Xbox 360 3 Red Lights Of Death

The only other option guys is finding somebody who will repair it for you locally, or even trying it yourself.

I personally took my 360 to a local console modding guy and he charged me $80 to repair it with a guarantee that it wouldn't break again, and if it did he would repair it for free.

Here is the link to his site - http://www.micksxboxmods.com/xbox%20360.htm

(Mods if this is inappropriate please let me know)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you really disappointed that such an expensive product is so shite?

Are you really so sad that you have to have a stab and rub salt into the wounds of people who's consoles have died ?

Yes it pisses me off that it happened, but then at least Microsoft owned up to the problem, increased the warranty to 3 years, and are very responsive in fixing the problems.

And I still don't regret buying the 360, best $650 I've ever spent console gaming wise ... it still gets a good 5-10 hours of use a week compared to the PS3 that only ever gets fired up to watch a BD movie.

Sent mine off on tuesday but haven't received a notification that it has been received (like i did the first time i had to send it away)

I'm assuming they are closed over christmas :-(

I didnt recive a notification for my second return. Was gettin a bit concerned, and then the courier rocked up at the door and i had my baby safely returned.

Are you really so sad that you have to have a stab and rub salt into the wounds of people who's consoles have died ?

Yes it pisses me off that it happened, but then at least Microsoft owned up to the problem, increased the warranty to 3 years, and are very responsive in fixing the problems.

And I still don't regret buying the 360, best $650 I've ever spent console gaming wise ... it still gets a good 5-10 hours of use a week compared to the PS3 that only ever gets fired up to watch a BD movie.

Not a personal stab Andrew - just the whole interface, menu, paid online system it all stinks. The quality issue IS the salt in the wound and I just wanted to guage your reaction rather than making a low blow.

I still think on that basis its a shite console. Games are pretty cool though.

just the whole interface, menu, paid online system it all stinks.

Not sure what you are getting at ?

The 360 interface is the best I've seen on any console. Period.

And the paid online is well worth it.

Especially when you consider that Target sell the 12 month live kits for $50 each year in their June sales.

The quality issue IS the salt in the wound and I just wanted to guage your reaction rather than making a low blow.

I still think on that basis its a shite console. Games are pretty cool though.

Why does it make it a shite console though ?

Sure there are issues with the first release consoles, but they took responsibility for the issues, have extended the warranty to 3 years, and are very quick to fix and return any busted consoles.

By all accounts the new versions of the 360 do not suffer from the RRoD.

Considering the "games are really cool" I do wonder once again how you can sum the entire console up as "shite" ?

And they must be doing something right, monthly sales of the 360 are still exceeding monthly sales of the PS3, even though it's been out for a year longer.

Not sure what you are getting at ?

The 360 interface is the best I've seen on any console. Period.

And the paid online is well worth it.

Especially when you consider that Target sell the 12 month live kits for $50 each year in their June sales.

Why does it make it a shite console though ?

Sure there are issues with the first release consoles, but they took responsibility for the issues, have extended the warranty to 3 years, and are very quick to fix and return any busted consoles.

By all accounts the new versions of the 360 do not suffer from the RRoD.

Considering the "games are really cool" I do wonder once again how you can sum the entire console up as "shite" ?

And they must be doing something right, monthly sales of the 360 are still exceeding monthly sales of the PS3, even though it's been out for a year longer.

Just because Peter walks off the cliff, does that make it right? :)

I don't think they send emails anymore - your best bet is to call the 1800 number if you want to check the status of your repair.

It's been 4 weeks now and I'm still waiting for mine! Hopefully I'll be getting a new console for my trouble. But there's only so much Wii Sports one can play in the meantime, here's hoping the fat red man turns up with Super Mario Galaxy.

Edited by 2by4

I don't think they send emails anymore - your best bet is to call the 1800 number if you want to check the status of your repair.

It's been 4 weeks now and I'm still waiting for mine! Hopefully I'll be getting a new console for my trouble. But there's only so much Wii Sports one can play in the meantime, here's hoping the fat red man turns up with Super Mario Galaxy.

Wow, four weeks? I'd wanna hope the post office didn't 'misplace' the package.

Hope that doesn't happen to me, I forgot to put a return to sender address on it :(

• Volunteer
has the warranty really increased to 3 years standard ? i bought my xbox 360 a month ago and i think the manual said 1 year warranty ,,,?

Three years warranty for the red ring of death hardware failure, everything else is 1 year.

well my console has died recently and it hasn't shown the red ligts of death.

It first started in the middle of a game of Mass Effect, when all of a sudden the screen went completely black. Audio still came through and you could control the game but no picture.

I then restarted my console, and ever since it has now lost picture signal completely, only showing flickering lines that pan the screen horizontally. It's not the tv or cables, as i've tried various ones. The sound still comes through and you can control the dashboard, however picture has gone ka-put.

M$ told me it'll be $132 to fix, since it's about a week outside its warranty period. Trying to prompt these damn red lights to come up, but no luck. :angry2:

Advice anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

I have an original release 360 as well, and it is now beginning to show signs of failure I thnk. It intermittently (read infrequently) shows the dreaded red lights. But I always manage to get it started (when it does happen) by turning it on off a few times (approx 3). I haven't read all this this thread, but are these symptoms consistent with a unit eventually failing?

Edited by Vatoe

well my console has died recently and it hasn't shown the red ligts of death.

It first started in the middle of a game of Mass Effect, when all of a sudden the screen went completely black. Audio still came through and you could control the game but no picture.

I then restarted my console, and ever since it has now lost picture signal completely, only showing flickering lines that pan the screen horizontally. It's not the tv or cables, as i've tried various ones. The sound still comes through and you can control the dashboard, however picture has gone ka-put.

M$ told me it'll be $132 to fix, since it's about a week outside its warranty period. Trying to prompt these damn red lights to come up, but no luck. :angry2:

Advice anyone?

You can try to play hardball with them. Under Australian law they are required to repair or replace the console. It's called the implied warranty. Also don't bother dealing with the call center. Call Microsoft Admin Australia on 132058 , then press number 2 (Management). Talk to them, but know your rights first. It is also worth speaking to the ACCC before you do this. It may also be easier to deal with the retailer as well.

But know your rights first This thread should have all you need: Noooooooooooooooooo!!

Just thought I'd quickly share my recent experience with the RRoD. My brother decided to buy the elite a few months ago and gave me his launch model 360, before he gave it he opened it up quite naively to clean all the dust out of it; hoping that all the dust was what was making it so loud. Christmas eve I fired it up to try and finish COD4 on Veteran and there it was; the dreaded RRoD. I packed it up and posted the same day, however as I was packing I'd noticed that the microsoft warranty sticker was obviously removed!!!! Not knowing really what to do I decided to send it anyway along with a letter stating why it was missing the sticker in the hope that they would fix it under warranty anyway.

2 weeks had gone past (over the holiday period) and l hadn't heard anything, however on the 7th Jan it arrived all fixed with a new microsoft warranty sticker!!! I have to say that I was ecstatic with the service I recieved, with the 1 month gold membership card only made me happier. Obviously I lost time over the christmas period that I couldn't play COD4 but ended up buying Drake and Assassins Creed for PS3 to tie me over untill back to work this week, but overall I am very happy to have it back!! Fingers crossed I don't have to go through it again.

On a side note since I got it back it doesn't recognise my Ipod anymore, I deleted and re-installed the optional media pack, but it simply is not shown in my music folders. Has anyone else had any problems lately with the Ipod and Xbox? (all have been updated within the last week!)

Just my experience:

I have a pre-2007 console, and from day one I have had it sitting up on a couple of old VHS cases placed in the middle of the unit (ie. the side are clear, and the load of weight is in the middle of the unit, not the edges at the feet like it is built for). I have also had the power brick sitting clear as well on the same shelf. Heaps of ventilation etc. and the only time I have had trouble has been a F73 error on very rare occasion (perhaps 5 times since I have had it?). The console has never crashed during gameplay.

The unit of course, is noisy as hell with drive fan noise etc.

Cheers

Steve

OK, i bought the HD dvd drive and now my xbox freezes every time I watch anything via the HD drive but eventually it will get working, but the worst thing is that most of my games will freeze now, whereas before they worked perfectly. Also its happend about 3 times so far, when turning on the xbox I get the RROD and then I need to remove the power and it comes back.

Should I call microsoft and get them to repair or wait for it to die? Its out of the 1 year warranty by 1 month.

Cheers

Called microsoft regarding my freezing problem and they wanted me to pay 130 for a service one month out of warranty. :angry2:

They said it wasn't a hardware failure and that the only way to fix it was to give it a service. So after reading many forums on this I'm going to run it hard and then wait for the eventual death.

Not happy, for the amount they want I could put in a extra 270 and get the arcade pack, extra controler, HDMI and new warranty, still be 400 out of pocket.

Edited by IndyJnr