Pioneer Kuro Lx Series - Who's Seen Them And What Do You Think?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on guys, time to share those of you who've seen the LX series which are now hitting the stores here in Melb at least.

My impressions after a VERY quick look were that it seemed less sharp, more "milky" than the XDA's. A little surprised but I need to go back and play with it properly.

Surely not less sharp and milky.... :unsure:

Anyone else got comments on the LX? Would love to hear some info on them?

Been ringing around on the Gold Coast and none here yet, my best response from Myer was that the LX50 & LX60 were both $12k :wacko: , prices were the same as the 60" isn't 1080P.

Well that's because they've obviously idiots

(EDIT - OK, maybe not idiots, that was a little harsh)

Edited by MeMota

I saw the LX508 and LX608 at Klapp Melbourne.

Picture looked great, but not stunning Maybe my expectations were too high, after reading all these 5-star reviews.

Blacks on the LX were definitely darker in a natural way than any other panels on displayed.

FTA looked better (e.g. sharper, with less artifacts) on the 508XDA than the LXes.

Edited by natimuk

Remember that Gamma on the Kuro’s is not correct and that accentuates the shadows and giving a high contrast look, making the blacks look more impressive and colour more vibrant. However it’s not accurate and will tend to crush shadow detail and display colour and tone incorrectely.

A Gamma setting of about 3 is required to give an accurate picture, but this will inevitably look rather flat and washed out in comparison to the standard setting of 0.

It depends if you like an accurate calibrated image or not, many people probably wont.

Remember that Gamma on the Kuro’s is not correct and that accentuates the shadows and giving a high contrast look, making the blacks look more impressive and colour more vibrant. However it’s not accurate and will tend to crush shadow detail and display colour and tone incorrectely.

A Gamma setting of about 3 is required to give an accurate picture, but this will inevitably look rather flat and washed out in comparison to the standard setting of 0.

It depends if you like an accurate calibrated image or not, many people probably wont.

Actually this is incorrect information, the gammas on the xda is not perfect initially but it can be tweaked to pretty close. My understanding the LX is quite close out of the box.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LX508 is on display at HN Adelaide Main North Road..... near grand junction road.

Looked great, pixel size definately worth the extra dollars.

Everyone go and have a look.

I've just come back from HN and it's not the LX, it's the older 5000EX.

Still looks great, but the LX is supposed to loads better!!!

The XDA next to it looked too "Dynamic" for me, in a typically overcooked shop kinda way.

They also had the 428 next to a Sony LCD (similar size), and the Sony was no where near in panning sequences. It just fell apart by comparison.

Bob

The LX508 looked like a joke compared to the LX608. Great screen still although the size difference is a real feature. Didn't bother looking at the XDA series. Not sure if they're on show.

Did they have a LX508? If so, did you compare the LX with XDA?

The LX508 looked like a joke compared to the LX608. Great screen still although the size difference is a real feature. Didn't bother looking at the XDA series. Not sure if they're on show.

They DO have the XDA on show as well - diagonally opposite on the wall.

I went again today and still was underwhelmed. I used the settings from the English forums from a guy who had his calibrated. Day scenes looked like dusk, just seemed... flat whatever we did to it.

Really would like other's opinions.

Prob LX for me anyway as I may be sitting close and don't want to see the "screen door" effect on the XDA

Hey Owen, I'm trying to figure out if the 508XDA is ok for a viewing dsitance of ~2.7m

I also have some other concerns.

I went and looked at an XDA today, I noticed pixel crawl on SD (not sure what to call it). I don't get this with my DLP rearpro 576 display. I used my toppy 5000 to compare recordings on my tv compared to the 508XDA. I also noticed it with movie credits jumping around as they scrolled up. My display doesn't do that. I set it to drive mode 2 and played with all the other settings. It wasn't judder. It was more like it was trying to create extra pixels to fill the gap from 576 to 768, making it look like the image was crawling. It was noticable with vertically scrolling text, and yes I played with the Text option under one of the menus.

Any ideas, is it a limitation with plasmas? I assume a projection tv would be less vunerable to this effect due to the non existant pixels.

Well, I have looked at the gamma (and other) settings on my 508XDA. Gamma 3 provides a bit more low level detail but I'm not sure yet that its more "correct" than gamma 2 (which is my current setting).

I haven't had the screen ISF calibrated yet, although I had my previous 50MXE1 calibrated so I am familiar with the impacts of such changes. At this stage I have adjusted the screen as per DVE. Right now I am pretty happy with gamma 2.

Hey Lads,

Anyone spotted the 50" LX Series in Sydney at all. Preferably on the North Shore? I really wanna check one of these out as i am deciding between this and the Panasonic 50" 1080p screen. Anyone idea of the price of the 50" LX ?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Have you rung Len Wallis Audio (Lane Cove 02 9427 6755) - they usually stock several top end plasmas. Havent been for quite a while, so dont know whats on display. Previously have used their store for comparison as they are usually well set up and they are happy for you to bring in discs to audition. They previously stocked Fujitsu / Pioneer / NEC / Hitachi (Their web site suggests that they are selling the LX it but that it is due in 'end of Oct - so worth a call) (Link)

J.

Hey Owen, I'm trying to figure out if the 508XDA is ok for a viewing dsitance of ~2.7m

I would expect it should be, but I’m afraid you will have to make your own assessment.

I also have some other concerns.

I went and looked at an XDA today, I noticed pixel crawl on SD (not sure what to call it). I don't get this with my DLP rearpro 576 display. I used my toppy 5000 to compare recordings on my tv compared to the 508XDA. I also noticed it with movie credits jumping around as they scrolled up. My display doesn't do that. I set it to drive mode 2 and played with all the other settings. It wasn't judder. It was more like it was trying to create extra pixels to fill the gap from 576 to 768, making it look like the image was crawling. It was noticable with vertically scrolling text, and yes I played with the Text option under one of the menus.

Any ideas, is it a limitation with plasmas? I assume a projection tv would be less vunerable to this effect due to the non existant pixels.

It isn’t a limitation of Plasma, but this “drive” thing with Kuro’s has me perplexed.

It’s not normal for the user to have any control over display refresh rate, if that’s what “drive” controls, as the display should always lock onto the incoming frame rate and display it perfectly. 50Hz free to air or PAL DVD should definitely never course any issues. It seems more likely it is a deinterlacing issue, but again this should be an automatic function.

Pixel or dot crawl is normally related to poor handling of Composite input.

The two Kuro’s I have seen where both fed DVD from the same Pioneer DVD player via Composite, and the picture quality was dreadful. The only good thing about the picture was the blacks, which where the best I have seen on a flat panel by far.

I did not put much credence on that poor performance, and prefer to consider it an anomaly, time will tell. Maybe all is not rosy in Kuro land.

Well, I have looked at the gamma (and other) settings on my 508XDA. Gamma 3 provides a bit more low level detail but I'm not sure yet that its more "correct" than gamma 2 (which is my current setting).

I haven't had the screen ISF calibrated yet, although I had my previous 50MXE1 calibrated so I am familiar with the impacts of such changes. At this stage I have adjusted the screen as per DVE. Right now I am pretty happy with gamma 2.

I did say "about 3", and without doing a some measurement on a Kuro my self I could not say if 2 or 3 is most accurate.

One thing is certain, 0 is not right.

Gamma is a complex issue, and an ISF calibration may not address it. Not all displays have adjustable Gamma or the adjustment may be inadequate.

Pixel or dot crawl is normally related to poor handling of Composite input.

Could this also apply to SD material via component and hdmi as well? Would the LX508 be better in this respect?

I don't get this with my dlp rearpro

Edited by chrisb03

Sounds like the edge enhancement and ringing of the XDA (small enough as it may be on this unit) is impressing in the stores. And probably as it should be the law of diminishing returns is kicking in on the LX, which is only for the absolute perfectionists in image accuracy (which can be sorta boring compared to the way they come out of the box).

I did say "about 3", and without doing a some measurement on a Kuro my self I could not say if 2 or 3 is most accurate.

One thing is certain, 0 is not right.

Gamma is a complex issue, and an ISF calibration may not address it. Not all displays have adjustable Gamma or the adjustment may be inadequate.

Agreed. At least the Pio sets have good adjustment capability.

There is actually no 0 selection for gamma, just 1, 2 and 3 (to the extent that 1, 2 and 3 actually mean anything).