Getting Dd And Dts Working

Some time ago, my subwoofer died. I told my wife I wanted to replace it and she said "You can replace all the speakers". Now some would see this as a fantastic opportunity. Wrong! When she said replace the speakers, she meant with little ones because the ones there now are too big.

So we go looking for a set of small speakers and end up picking up these JBL ones for a bargain price. Not exactly those ones, but they look the same. I spend most of Sunday mounting the speakers on the wall and running new speaker cable. Now of course I'm in trouble because removing the old speakers has left big gaps (can't have that). But that's not really the point of this post.

I have been unable to listen to movies etc in true DD or DTS through my Pioneer VSX-D811S AVR so I decide to do some experimenting while everything was in pieces. My new PS3 is connected to my LG LCD via HDMI. The TV is connected to the AVR via optical. After reading an obscure section of the Pioneer manual for the 10th time, I realise that the amp will only decode DD and DTS when the input is DVD/LD. I swap the optical inputs and update my Harmony remote accordingly. I then play a DVD on the PS3 and it only shows up as Prologic.

I swap the cable back and test playing the DVD through the DVD player and sure enough, its DD.

The question is, where is it falling down? Is the PS3 not outputting DD or DTS to the TV via HDMI or is the TV not passing DD/DTS out to the amp via the optical?

Should I re-adjust everything so I send audio out of the PS3 to the Pioneer using an optical cable plugged in to the DVD/LD port on the Pioneer and send the video only to the TV via HDMI?

As a side note, the JBL speakers actually sound better than the DTX brand speakers I had there. I left the two Wharfedale rears in place and added one of the spare JBL's as a surround back speaker for 6.1. The JBL's were $841 at DSE but I got them for $740 from Clive Anthony's.

• Volunteer
That would be the first thing I would try.

I have to agree, my Pana 42" plasma will send dd etc from the inbuilt tuner to the avr via optical but not send it out to the avr from anything plugged into the plasma.

Cheers,

Karen

I guess my starting point is to rip the optical cable from the TV, plug it into the PS3, re-configure it to output audio via optical and test it.

If it works, then I'll have to go through the painful process of re-arranging everything and updating the remote. That's something to look forward to...not. :wacko:

I guess my starting point is to rip the optical cable from the TV, plug it into the PS3, re-configure it to output audio via optical and test it.

If it works, then I'll have to go through the painful process of re-arranging everything and updating the remote. That's something to look forward to...not. :wacko:

It worked. I think it was the first time I've actually seen the words DOLBY DIGITAL scroll across the screen of the Pioneer. Before heading to bed last night, a movie started on the new 7 HD channel so I switched the amp back to Standard and sure enough, Dolby Digital. Kazz was right. The HDMI input doesn't pass DD out through the optical to the AVR but does output DD from the HD tuner.

Now for the painful process of re-configuring everything. What fun that will be. Wish me luck folks.

Some time ago, my subwoofer died. I told my wife I wanted to replace it and she said "You can replace all the speakers". Now some would see this as a fantastic opportunity. Wrong! When she said replace the speakers, she meant with little ones because the ones there now are too big.

I was about to comment on the luck you have on the wife-front until reading the second line! What is it with some women (including mine to a lesser extent). :mellow:

I was about to comment on the luck you have on the wife-front until reading the second line! What is it with some women (including mine to a lesser extent). :mellow:

Yes, well. I mounted the JBL's up high on the wall either side of a window and now they're (apparently) a bit 'in your face'. When I got home yesterday, the wall had been rearranged and all available gaps filled with side tables etc. The PS3 had been laid flat on the bottom shelf which is OK because the remote is bluetooth. The subwoofer had been moved to the other side and lifted off the floor onto a small side table. Not sure how effective that will be.

What annoys me the most is that my HT gear occupies very little space while her collection of over 100 collectible bears, countless novels (including the entire set of Danielle Steele novels), hundreds of craft magazines and two entire bedrooms full of sewing machines, craft stuff etc. isn't even a consideration.

Worse still, there was an Ikea catalogue and paper on the coffee table. This is gonna get expensive. All I wanted was a new sub. :blink:

Yes, well. I mounted the JBL's up high on the wall either side of a window and now they're (apparently) a bit 'in your face'. When I got home yesterday, the wall had been rearranged and all available gaps filled with side tables etc. The PS3 had been laid flat on the bottom shelf which is OK because the remote is bluetooth. The subwoofer had been moved to the other side and lifted off the floor onto a small side table. Not sure how effective that will be.

What annoys me the most is that my HT gear occupies very little space while her collection of over 100 collectible bears, countless novels (including the entire set of Danielle Steele novels), hundreds of craft magazines and two entire bedrooms full of sewing machines, craft stuff etc. isn't even a consideration.

Worse still, there was an Ikea catalogue and paper on the coffee table. This is gonna get expensive. All I wanted was a new sub. :blink:

Time to take your Cohones from the jar on the mantle piece and claw back your share of the house matey -_-

Cheers,

Curious

You gotta get some hand dude !

• Volunteer
Time to take your Cohones from the jar on the mantle piece and claw back your share of the house matey -_-

Cheers,

Curious

Couldn't agree more and I'm a girl.

The sub is not gonna sound good on the table :wacko:

Cheers,

Karen

Cheers,

Curious

That jar got buried behind her stuff 28 years ago. Wouldn't even know where to start looking for it. Still, I no complain. It's all about negotiation and I'm an expert negotiator.