Epson Tw1000

Hi everybody, I'm newbie here! I'm very excited to share with you guys my two days experimenting with the Epson which I purchased from PriceJapan, first thing I sadly noticed is the lens assembly as there is a lot of dust or dirt accumulating only after 30 mins or so of use. I suspect that this is got to do with the cooling process due to a very porous filter element unlike other PJs.

Have anyone experienced this issue? is it covered by the Int'l warranty? if not then how to dut it off?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everybody, I'm newbie here! I'm very excited to share with you guys my two days experimenting with the Epson which I purchased from PriceJapan, first thing I sadly noticed is the lens assembly as there is a lot of dust or dirt accumulating only after 30 mins or so of use. I suspect that this is got to do with the cooling process due to a very porous filter element unlike other PJs.

Have anyone experienced this issue? is it covered by the Int'l warranty? if not then how to dut it off?

Thanks in advance!

Does the dust intefere with the picture? Do you see dust blobs? or do you only notice the dust when you look at the lens?

Ok, now that a few of us have this projector what is the consensus on the best settings? Theatre Black 1 seems to be the most popular in the reviews but what about :

Auto Iris? - I have it ON

Brightness High/Low ? - I have it HIGH

Color Temp? - 6500K

HDMI Video range? - I have it on NORMAL

Epson Super White? - I have it OFF

Everything else I have left on the default settings (eg: Brightness/Contrast/Saturation at 0, Tint and Skin Tone at 3). I have also experimented a bit with turning the red gain down - at the moment it is at -3.

Obviously this will all depend on the room conditions, screen etc (my setup is light controlled on a 90" screen of unknown gain) but I just thought it might be useful to compare notes :D

Cheers, Paul

Does the dust intefere with the picture? Do you see dust blobs? or do you only notice the dust when you look at the lens?

Thanks for the precise question, actually there is no obvious interference with the output picture, however when I look closly at the lens while the PJ is on I notice the dust and dirt, even my wife noticed it!

Now, if we compare the filter of Epson with the closest competitors HC5000, A1000 they use diiferent material (namely foam type filter element for the former) which trap micro dust & dirt. I just purchased little piece of that filter and now I'm thinking of replacing the OEM one with foam type but dunno if the fan will be able to suck in the same volume of cool air.

Pls. advise.

Thanks[/font]

Thanks for the precise question, actually there is no obvious interference with the output picture, however when I look closly at the lens while the PJ is on I notice the dust and dirt, even my wife noticed it!

Now, if we compare the filter of Epson with the closest competitors HC5000, A1000 they use diiferent material (namely foam type filter element for the former) which trap micro dust & dirt. I just purchased little piece of that filter and now I'm thinking of replacing the OEM one with foam type but dunno if the fan will be able to suck in the same volume of cool air.

Pls. advise.

Thanks[/font]

I wouldn't be changing the oem filters to anything else myself - I'm picking they know better than me

If you are concerned with external dust on the lens - all lens seem to be attractive electrostatically to dust - it makes NO diff to the PQ at that short focal length so it is a non-issue. (try putting say a pencil directly against the lens and look at what little diff that even makes to the PQ)

Ok, now that a few of us have this projector what is the consensus on the best settings? Theatre Black 1 seems to be the most popular in the reviews but what about :

Auto Iris? - I have it ON

Brightness High/Low ? - I have it HIGH

Color Temp? - 6500K

HDMI Video range? - I have it on NORMAL

Epson Super White? - I have it OFF

Everything else I have left on the default settings (eg: Brightness/Contrast/Saturation at 0, Tint and Skin Tone at 3). I have also experimented a bit with turning the red gain down - at the moment it is at -3.

Obviously this will all depend on the room conditions, screen etc (my setup is light controlled on a 90" screen of unknown gain) but I just thought it might be useful to compare notes :D

Cheers, Paul

Well done Paul - glad you are liking the 1080p goodness

Why don't you just ring Epson to verify what is already old news...

I would not worry too much about the price japan website.

It is fact, the epson carries an international warranty and

WILL be repaired in Australia if purchased from overseas,

including price japan.

Even if it was not covered, the round trip to japan and back

is all of $320. You're still over 2 grand in front at worst.

Head Office - Sydney

3 Talavera Road

North Ryde, NSW 2113

Locked Bag 2238

North Ryde BC1670

Tel: (02) 8899 3666

Fax: (02) 8899 3777

Ask for the tech support section, not sales.

I was concerned about the international warranty as my experience with other products and manufacturers has not been pleasant.

So, I called Epson on the above numbers, and they confirmed that, yes, projectors do carry an international warranty, and that "back to base" means you take it or send it to your nearest service agent. If that is in Australia, and you purchased in Japan, that is OK, as long as you have all your documentation.

I'm finally convinced!

I am now the very very happy owner of a Epson TW1000 from PriceJapan. Connected it up temporary a couple nights ago now, to see if i have a working model, I only have 1 wall which is near the same size as a 110 screen and near my AV. This wall happens to be a feature wall in my lounge which is coloured a very deep olive green, but even with this very incorrect colour i can't believe how good (yes good) the images are. Can't wait till my real screen turns up. Even the wife is convinced that we did need a projector, she also could'nt believe how great the DVD's looked on that crappy green wall.

Richard are you listening, please hurry up with that 110 motorised screen.

I've ordered some 10m Component leads from "Selby" on ebay (hope there good ones, they were the most expensive, that must be good lol) and yes i'm still after a GOOD component switch/amp (1in - 2out) I need to be able to direct my only available component out signal from my AV, to either OR both my TV monitor or to the Projector, without signal loss or noise.

I am also running a 10m HMDI lead as well for when i go HD/BlueRay. Any suggestions guys before i actually get in the roof.

I have read that the TW1000 has a very ordinary filter, any ideas on using/making something finer, would not want to retrict air flow too much.

I am now the very very happy owner of a Epson TW1000 from PriceJapan. Connected it up temporary a couple nights ago now, to see if i have a working model, I only have 1 wall which is near the same size as a 110 screen and near my AV. This wall happens to be a feature wall in my lounge which is coloured a very deep olive green, but even with this very incorrect colour i can't believe how good (yes good) the images are. Can't wait till my real screen turns up. Even the wife is convinced that we did need a projector, she also could'nt believe how great the DVD's looked on that crappy green wall.

I've ordered some 10m Component leads from "Selby" on ebay (hope there good ones, they were the most expensive, that must be good lol) and yes i'm still after a GOOD component switch/amp (1in - 2out) I need to be able to direct my only available component out signal from my AV, to either OR both my TV monitor or to the Projector, without signal loss or noise.

I am also running a 10m HMDI lead as well for when i go HD/BlueRay. Any suggestions guys before i actually get in the roof.

I have read that the TW1000 has a very ordinary filter, any ideas on using/making something finer, would not want to retrict air flow too much.

CONGRATS!

im jealous! just a few more pay checks................

I don't know about your budget but I am on pre-order for the Onkyo 875 AVR. You could definitely get away with either the 605 or the 805, but I went with the 875 because it has the Reon for video scaling etc. The TW1000 not having the Reon on board is the only negative I have found with mine. I had been tossing up between it and the Mitsu5000 (which does have the Reon - but not HDMI 1.3).

Anyway the Onkyo supports HDMI 1.3 and the with the 875 you can input any source (composite, s-video, component, HDMI), and it will be scaled by the Reon to 1080p and output via HDMI. So only 1 HDMI cable needed from amp to projector. There is a huge markup on the Onkyo receivers so there is heaps of room for negotiating. (take about 25% off recommended retail based on a couple of calls I have made)

Hope this helps

Greg

PS Wait until you hook a BD player up to the projector. If you think DVD looks good, you will be completely blown away

I don't know about your budget but I am on pre-order for the Onkyo 875 AVR. You could definitely get away with either the 605 or the 805, but I went with the 875 because it has the Reon for video scaling etc. The TW1000 not having the Reon on board is the only negative I have found with mine. I had been tossing up between it and the Mitsu5000 (which does have the Reon - but not HDMI 1.3).

Anyway the Onkyo supports HDMI 1.3 and the with the 875 you can input any source (composite, s-video, component, HDMI), and it will be scaled by the Reon to 1080p and output via HDMI. So only 1 HDMI cable needed from amp to projector. There is a huge markup on the Onkyo receivers so there is heaps of room for negotiating. (take about 25% off recommended retail based on a couple of calls I have made)

Hope this helps

Greg

PS Wait until you hook a BD player up to the projector. If you think DVD looks good, you will be completely blown away

Onkyo SR875, Denon and Sony 5300/4300 and indeed there will be quite a lot of new rec/amp arrive on the market in the next few month and a lot of them will be very good partner for the Epson and other 1080P projectors, these amps will allow you to take advantage of the new surround sound format only available on HD-DVD and blu-ray and the video scaling aspect of amp-rec will be just a bit of bonus. I think if you want to purchase a new rec/amp then Xmas time this year may just be ideal time to buy.

does anyone have the PJ wall mounted? I was planning on mounting on the

wall above and behind my head?

Sort of..... I am actually using a TV mount attached to the ceiling (high ceilings). I modified it way back when I bought my first PJ (about 7 years ago). I originally dismantled the shelf and put it on the underside of the support arm, and then screwed the upside down PJ to it. I did buy a proper mount for the new TW1000, but it wasn't big enough, so i put the mount back the way it was originally meant to be, and now have the PJ sitting on it. I then just drilled another couple of holes in the shelf to secure the PJ properly. It isn't the prettiest thing (since I have modified it a couple of times), but with a new TV support I don't think you could go wrong.

yeah i bought one from bunnings. 600x400 i think the base is so will easily handle the 1000.

Just wasnt sure on the lens shift? Will be about 2.2m off the ground i guess and bottom of

screen will be about 1.0m off the ground at about 4.5m away.

yeah i bought one from bunnings. 600x400 i think the base is so will easily handle the 1000.

Just wasnt sure on the lens shift? Will be about 2.2m off the ground i guess and bottom of

screen will be about 1.0m off the ground at about 4.5m away.

You shouldn't have any problems at all. The bottom of mine is 2.3 off the ground and the bottom of the screen is less than .5m off the ground, also about 4.5 away. The screen is 120" diagonal.

The only problem I found with the lens shift that extreme (won't be quite as bad in your situation), is that about 1/4 the way in from either side of the screen, the picture distorts slightly (rises upwards). The only time I notice this is when I am using the guide on my HTPC. In 100 hours of general use, I have only ever noticed it once in a panning shot. So you should be ok.

Good luck

I just bit the bullet and ordered and paid for the TW1000 from PriceJapan :D

Now I just have to wait for it, I used PayPal so I'm hoping it will arrive Monday since I have an RDO then, fingers crossed ;)

cheers :)

Well done Macca !