Best Price For Samsung 40 Inch La40m81bd

Hi Guys,

I just thought I would bump this thread as I'm finally taking the plunge and trying to find a Samsung LA40M81BDX on the weekend.

What are the best prices people have been able to find recently?? Any prices in Perth would also be handy.

I tend to use my current TV for my Playstation 3 and tend to watch a fair bit of sport, so I'm looking forward to see what the 1080p capability on the m81 is like?

Thanks in Advance

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mikeoz

Hi All,

I am interested in the LA40M81bdx as this seems to be a low entry point into the 1080p family.

What is the main difference between this model and La40N81bdx model as

found a review http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/lcd/0,239035307,339284359,00.htm

which noted that some aspects were not the best.

also considering at the cheaper price point a panasonic px70a vs the la40r81bdx which one would be better value

main uses are FTA and watching DVD's.

G'day mate,

The price difference between the N8 and M8 (40") is now down to only $150. I'd pay they extra $150 because the M8 is better in PQ. I'm saying that despite the fact that I have a 46" N8. I got a super deal on that one so it wasn't worth upgrading but at today's prices, the M8 is a better choice.

The N8 is a very competent screen by itself and represents the most comfortable way of entering the Full HD market. The N8 is worth paying only $200 extra over the R8 for the better resolution.

If you want a plasma, you can get the Panny but I'd recommend LCD any day, for lower power consumption, better warranty (3 yrs instead of 1 yr) and a sharper picture IMO.

Picked one up today for $1850, with cashback, it'll be $1700. Found an old JBHiFi catalogue from Christmas and they were advertised at $2999 or something, that was heartening.

Played about 5 shops off against each other, they all seemed really tight with the price, and all trying to sell me the N8 because they are clearing them or something. The N8 is 2cm too large either side for my space, but the M8 is perfect (the N8 is slightly longer like the F8).

In my haste to get home however, I forgot to ask how to claim the cashback offer. What is the exact procedure, if anyone knows?

This is truly a sexy beast. I might even watch Sexy Beast to celebrate the fact...

Hmmm... all the cheaper prices seem to be away from the city centres...

Here's the deal - get the cheapest price from some store then go to Myer to beat it. They're really good at this business.

I do recall seeing a price of $1750 or thereabouts for the 40" M8 but I just can't place the thread.

You're probably thinking this one for $1,650, but the poster has only ever made the one and only post. There was another here for $1,850.

The only feasible Myer I could try is in Sydney City, but I think for the purposes of this display, I'm going to go with the Bravia W instead.

As nice as the Samsung M81 is, and you certainly couldn't beat the value for a brand name panel, the quality is just a tad worse than the Sony. Also, it would be a pain to keep cleaning the piano black frame. There's certainly a lot to like, and I will definitely look again when my friend decides on one himself.

The only feasible Myer I could try is in Sydney City, but I think for the purposes of this display, I'm going to go with the Bravia W instead.

As nice as the Samsung M81 is, and you certainly couldn't beat the value for a brand name panel, the quality is just a tad worse than the Sony. Also, it would be a pain to keep cleaning the piano black frame. There's certainly a lot to like, and I will definitely look again when my friend decides on one himself.

You could still try Myer Sydney CBD for the Sony W. Talk to a salesman named Hamid. He's on duty on weekends and is quite straightforward to deal with.

I haven't had an issues cleaning my piano black N8 so it doesn't bother me. Lots of things put me off the Sony -

1) It only has a 1-year warranty

2) It uses a Samsung panel

3) I wasn't going to be in time for the free PS3 but still had time for the free 19" LCD

4) I got a 46" Samsung N8 for $50 less than the lowest price achieved for a 40" Sony W (impossible to argue with that)

5) I don't like the picture frame design of the W (with those ugly joints visible on the sides)

6) The PQ of the Samsungs is a bit sharper than the Sony. Some consider it artificial but I like the sharpness and can tone it down if I need to

The final decision is up to you. The Sony is a good choice. Just remember to extend the warranty from 1 year to at least 3 years, preferably 5.

I ended up with a Sony today. I think the price (for this weekend anyway!) is pretty good: $2,300 with 5 year total warranty before $150 cash back. It's not worth my while to go into town as it's a hassle to find parking and it wouldn't be fair to add back delivery. At the end of the day, just $20 difference wouldn't be worth the trouble.

You could still try Myer Sydney CBD for the Sony W. Talk to a salesman named Hamid. He's on duty on weekends and is quite straightforward to deal with.

I haven't had an issues cleaning my piano black N8 so it doesn't bother me. Lots of things put me off the Sony -

1) It only has a 1-year warranty

Yup, pretty pathetic nowadays.

2) It uses a Samsung panel

I thought it was a joint venture called S-LCD.

3) I wasn't going to be in time for the free PS3 but still had time for the free 19" LCD

4) I got a 46" Samsung N8 for $50 less than the lowest price achieved for a 40" Sony W (impossible to argue with that)

Huh? :blink: Just a 19-inch and not 26-inch?

The panel purchased is for work, and I won't be able to fit the 46-inch. OTOH, using it with a computer, 46 inches would be great for small gatherings.

5) I don't like the picture frame design of the W (with those ugly joints visible on the sides)

I didn't like the clear perspex frame around the X and XBR...

6) The PQ of the Samsungs is a bit sharper than the Sony. Some consider it artificial but I like the sharpness and can tone it down if I need to

The final decision is up to you. The Sony is a good choice. Just remember to extend the warranty from 1 year to at least 3 years, preferably 5.

That's interesting. I have to say I preferred the Sony, but then retailers are not the best places to check. For the money, I wouldn't mind saving a few hundred bucks and go for the M81 for home use.

BTW, how are the speakers on the Samsung? I was very surprised how good the speakers are on the W.

Lots of things to say -

Sony and Samsung's joint venture (S-LCD) means that the panel is the same, especially between the N8 and W3100. Both are made in Malaysia.

I'll be getting a 19" because the only 46" with the 26" freebie was the F8. Still waiting for delivery of the freebie and not happy.

If you still want a Samsung M8, HN Bondi Junction have the 46" M8 marked at $2341 today. There are only 2 left and 1 is ex-demo, the other is box packed and worth buying. This is before cashback and haggling. In that position, you could easily haggle a 3 to 5-year warranty extension and delivery for $2300, then take $200 cashback.

The 46" is fantastic for a small gathering because you can get a lot of people around the TV and have a night in with movies, popcorn and some food (pizza and some drinks come to mind).

I didn't like any of Sony's Full HDTV designs, like the exposed joints on the W or the glass frames on the X/XBR. Hopefully the new ones will look better.

The Samsung speakers are pretty good but to really enjoy yourself, get a set of Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers (Orange IT, Capitol Square or York St outside Wynyard - $65) and two RCA 1:2 splitters (DSE - $7 each). Plug in the Red and White of the DVD player's audio cable into the adapter included with the speakers and the other Red-White of the splitter into the TV, to get 7.1 sound for under $80. You can then switch off the TV and put in an MP3 DVD/CD into the DVD player and use it as a little sound system.

Sony and Samsung's joint venture (S-LCD) means that the panel is the same, especially between the N8 and W3100. Both are made in Malaysia.

S-LCD is in South Korea, both being made in Malaysia has nothing to do with it.

The panels are not the same, different specs. Sony W is a lot better than the N8, from my viewing of both.

The N8 uses Chimei and AUO panels (as well as Samsung). Most likely you won't end up with a Samsung panel down here.

Look for the letter code on the sticker on the back like there was on the 22" lcd's.

GameOn website doesn't list it anymore as well as a few other sites I was monitoring for prices.

I suspect the N8 (and/or the M8) will be discontinued any day now and will be replaced with probably the A550 which is a lot better unit.

New models are likely to hit Australia earlier this year to be ready for the Olympics in August IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Members are saying that they are getting the N8 for $1500 and the M8 for $1650 (40 inch obviously) in other threads.

I went shopping today and the guy at Dick Smith's laughed at me when I told him that people were selling the M8 for $1650, he then claimed that their cost price was $1800 and he couldn't go lower than $1890. He said he had two in stock and didn't keep trying to sell it or to sell me anything else, just sort of left me dangling. Also they weren't on the floor so it isn't like anyone else was likely to want one at a higher price in a hurry.

I then tried JB where they had an N8, best they'd do was $1700 for the display model. Similar experience of the salesman basically just buggering off. What am I doing wrong?

Edited by Quom

Members are saying that they are getting the N8 for $1500 and the M8 for $1650 (40 inch obviously) in other threads.

I went shopping today and the guy at Dick Smith's laughed at me when I told him that people were selling the M8 for $1650, he then claimed that their cost price was $1800 and he couldn't go lower than $1890. He said he had two in stock and didn't keep trying to sell it or to sell me anything else, just sort of left me dangling. Also they weren't on the floor so it isn't like anyone else was likely to want one at a higher price in a hurry.

I then tried JB where they had an N8, best they'd do was $1700 for the display model. Similar experience of the salesman basically just buggering off. What am I doing wrong?

mate, if they don't want your business take it elsewhere...

Another good way to sure up a sale is to be ready to buy on the spot... For example, I purchased a Pioneer 508xda last week for $2700 after the salesman made an offer of $2940. i told him if he did it for $2700 i would pay in full right then and there... otherwise i'll go look around elsewhere. from the store's perspective its like the old saying 'better one tit in the hand, then two in the bra' :D

I did do that. I told them I could get the cash in a matter of seconds (need to cash in a couple of money orders as I don't really want to carry that sort of cash in my wallet in case my business isn't wanted). Didn't faze them in the least. Will have to start traveling around trying to get a decent price I think (tried all the shops in Southland). Which is a bit bloody silly, surely a profits a profit. It seems a bit stupid to refuse what someone else will take. I guess if they sell cheap they then have to wait for more stock before having a go at a higher price. But when it's out the back like in the case of DSE and no-one knows you even have them without asking I can't see the logic.

Edited by Quom

Which place was this ?

Try Myer and see how low he can go. They have the look of a prestigious store but they're providing fantastic bargains these days. I believe they get a lower price from the manufacturers and pass it on to consumers.

The guy from Myer quoted me $1900 but was busy dealing with another guy who was after the same set (this was for the N8). They were out of stock an were expecting 20 more but not until mid-May, so I figured there wasn't much point haggling, especially since he was trying to divert our attention to a Panasonic that he had out the back.

Like I said in my earlier post all the stores that sell Samsungs in Southland shopping centre. Will try the good guys or retravision (or dare I say it HN who I just realised I missed) and see if I do any better. Bit of a bugger though was hoping to have it for the long weekend.

Edited by Quom

I got quoted $1750 for the 40"M8 at retravision near highpoint and $1550 for the 40"N8. Myer highpoint was able to match the $1550 for the N8.

Hi Quom,

Looks like Highpoint is the place to go (unless you prefer to remain close to home and pay more money).

Hi all!

This is my first post on this forum. Have tried to search for something that would answer my question but this thread is pretty much as close as i could get.

Im sure its a simple question (I hope it is anyway) and if anyone can assist or at least point me in the right direction, it would be really appreciated.

I purchased a Samsung 40' LA40N81BDX a couple of months ago. Its been in storage till now as ive just moved house.

After plugging it in, when i go to the tv/dtv button to get digital, all i get is a blank screen with a message saying "no signal"

I live in Clifton Hill, which is only a few km's from the centre of Melbourne in a 2 year old townhouse. All antenna connections are of the new style so its not

as if the place isnt wired up to receive new technology.

My first impression was that I need to get a digital tuner for it but surely thats not the case in this particular model.

Any thoughts??

Cheers

I purchased a Samsung 40' LA40N81BDX a couple of months ago. Its been in storage till now as ive just moved house.

After plugging it in, when i go to the tv/dtv button to get digital, all i get is a blank screen with a message saying "no signal"

This TV has a built-in digital tuner. I own the 46" version. Did you tune the digital channels on it? It tunes analog and digital separately. If you don't then it's "No signal".

This TV has a built-in digital tuner. I own the 46" version. Did you tune the digital channels on it? It tunes analog and digital separately. If you don't then it's "No signal".

Many thanks for your reply Kulfi.

Ill have to check that i have programmed the digital stations. I thought I did!!

Anyway, at least I know that it is capable of playing digital TV.

I would be surprised if there was no signal as I live very close to central Melbourne.

Anyway, thanks for your advice!