Paramount = Hd-dvd Exclusive

I can see a good 60 titles I would be happy to own. If Paramount has such a 'weak' list of properties, why is everyone getting so upset about their decision to ditch Blu-ray? Clearly no-one is losing out and everyone should be happy!

These reactions remind me of the classic stages of grief:

1. Anger: Damn you Paramount for prolonging this war! It's a conspiracy! I will never buy HD DVD!

2. Denial: It doesn't matter! They don't have anything I want! Their films are rubbish!

3. Bargaining: What's Paramount's email address? Maybe we can persuade them to change their minds! 2:1! 2:1!!!

4. Depression: I was so sure Blu-ray had it in the bag. Weren't Universal going to switch in 2008?

5. Acceptance: Oh well, I guess I'll have to get an HD DVD player if I want to see Transformers/Shrek 3/Top Gun/Blades of Glory in HD.

I've been thinking that about HD-DVD supporters for a while now. I think this Paramount announcement is HD-DVD entering stage 3. :P

Edit: Been trying to post here all day but my damn connection keeps dropping in and out. Typical, the biggest news of the year and I've got to deal with an internet connection less reliable than an HD-DVD combo! :P

(well, c'mon, you've gotta let me have some fun, it's been a bad day for team Blu!) B)

Edited by The_Preacher1973

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did say they have some good titles Andrew. I've just been reading around the net over various forums including transformers fans. Man the hatred towards Paramount and HD-DVD has hit critical point. I'm loving it. Paying them off is seriously the dumbest thing Toshy could have done. The hatred is unbelievable, I never thought I'd see the day.

If you listen carefully, you can hear the violins playing.

ajm,

I got into HD movies because of the PS3. I bought it as a convergence appliance - media centre, games machine (compatable with my PS2 titles) and an upscaling DVD player plus the ability to play straight HD content via Blu ray.

In practical terms, what it means to me is that I will continue to buy the Blu Ray titles that I would have bought on DVD. Those titles that are HD-DVD only I will make do with upscaled DVD. Its a purely cost driven solution which I think will apply to many PS3 owners.

So the Paramount decision will possibly not increase HD-DVD player and disk take up.I have no axe to grind about either format. I ended up with Blu Ray for the reasons above, but wont be buying an HD-DVD player 'cos I have no need.

No offense, but I don't think they give a rats about PS3 owners. They are after the larger audience that is looking for a regular old player to stick under the TV. The kind of audience $199 HD-A2's are aimed at. PS3 owners are a drop in the ocean to what their goals are.

Have a look around the net and look at the amount of negative reaction this is getting. If it were the other way around there'd be a celebration over the death of hd-dvd. There is now suddenly hatred towards the format formerly known as the good guys. Toshiba were better off trying to play the victim, instead they have pushed average joe further away from their product. Personally Paramount don't bother me, I'll purchase the five movies from their catalogue that I actually want to own on standard dvd. No need for the regular HD-DVD fanbois to get upset, it's only a forum member's comments. Peace.

So first we get the blu-boys claiming they don't care about Universal, Universal has no titles, etc etc. And now the same claim about Paramount. Predictable as always.

:rolleyes:

Seems Skid is a little upset by all this.

I did say they have some good titles Andrew. I've just been reading around the net over various forums including transformers fans. Man the hatred towards Paramount and HD-DVD has hit critical point. I'm loving it. Paying them off is seriously the dumbest thing Toshy could have done. The hatred is unbelievable, I never thought I'd see the day.

Actually it's just the sound of fanbois realising they haven't won and potentially could lose. Don't forget Sony started this war.

I do think they could apply these ' monetary incentives' a little further for the HD DVD exclusive consumer, where when he first plugs in his machine and boots it up the disc drawer opens up ( with the sound of a cash register ring) and out falls a couple of hundred bucks $ of happiness......:P

C.M

If you listen carefully, you can hear the violins playing.

It's hard to hear over the sound of sobbing console owners who were convinced that they wouldn't have to buy another machine.

They don't care about the formats as such they just want their purchase to be the one with the brightest future.

At least they can point the blame at more than just Universal now.

So first we get the blu-boys claiming they don't care about Universal, Universal has no titles, etc etc. And now the same claim about Paramount. Predictable as always.

Making all the reasonable and rational pronouncements we've come to expect from this bunch of heads with their chooks cut off.

Guest Danny Boy
No offense, but I don't think they give a rats about PS3 owners. They are after the larger audience that is looking for a regular old player to stick under the TV. The kind of audience $199 HD-A2's are aimed at. PS3 owners are a drop in the ocean to what their goals are.

Seems Skid is a little upset by all this.

I'm with Stu W, I bought a PS3 for the same reasons. No title on either Universal's or Paramount's list is going to make me buy a HD-DVD player. Upscaled dvd courtesy of the PS3 will do fine.

I'm with Stu W, I bought a PS3 for the same reasons. No title on either Universal's or Paramount's list is going to make me buy a HD-DVD player. Upscaled dvd courtesy of the PS3 will do fine.

And like I said, I don't think they give a rats left testicle what you think or if they made you cry today.

What's next, Warner has nothing you want? Followed by Disney has nothing you want, followed by Fox has nothing you want? I don't think even your mother would believe you on this one.

It looks as if the Paramount/Dreamworks Exclusivity will be short lived... its only a 18 Month Commitment.

News just in:

The NY Times has confirmed via two Viacom executives, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, that Paramount has received a $150M pay-off to support HD DVD exclusively for a period of 18 months. The $150M is comprised of cash and future marketing deals. Also re-confirmed is that the deal includes no films directed by Steven Spielberg.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=416

It looks as if the Paramount/Dreamworks Exclusivity will be short lived... its only a 18 Month Commitment.

News just in:

The NY Times has confirmed via two Viacom executives, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, that Paramount has received a $150M pay-off to support HD DVD exclusively for a period of 18 months. The $150M is comprised of cash and future marketing deals. Also re-confirmed is that the deal includes no films directed by Steven Spielberg.

Even if this is true, 18 months is a long time in this game. Blu-ray has only been ahead for about 7 months so this timeframe is enough for a complete reversal.

News just in:

Well they probably figure the Blu-ray format should be defunct by then.

C.M

I dont want to support 2 formats. I wanted to support 1 format which I thought was going to be the clear winner. Which was Bluray.

and with the 18 Month only commitment... I still feel safe in saying Bluray will ultimately come out on top. This deal is just desperation by the HD DVD Camp to keep things afloat long enough so they can get their cheaper players out on the market in a final hope their format will take off.

Even if this is true, 18 months is a long time in this game. Blu-ray has only been ahead for about 7 months so this timeframe is enough for a complete reversal.

18 months with cheap hd-players on the way, yes that could be enough time for hd-dvd to do it's job.I could not wait 18 months for some of those movies.I usually bite the bullet and go for it and I can tell there are many that are the same.

18 months with cheap hd-players on the way, yes that could be enough time for hd-dvd to do it's job.I could not wait 18 months for some of those movies.I usually bite the bullet and go for it and I can tell there are many that are the same.

nor is there any guarantee that at the end of this mythical unconfirmed rumored 18 months Paramount would release on Blu-ray anyway.

I dont want to support 2 formats. I wanted to support 1 format which I thought was going to be the clear winner. Which was Bluray.

and with the 18 Month only commitment... I still feel safe in saying Bluray will ultimately come out on top. This deal is just desperation by the HD DVD Camp to keep things afloat long enough so they can get their cheaper players out on the market in a final hope their format will take off.

have you ever considered to give hd-dvd a go?

I personally don't see Blu-ray being a future format as it is only propped up by the PS3 which is costing Sony Billions $ in subsidies.

Sooner or later Sony is going to buckle under the loses it is carrying just to stay in the format war.

C.M

Guest Danny Boy

Well said sharka. Post of the day. HD-DVD stands for Highly Desperate - DVD. Thats the best I could come up with, anyone got a better one for the titanic bound format. Now I can hear the violins.

Well said sharka. Post of the day. HD-DVD stands for Highly Desperate - DVD. Thats the best I could come up with, anyone got a better one for the titanic bound format. Now I can hear the violins.

Just accept the fact your favoured format received a major blow today. Me, I'm gonna enjoy Transformers and all Paramount's other goodies as well as everything Universal, Fox, Disney and Sony has.

If the BDA and you fanboi's can't take a bloody nose, don't start a fight with the big boys.

and the great thing is, no matter how cheap HD DVD can go, their sales simply arnt proving to be worth while. HD DVD has cheaper players avalable right now. Do you see that affecting the sales on Bluray... umm... no...

*cough* 2:1 sales advantage on 300 *cough*

and it isnt just 300, its been a constant trend over and over and over agian. HD DVD need to crawl back into that **** heap they came from. They are this never ending thorn in Blurays side and they are the ones ****ing this format war up big time.

The end was near, we could see the light at the end of the tunnel. But no! HD DVD had to get up off the groud agian and screw it up for consumers!

Why the hell should I support a format which it seems is only here to drag this format war on and on. They dont have the support, the sales or the consumer base. Just give up and piss off! they are clearly not wanted by anyone but Toshiba (who seem to be the only company making dedicated players for their god forsaken format).

Im just going to buy Transformers on DVD and watch it upscaled on my PS3 until this 18 month rubbish is over. I will find it very humerious that even after 18months of exclusivity with Paramount they are still not selling. and I wouldnt be surprised. The bluray camp isnt just going to sit by and do nothing, I hope they swipe them so bloody hard and make sure they never ever come back up agian.

HD DVD, just piss off, the consumers clearly dont want you around, the writing was on the wall, yet you had to get up agian and ruine it for everyone. The only reason this format war has been extended yet agian is because of HD DVD. They can forget my support.

Guest Danny Boy
Just accept the fact your favoured format received a major blow today. Me, I'm gonna enjoy Transformers and all Paramount's other goodies as well as everything Universal, Fox, Disney and Sony has.

If the BDA and you fanboi's can't take a bloody nose, don't start a fight with the big boys.

Sigh...soon enters the care bear bunch to back their fearless leader.

Both formats will survive there is too much hardware for both sides for a clear winner to emerge, transformers was this years biggest movie and when it is released on HD DVD it will spike sales. I have said it before all this deal has done is made dual format players even more appealing. I would think you would see even more companies announcing their intentions to build them.