The Official Nintendo Wii Owners Thread

Well I gotta say I'm totally sold on this Epic Mickey game. I'm playing that more than anything else at the moment. My wife has found the joy of Kinect on the X360 so I get to play EM when my lads are in bed. All good for a happy successful marriage.... :D

I was givng a Kinect for Christmas...... its still in the box.

EM worth playing huh? Too bad I cant remember how to turn my Wii on anymore

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was givng a Kinect for Christmas...... its still in the box.

EM worth playing huh? Too bad I cant remember how to turn my Wii on anymore

It's surprisingly fun. I've been mucking about with Kinect Adventures and when you eventually get the hang of the whole "you are the controller BS" it becomes a refreshingly fun experience. I poo poo'd this thing right out of the gate but must say I am pleasantly surprised.

Yes EM is a must have IF you're a platform/adventure/action fan. Lot of fun.

BTW it's the button at the top of the Wii :P

It's surprisingly fun. I've been mucking about with Kinect Adventures and when you eventually get the hang of the whole "you are the controller BS" it becomes a refreshingly fun experience. I poo poo'd this thing right out of the gate but must say I am pleasantly surprised.

Yes EM is a must have IF you're a platform/adventure/action fan. Lot of fun.

BTW it's the button at the top of the Wii :P

I am a platform/adventure/action fan! I might need you to show me this "button" (BTW i need to plug it into the wall, right?) lol

Yeah im still poo pooing it - and i know as soon as i try it I will love it. I love using the Move and I hated that on priniciple...

• 1 month later...

ok, we're actually playing a game

Mr got impatient to play my Christmas present, donkey kong

it's a little fiddly for us oldies and the boat in the beach world is pissing us off :rolleyes:

would it be easier to just buy some new motion plus controllers? :D

and um, the $56 one?

http://www.ozgameshop.com/wii-accessories/...rol-in-blue-wii

or the

$64.99 one?

http://www.ozgameshop.com/wii-accessories/...undle-black-wii

and where are they cheapest?

Thankyou ^_^

world's done, my turn again :lol:

How do you get Dolby sound from the games? the only sound output i see is analogue stereo?

Um.. what kind of "Dolby" sound are you expecting?

There are other "Dolby" formats you realise... Go check out a movie made in the 70's and 80's where they use DOLBY STEREO (an analogue format)

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Its all about Monster Hunter tri

I have usually been trying more than 3 games a month on the Wii over the last few years.

It has given me a good understanding of what constitute a good game or not.

It all comes down one game Monster Hunter tri

If you have not bought this game , please do.

It is the right combination of jump on and play to being really hard to master.

If you will not play online ever than maybe it will have limited appeal

It s across between World of warcraft, because of it almost endless combinations of materials to get to just make you armor or sword one better. Sometimes you know 5 seconds before you get hit you will, but there is nothing you can do as you are winding up for a hit

But unlike WOW it is also a third person hack and slash game where skill ultimately plays a part in winning every battle, not your level which is only an indicator of the battles you have won, not how powerful you are

It has some frustrations

The game has purposely built in lag to every sword slash or side step, depending of the size of our weapon (some are twice as big as you) causing me much button mashing waiting for the split second when a move can be performed (my personal gaming weakness built from a young age playing Space invaders)

You also must use the web wikia to find out where to get a certain ingredient, monsters moves, weakness, etc I have spent over 50 hours looking for skills, answers

Also any game that comes with its own controller is a worry, MH3 does need a lot of buttons for menus, item switching and the extra joystick may be a godsend as you need to constantly move the camera but I have used wiimote exclusively perhaps to my detriment

It has a low frame rate that comes with suiting all players online

You also need a USB keyboard for effective online play

The game uses Wiispeak, it was traded from the japanese version which allows for 12 players to join. PS the wiispeak sucks, read next post on that

Other that its all good.

The monster have beautiful detail and realism

The progression required to beat tougher monsters just keeps pace with getting more powerful weapons and armor.

Online you hook up with up to 3 other players and away you go, allowing for noobs to hide whilst the other three do all the work. But aha, certain quests need you to initiate, so very few amass great weapons without the associated monster hunting skills. Yes teh more you play teh more you can tell what monster are about to do

From beating a low level monster that takes you the full 50 minutes, all quest are capped at that, then coming back 100 hundred hours later all juiced up and beating it with 8 well placed hits.

The top monsters can still own you in matter of minutes even when maxed out in your chosen departments (hundreds of possibilities)

There is no better wii game online, mario kart is a distant second and MH3 does not seem to suffer from code cheats

Anyway, I tried this game unaware of how good it could be and highly recommend it when it comes to longevity.

Wiispeak

What is it good for?

Wii speak is kinda like the first phone. Whats the point if you have the only one!

There are probably ten games which use it,

Off hand that would be the Conduit, endless Ocean, Animal Crossing MH3 plus the default ability to send voice messages via the wii to friends, cute but rarely used.

I got this to use with Monster hunter as it was only $15 bucks at Dick Smith but alas almost no one uses it, preferring the anonimity or perhaps more likely universal lanquage of the keyboard. FYI Most people on MH3 seem to be german at the time I play. To use you must register a friend in game, they agree, than the wii speak cuts in. I did quest with one supposedly mature player (who never spoke) but his mum came and told him to go to bed as it was a school night lol.

It may be like that great XMAS concept of giving your BFF a walkie talkie so you can communicate whenever. That never works and the same applies here. Even at $15 (bargain bin in DSE now) sadly it is a waste as your friend needs one and also needs same game. I wanted to try it out on Endless ocean 2, but could not get a friend on, same for MH3, rarely on at same time, etc, etc etc

Once again Nintendo has come up with a good concept, just did not do the Market research to find out if people would actually buy and use it

Oh yeah and the sound sucks, its like talking down a long echoey tube.

• 3 months later...

Anyone tried the wireless Wii sensor bar ? I'd like to move our room around (build in progress) so that all the gear is at the rear of the room and the only thing at the front will be 3 speakers and the screen (maybe the sub but it can be at the back of the room). The gear stand is 800 mm high and between that is a well padded leather couch at 900 mm and probably the Wii players - so will this setup work ?

Anyone tried the wireless Wii sensor bar ? I'd like to move our room around (build in progress) so that all the gear is at the rear of the room and the only thing at the front will be 3 speakers and the screen (maybe the sub but it can be at the back of the room). The gear stand is 800 mm high and between that is a well padded leather couch at 900 mm and probably the Wii players - so will this setup work ?

I'm not sure what you're asking here exactly?

It sounds like you think the sensor bar communicates with the Wii console,it doesn't.

It just has a series of LEDs in it that the controller sees, to detect where you are pointing.You can see these with a digital camera.

It's not really a sensor bar at all,it should be called a light bar if anything.

The only reason it is even connected to the console is to provide the power to illuminate the LEDs.

You can use 2 spaced candles instead of the sensor bar if you wanted to,but this would be a fire hazard and more expensive than batteries.

So in short,the wireless sensor bar will work exactly the same as the wired one with the exception of having to replace batteries.

As long as your AV cables are long enough (Component cables recommended) everything will work fine.

I run about 10 metres of Component cables to my Wii with my projector setup and have no issues at all.

If you are using a very large screen you may have to space the series of LEDS further apart than standard to get accurate tracking.

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure what you're asking here exactly?

It sounds like you think the sensor bar communicates with the Wii console,it doesn't.

It just has a series of LEDs in it that the controller sees, to detect where you are pointing.You can see these with a digital camera.

It's not really a sensor bar at all,it should be called a light bar if anything.

The only reason it is even connected to the console is to provide the power to illuminate the LEDs.

You can use 2 spaced candles instead of the sensor bar if you wanted to,but this would be a fire hazard and more expensive than batteries.

So in short,the wireless sensor bar will work exactly the same as the wired one with the exception of having to replace batteries.

As long as your AV cables are long enough (Component cables recommended) everything will work fine.

I run about 10 metres of Component cables to my Wii with my projector setup and have no issues at all.

If you are using a very large screen you may have to space the series of LEDS further apart than standard to get accurate tracking.

Hope this helps.

Thanks - just want to make sure that we can still use the Wii from about 3.6 - 3.8 m if I have a wireless sensor bar under the screen and the Wii unit/etc behind the couch.

I'm looking at a scope screen of around 115/120" so the resulting 16:9 HDTV screen is around 96" max so that is 2.12 m. Will this be an issue if I use the wireless sensor bar as is/can you get wider ones/would I just get 2 and cover the inner lights :huh: so the outer ones are wider apart ?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The

Wii Remotes that came with your Wii console is synced at the factory. But sometimes you may have the problemthat wii remotes controller not syncing. The article get you four steps to follow.

Whether you have purchased a new Wii remote or you bring your Wii remotes to friends homes to play games on their Wii game system, you will need to sync the remote with the Wii game system before playing. This article will list how to sync Wii remotes to the Wii game system.

Instructions

One:

You will first need to make sure your

Wii remotes batteries works well. Then, turn on your Wii and go to the Wii Menu.

Two:

Open the little white door on the front of the Wii game console (this may require using your fingernail). You will notice a little rectangular red button.

Three:

Open the battery compartment of your Wii controller, which may require removing the rubber jacket. You will notice a little round red button there.

Four:

Press and hold the red button on the Wii game system and the red buttton on the Wii remote at the same time for at least 2 seconds. I usually hold down the remote button, then press the game console button for 2 seconds because it is easier for me. You will notice the 4 little blue lights on the front of the controller blink many times. The lights will eventually stop blinking and one of the four lights will remain on. The light that remains on tells which number Wii remote you have. The one on the left is number 1. The second from the left is number 2, etc.

If your remote for Wii still does not work, the best way is writing to

Wii Customer Service.

More wii remotes wholesale on RemoteForWii.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all

I am new to Wii, just bought one today, and trying to get across everything. I need to buy an additional Wii remote and noticed Game sell one which is there own brand - are these any good?

Also, I noticed that Game sell a Wii Mote with Motion Plus for $20 versus the Wii Remote Plus for $70. Can anyone tell me what teh difference is here as the description seemed very similar.

Thanks

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi all,

I have for sale a 3DS XL Yoshi Edition. $240 and that includes postage.

Includes:

- 3DS XL console.
- Stylus
- Adaptor
- 4 GB memory card.
- AR cards and booklets.

Bought this morning from EB.
Was hoping to be able to link my old NNID to it but unfortunately forgot to unlink my old 3DS.
EB are refusing to refund so here I am.
Only been turned on the once and then formatted.
All items are very well looked after.
Pictures can be sent on request.
Postage will be standard satchel. If you want it express or registered you will have to cover the extra cost.
Would prefer to post but pickup from Banora Point can be arranged.
Paypal accepted.
I have it listed on ebay but would prefer to sell it on a site where I dont have to fork out $30 in fees.
If your interested just send me a PM.
Thanks!
Edited by Georgie81