New Audio Formats?

Hi,

I'm looking at getting some new HT gear to go with the NEW Kuro, Well..........

I like the idea of the yet to be realeased Samsung Blu-Ray/Hd DVD player, my problem is that my denon amp doesn't have hdmi in/out. So I'll have to use either coax or 7.1 analogue input for audio. The question is coax- can NOT do HD audio formats. 7.1- while I can set speaker size I can NOT set distances.

Now I'm yet to hear HD audio so I can not comment on it.....Is it THAT much better?

Do any HD players out there offer better 7.1 audio options for setting up.

HTPC has no HD audio options either....and this was/is a possable option to.

Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

I've got a YamiV2700 (which does not decode HD Audio) between various source players (PS3 / HTPC / Fox etc) and the 60" Kuro - I've got a reasonable 5.1 speaker setup I brought into Australia from Axiom Audio and which I've not performed any "double blind" I can tell you that DTS / DD & the HD formats (decoded by the PS/3 and pushed over HDMI as PCM) all sound great. I'll post over at the Axiom forum for more info and let you know.

Thanks

Nathan

Edited by jmone

I have the speakers.........

My SACD player doesn't have the option for setting speaker distances and I dont think it makes that much difference listenening to music....but movies I'd think would be a totally different story.

I have a Denon AVC-A1SE that has been upgraded by Denon.

Might have to wait and see what the next generation has to offer.

Denon-Link??

HTPC- Sound card http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-f...#specifications

It states-"Optical / Coaxial COMBO Port

The SPDIF Output port has 25mbps bandwidth and supports DTS-

HD/DolbyTrue HD. It is possible to shift between Optical and Coaxial in this port."

So I could output the new HD audio formats straight to my amp?

Optical.coax does not have the rated bandwidth carrying capacity for HD audio formats. No doubt they will down convert it to something such as DD or DTS for transport over the cable.

HTPC- Sound card http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-f...#specifications

It states-"Optical / Coaxial COMBO Port

The SPDIF Output port has 25mbps bandwidth and supports DTS-

HD/DolbyTrue HD. It is possible to shift between Optical and Coaxial in this port."

So I could output the new HD audio formats straight to my amp?

Doesnt sound right at all. SPDIF Optical and Coax is specced to max out at 1.5mbps. If there is a different implementation specced higher, your receiver wont accept it anyway.

How do you go about using the analogue outputs on sound cards? They dont have left front, right front .......its left/right front?? and sub/center

How does it work??

Use a cable with a 3.5mm stereo plug at one end to plug into the soundcard socket, and two RCA plugs for the amp at the other end. You need two or more of these cables depending on the number of soundcard sockets you are connecting to.

Sometimes one of the soundcard sockets will require a 3.5mm three channel plug and the cable will have three rca plugs at the other end. [This is the same as the connection arrangement often used between a standard definition stereo video camcorder and a TV set (with a camcorder, one rca plug is used for the composite video, and the two other rca plugs are used for the audio).]

Edited by MLXXX

Thanks MLXXX

How does the amp know what part of the signal is what?

Why is technology so frustrating............................

The eight or so rca analogue inputs at the back of the amplifer are each labelled: front left, etc.

You need to plug into the correct rca inputs of the amp. Once connected, you go into the soundcard driver setup software of the pc and there is usually a test button which when you click on it causes a voice announcemet to come out of each of the channels in turn. In that way you can verify the connections are correct.

Edited by MLXXX

ok..........

but both the left and right FRONT speakers signals are coming from the same output....so how do you get the different channels.....ummm for example stereo sound?

Oh I see what you are thinking.

Each analogue output socket on the soundcard actually outputs two independent channels, simultaneously. That is why you need a stereo 3.5mm plug to plug into the socket, not a mono 3.5mm plug. And it is why there are two rca plugs at the other end of the cable.

And one of the soundcard sockets may even output three channels simultaneously, which is where you would need the 3.5mm plug with three channels. [such plugs have three rings of black insulation instead of the usual two rings of insulation of a stereo plug, along the shaft of the plug.]

Edited by MLXXX