Samsung P9 (ps50p91fdx) Owners Thread

Regarding the sparkling white pic issue, all I've been told is that a tech will come see me.

I'm sure in a week once we have had tech's visit all of us there will be a conclusion and hopefully the same for everyone.

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the sparkling white pic issue, all I've been told is that a tech will come see me.

I'm sure in a week once we have had tech's visit all of us there will be a conclusion and hopefully the same for everyone.

I called the Tech guy that Samsung said would call me (he had never heard of me and had no information to call me) and he suggested that i get Clive Anthony's to replace the TV for a new one as mine is less than 2 weeks old. Called clive Anthony's and the salesman said it may be an issue with the cable, when i insisted he told me his manager will call me back tonight. will let you know how it goes.

Guest Gregools
Gregools that was the store I visited today also. If you looked closely (unless they changed the video from the 'singing couple') the white dotted outline issue was noticable.. I was there about 11:30am.

Went back to Myers twice today and they now have something other than the 'singing couple' playing but the same sparkling white dots issue remains, they have the same feed playing on a number of other models and brands who do not display this issue...

It is not a good look when the display model you are trying to sell has an issue like this.

I have basically decided to hold off on buying until after the 15th LCD bonus is over to see if the price drops but will now also be watching here to see if this 'sparkiling white dot' issue is also resolved or I will be looking to other brands, the Pioneer is starting to look a whole lot better...

Hopefully someone from Samsung monitors this forum and is now dealing with this issue at a higher level than forcing consumers back to Myers, HN, GG, et al to try to get this one resolved. It seems like it is not a one off issue or a cable problem.....

I called the Tech guy that Samsung said would call me (he had never heard of me and had no information to call me) and he suggested that i get Clive Anthony's to replace the TV for a new one as mine is less than 2 weeks old. Called clive Anthony's and the salesman said it may be an issue with the cable, when i insisted he told me his manager will call me back tonight. will let you know how it goes.

The manager from Clive Anthony's got back to me promptly and I am getting a new TV delivered either sat or monday. Happy with the way Clive Anthony's has handled this so far.

Edited by slippery

Went back to Myers twice today and they now have something other than the 'singing couple' playing but the same sparkling white dots issue remains, they have the same feed playing on a number of other models and brands who do not display this issue...

It is not a good look when the display model you are trying to sell has an issue like this.

I have basically decided to hold off on buying until after the 15th LCD bonus is over to see if the price drops but will now also be watching here to see if this 'sparkiling white dot' issue is also resolved or I will be looking to other brands, the Pioneer is starting to look a whole lot better...

Hopefully someone from Samsung monitors this forum and is now dealing with this issue at a higher level than forcing consumers back to Myers, HN, GG, et al to try to get this one resolved. It seems like it is not a one off issue or a cable problem.....

I'm doing exactly what you are planning.. Was ready to jump in.

You would think they would be jumping to address this issue at least by a formal response.

The manager from Clive Anthony's got back to me promptly and I am getting a new TV delivered either sat or monday. Happy with the way Clive Anthony's has handled this so far.

hopefully the new one has no prorblems.. lucky you.. im jealous..

i've had the tv now for a little over a month and i only realised i had the issue when i read this thread....

Guest Gregools

That is great news that they have agreed to replace it for you.

I guess the million dollar question for the rest of us is did the Manager agree that your unit has a "Known Error" (ITIL term) or problem and will send it back to Samsung or did he just "placate a whining customer" and will just put your current one back into stock and sell it again next week to one of us?

Sorry I am just becoming way too jaded and disillusioned in my old age...

Let us know if you can find out what they itend to do with the "broken" one...

Anyway, went to HN Dandenong last Sunday, got the 50" for $3,350 with minimal haggling on 2 years no deposit no repayments, TV got delivered 10am Monday morning! Very easy to set up and operate, amazing picture - can't wait to get a Blue Ray player now!

This forum has been very helpful and informative and made my decision making/buying process much easier as this is my first HDTV, so thanks to you all!

Man that is awesome time. I got told at least 4 to 8 weeks minimum ;(

That is great news that they have agreed to replace it for you.

I guess the million dollar question for the rest of us is did the Manager agree that your unit has a "Known Error" (ITIL term) or problem and will send it back to Samsung or did he just "placate a whining customer" and will just put your current one back into stock and sell it again next week to one of us?

Sorry I am just becoming way too jaded and disillusioned in my old age...

Let us know if you can find out what they itend to do with the "broken" one...

Yeah amigo thanks to you and to Jomac for putting me on to the "know error" (by forum members anyway) quick smart which enabled me to complain within the two week period.

Gregools, I tend to think the manager has checked out this site, as i mentioned it as the source for my discovering that others have the same problem which gave me evidence to prove that i wasn't just a whinger.

As for what they will do with my set once they have it back it will probably be fixed and resold as a second or ex-display model.

Its really a shame as it is perfect in all other aspects (whisper quite), great picture etc etc.

Fingers crossed the new one has no issues

Spoke to the tech and they are ordering some parts (that will take around 3-4 business days).

They'll come to my place and fix it there. All good (as long as the problem is fixed).

I am quite interested in the outcome of this service call...

Do you mind let us know the results once Samsung Tech have carried out the replacement...

Tks in advance

N.

You know, these things SMACK of recall. They should have a recall if there is a known fault. I bet they are figuring that most users wont even use 1080P on it and see the fault. Has anyone found out if samsung or the techs have a fix for the buzzing yet?

cheers

Justin

Spoke to the tech and they are ordering some parts (that will take around 3-4 business days).

They'll come to my place and fix it there. All good (as long as the problem is fixed).

Interesting... tech is suppossed to be at my house before 2pm brisbane time today... we will see what he says..

Tech has visited and has no idea what the problem is...

He said they will be contacting Samsung about it and that it's in the court to decided what to do.... Doesn't know how long it will take Samsung to come back...

This is a pain in the a55..

EDIT: I wasn't actually home while the tech was there... upon speaking to my brother who was, the tech said to him that this was the 2nd tv he had seen only today doing this.. he also mentioned that they might need to replace the whole processing unit or something like that..

Any updates from other ppl who have had a tech come out would be great...

Edited by amigo

Just so all off you know, My screen was about 3-4 weeks old when I had Myer replace it (because of buzzing). They had me ring Samsung first to see if it was something I was doing (like I was making the buzzing :rolleyes:) and when it was confirmed that it was a fault I had to ring them back. They arranged for a swap no problems.

I had called the consumer advice Dept first to see where I stood and they told me quite definately that my contract to buy the screen was with Myer and if there was a problem it was up to Myer to rectify it not Samsung. They either had to arrange for replacement or repair.

To their credit, Myer were great and replaced it without question. Infact I even got a call from them the other day to make sure everything was fine with the replacement.

There may be different statutory laws in each state but if you are having issues and have been fobbed off by the retailer it may be worth checking with your states Consumer Dept.

If you are paying $3k for an electronic device, there is an implied warranty that it will be fit to do what it was sold to you as being able to do (like play 1080p without white sparkles) if it doesn't then the retailer has a responsibility to make sure it does or give you your money back.

Don't get me wrong I'm not an agressive consumer but like all of us I like to get what I paid for.

By the way neither of my P91's had or have any problems with 1080p, All in all I'm very happy. :)

for those with the sparkling white lines... have you tried a different cable? I've been reading that some 1.3 HDMI Cables aren't actually 1080p compliant and introduce 'digital noise'... sure they might be able to handle 1080i, but 1080p needs more bandwidth.. its just a thought.. maybe go and buy an expensive cable from DSE, try it out, and then return it (as they have a 14 day money back guarantee)

for those with the sparkling white lines... have you tried a different cable? I've been reading that some 1.3 HDMI Cables aren't actually 1080p compliant and introduce 'digital noise'... sure they might be able to handle 1080i, but 1080p needs more bandwidth.. its just a thought.. maybe go and buy an expensive cable from DSE, try it out, and then return it (as they have a 14 day money back guarantee)

Already tried mate.

Guest Gregools
As for what they will do with my set once they have it back it will probably be fixed and resold as a second or ex-display model.

Its really a shame as it is perfect in all other aspects (whisper quite), great picture etc etc.

Fingers crossed the new one has no issues

Yeah found a place Online called "Audioland" who claim to be selling "Factory Seconds" out of Sydney for $2.799 which at the time I thought strange as last time I checked Samsung did not have a factory in Sydney.... Looks like they are the ones selling the units everyone on this forum have been returning. I thought it maybe a good deal if they have been refurbished by a tech but they only come with a twelve month warranty rather than the 2 year one that comes with the "new" ones.

I have done the rounds here in Canberra for prices and we really are getting stung something shocking compared to other states:

Myers $3,999

JB HiFi $3,895

HN $3,850

GG $3,799 with less for cash? I guess that means they will give you up to the 4% off if you dont use your Visa????

DSE Power House $3,850

David Jones will match any offer but dont stock any Samsung??? whats that about? Is this the same interstate or just another ACT thing?

None of these are anything like the $3,100 and $3,200 others on this forum have been claiming to have been getting.....

It makes it hard to haggle when they are all ripping us off outside the major cities.... Looks like I am going to be making a another trip down the Hume Highway again and hit the retail spaces in the big smoke.

It's an old joke but still holds true, the only good thing about Canberra is that it is only a three hour drive to Sydney.

Yeah found a place Online called "Audioland" who claim to be selling "Factory Seconds" out of Sydney for $2.799 which at the time I thought strange as last time I checked Samsung did not have a factory in Sydney.... Looks like they are the ones selling the units everyone on this forum have been returning. I thought it maybe a good deal if they have been refurbished by a tech but they only come with a twelve month warranty rather than the 2 year one that comes with the "new" ones.

I have done the rounds here in Canberra for prices and we really are getting stung something shocking compared to other states:

Myers $3,999

JB HiFi $3,895

HN $3,850

GG $3,799 with less for cash? I guess that means they will give you up to the 4% off if you dont use your Visa????

DSE Power House $3,850

David Jones will match any offer but dont stock any Samsung??? whats that about? Is this the same interstate or just another ACT thing?

None of these are anything like the $3,100 and $3,200 others on this forum have been claiming to have been getting.....

It makes it hard to haggle when they are all ripping us off outside the major cities.... Looks like I am going to be making a another trip down the Hume Highway again and hit the retail spaces in the big smoke.

It's an old joke but still holds true, the only good thing about Canberra is that it is only a three hour drive to Sydney.

A bit harsh Gregools.. I get good prices once all the research is done.. Myer most likely would match that price if not try civic...

Myers $3,999

JB HiFi $3,895

HN $3,850

DSE Power House $3,850

Feel free to haggle mate, that's the only way you'll get the best price ;-) Who cares if they think you're a loony, they don't know you and you don't know them :-D The best way to do price haggling is to take the best price that one person can offer to the other - they'll be sure to beat it 80% of the time if it's within their margins :-) This is where this forum comes in handy!

INSECTS don't like PLASMA :D

The Samsung P9 is my first PLASMA tv.

I previously had a Sony 80cm 4:3 crt TV.

I always watch the Tv in a completely darkened room.

In the summer flying insects can get into the house even through the flyscreen.

Often they would end up walking all over my screen and just loiter around.

I would have to get up out of my chair and swat them off with a light rag.

Often they would just return to the screen.

I thought when researching purchase of new plasma TV

I am going to have be careful not to damage the screen swatting off insects.

Anways, it turns out insects don't like to sit on the plasma screen too long.

Maybe too hot or some kind of electronic field being generated.

An unexpected relief.

Tech has visited and has no idea what the problem is...

He said they will be contacting Samsung about it and that it's in the court to decided what to do.... Doesn't know how long it will take Samsung to come back...

This is a pain in the a55..

EDIT: I wasn't actually home while the tech was there... upon speaking to my brother who was, the tech said to him that this was the 2nd tv he had seen only today doing this.. he also mentioned that they might need to replace the whole processing unit or something like that..

Any updates from other ppl who have had a tech come out would be great...

Cant believe I am still waiting for a Tech to come out and look at mine , seeing that your tech had no idea is not encouraging !

Out of frustration I called Samsung Consumer dept today and surprise surprise they claim to have never heard of or seen any problems with this model , I was given a some personal email details and asked to forward a link to this thread and a picture of the problem , he promised this issue would be escalated to where it matters.

I just cant believe out of all these TV's sold and counting all the non members of forums like this that they can say they have never heard of this problem , especially considering quite a few from here have also contacted Samsung.

Cant believe I am still waiting for a Tech to come out and look at mine , seeing that your tech had no idea is not encouraging !

Out of frustration I called Samsung Consumer dept today and surprise surprise they claim to have never heard of or seen any problems with this model , I was given a some personal email details and asked to forward a link to this thread and a picture of the problem , he promised this issue would be escalated to where it matters.

I just cant believe out of all these TV's sold and counting all the non members of forums like this that they can say they have never heard of this problem , especially considering quite a few from here have also contacted Samsung.

yeh samsung are full of it... i was the last person too call up from this thread and they denied getting any calls about.. i didnt feel like arguing with them... i will definitely be following up samsung on monday regardless of waiting for the tech to get back to me..

JOMAC i will pm you my personal details and feel free to mention my name if speaking with them again.. that way they can't deny no one else hasn't got the problem..

So I want to check if my tv has the sparkle issue thats been spoken about. Is there a way to check this without having a blu ray player? Im getting a hdmi cable so my upscaling dvd will upscale to 1080p, or i. Will this test it out or should I bust a gut to get a Ps3 and try some blu ray movies to see if I have the problem?

My buzzings returned, and it sucks, and all this talk of tvs being returned to samsung for modifying!!!! They should recall them all!!!

regards

Justin