whose tv you have to put your ear up to the set,

Hi Kello,

Yes, I've got the buzzing problem too. The buzz varies depending on the content being displayed (HD vs SD, dark vs light) but most of the time I can hear it easily from 3.7 metres (viewing distance) over the top of the broadcast sound. Have had the TV for a couple of weeks now but the buzz isn't getting any better and I'm not getting used to it so I will be calling Samsung too. Would be interested to hear how you get on.

Ags good pic mate , thats exactly the same and definitely only in 1080P mode via HDMI , 1080i is ok , still waiting for tech to come over with new HDMI board.

Looks like a lot of people having the same problem!

I have just returned from Myers and saw the same display problem "white static outline around some boundaries" this was through a toshiba Blu-Ray player via 1080p. I have decided I will look at the panasonic 1080p display instead it was playing next to the samasung there was no problem. This would most likely be a firmware issue I would think.

I wonder for those who haven't experienced the problem have you tried 1080p blu-ray playback.

Hi Kello,

Yes, I've got the buzzing problem too. The buzz varies depending on the content being displayed (HD vs SD, dark vs light) but most of the time I can hear it easily from 3.7 metres (viewing distance) over the top of the broadcast sound. Have had the TV for a couple of weeks now but the buzz isn't getting any better and I'm not getting used to it so I will be calling Samsung too. Would be interested to hear how you get on.

Moosey,

The tech guy said he will order parts and hopefully have them by the end of the week, if not next week. Ill def let you know how i go. I love this tv....but yeah, the whole buzzing thing seems a bit overboard. Hopefully the tech will be able to resolve it. He mentioned that it was something to do with it drawing power and its "coil". Not sure if im recalling the right terms lol

But youre right...it does vary based on what is being viewed. It really reminds me of the sound my refrigerator makes. If all else fails and that is just how the tv is supposed to sound...ill prob try out that tile solution in the sticky thread on the main page.