Samsung La40f71bx And La46f71bx

I have bee waiting since 17 january for my La46f71bx... The good news is that Samsung have a shipment ready for dispatch on 19 February and I have been allocated one of these units (expected eta 22 February).

There are 320 units on the waiting list and even with the shipment dispatched on 19 february there will not be enough TVs to cover the 320 already on the waiting list..

where did you get this information on ?

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have bee waiting since 17 january for my La46f71bx... The good news is that Samsung have a shipment ready for dispatch on 19 February and I have been allocated one of these units (expected eta 22 February).

There are 320 units on the waiting list and even with the shipment dispatched on 19 february there will not be enough TVs to cover the 320 already on the waiting list..

where did you get this information from .. and are these units for all over australia ?

Hi,

Is $3200 Sydney price? If so, do you mind telling me which one?

Regards

Ed

I'm not sure. In Adelaide I was originally quoted $3550 from HN with extended warranty. But I managed to get it down to 3000 + 250 for extended warranty (apparently warranty was a 50% discount).

Did most others bother with additional warranty ? Doesn't sound like it at the prices everyone else is getting them at, but I could be wrong.

I dont know why people waste extra cash on extended warranty when the units come with 3 yrs anyway. In 3 yrs time these will be out dated....well sort of.

I understand when there is only 1 years warranty, but 3...why waste $250 on it ?

Each to their own i guess.

$250 over 3 years is about $73 a year. Not much more in the scheme of things and if you were planning to use it heavily I think the additional warranty is worth it. Isn't standard warranty 4 years ?

I dont know why people waste extra cash on extended warranty when the units come with 3 yrs anyway. In 3 yrs time these will be out dated....well sort of.

I understand when there is only 1 years warranty, but 3...why waste $250 on it ?

Each to their own i guess.

IMHO, after 3 years, there will be much better panel available in the market. It will be better getting a upgraded panel. I still remember 3 years ago, people were buying SD plasma for 50k.

I'm not sure. In Adelaide I was originally quoted $3550 from HN with extended warranty. But I managed to get it down to 3000 + 250 for extended warranty (apparently warranty was a 50% discount).

Did most others bother with additional warranty ? Doesn't sound like it at the prices everyone else is getting them at, but I could be wrong.

Thanks, I hope Sydney can do better. Anyone from Sydney got a lower price recently? I am looking to buy within a month or so. Then again, the Schaub Lorenz look brillant too (thats with 5 years warranty as standard).

Thanks in Advance!

Cheers

Ed

Guest Bullaburra
Thanks, I hope Sydney can do better. Anyone from Sydney got a lower price recently? I am looking to buy within a month or so. Then again, the Schaub Lorenz look brillant too (thats with 5 years warranty as standard).

Thanks in Advance!

Cheers

Ed

$2840 - JB Hi-Fi Penrith after I told them I could get the 40" for 2950 from Exeltek.com.au - thanks DrewDrew.

IMHO, after 3 years, there will be much better panel available in the market. It will be better getting a upgraded panel. I still remember 3 years ago, people were buying SD plasma for 50k.

Yeah, but that's because it was a relatively new consumer technology. With digital TV being around for a few years now and there's stuff all 1080 broadcasting I find it hard to believe that a 1080 screen is going to be superceded enough to warrent paying another 5k to upgrade after 5 years. Yes, there will be better screens but as far as resolution goes they won't be severly superceded. Colour depth responce time etc would improve.

I wouldn't want to spend 5k every three years if my TV died so a poxy amount of money on an extended warrenty is useful if probably never needed.

Yes but it is very hard to get rid of the old set as no one wants to buy 2nd hand plasmas.

And a 42" is too big for the bedroom. So when I bought mine I plan to keep it until it's broken and the 5 years warranty is expired.

well ok i must be really unlucky!!

as the samsung was being delayed i went and bargained the sony 46 X series to $ 4999. As i was gonna pay for it guess what, sony are out of stock as well and wont get the 46 till march anyway. :blink:

So now its a race between which comes first, although i dont mind waiting up on the sony because of the built in HD tuner.

Hi Guys

I called Samsung Service Center and asked for firmware update. And they fixed the appointment on Tuesday .. They will come and install the update...

Waiting for it :blink:

Cheers

Awesome I emailed Win at the start of the week and still haven't heard back. Has anyone else managed to get an upgrade booked through emailing Win or is everyone just calling the Service Center

Hey guys, picked up my 46" yesterday! It was a huge surprise getting the call from JB as they told me last week that it would arrive about 26-28 Feb. I guess some are starting to trickle in, so watch out for yours soon.

This thing is fantastic, apart from a red push which I'm trying to resolve. Running through vga from my media center lappy at the moment and it looks great with the 1:1 mapping.

I'm getting a Samsung tech to come and install the firmware Monday morning. Some notes about that:

I rang Samsung Electronics and asked to speak to Win Aung as Pendulum suggested. The guy on the phone did not sound at all happy that I asked for Win by name. He went on to advise that all Samsung tech centers ((find your nearest one here http://www.samsung.com.au/servicelocator.asp) should know about the update. If they don't yet know, it's available to them to download from Samsung's tech-only site.

So there is NO need to call Samsung electronics. Just call your local Samsung tech center and they can come do it IN YOUR HOME. One place I rang told me they needed to take my tv to their workshop. I told them no.. it's an easy procedure they can do on site. They're coming to pick it up, they may aswell do it here. They didn't budge so I rang someone else who can do it this Monday.

If anyone has some ideas on how to resolve the red push on this tv I'd like to hear it. I've read it's a problem on other forums but haven't had much time to look into it yet.

Awesome I emailed Win at the start of the week and still haven't heard back. Has anyone else managed to get an upgrade booked through emailing Win or is everyone just calling the Service Center

To anyone trying to contact Win for the firmware update, please stop. Read my post above for more details.

Edited by tonehenge

I picked up my 46 inch on Monday, i ordered it the week before Christmas!!

I am a little bit disapointed with one area though. The far left and right say 1/6 of the screen is much brighter than the centre, particularly the top left hand corner. You cant really notice it unless it is dark and the screen is black though. There are also a few blotchy bright patches on the screen that i can see when it is dark and the screen is black. It is very much like the pictures i have seen of the Sony backlight bleed problems, but not as bad as what i have seen posted on this forum. Is this normal or should i get someone to come out and look at it?

Hey Tonehenge you got yours from Marion right...they rang me up i think it was yesterday and told me that my TV was there. I said sweet so i can just come in and pick it up, they said yes. Then i asked if it mattered that i had already picked mine up on Monday.......damn it i shouldn't of said anything! Guess that one was yours.

When its dark and you have a black screen, does you see any backlight bleed or is your screen perfectly black???

Also please let me know who you called so i can call them too.

I picked up my 46 inch on Monday, i ordered it the week before Christmas!!

I am a little bit disapointed with one area though. The far left and right say 1/6 of the screen is much brighter than the centre, particularly the top left hand corner. You cant really notice it unless it is dark and the screen is black though. There are also a few blotchy bright patches on the screen that i can see when it is dark and the screen is black. It is very much like the pictures i have seen of the Sony backlight bleed problems, but not as bad as what i have seen posted on this forum. Is this normal or should i get someone to come out and look at it?

Yer mine has the same thing. My left bottom corner is a bit brighter and there are some blotches as well which you can see in a dark room and when the tv is projecting a black image. A good example is the windows xp default screensaver. I've just resigned to the fact that this is an lcd issue which won't be fixed until there is a different backlight solution like led that comes out. There are reports of cloudiness from all makes and models. Sony, Sharp, Samsung etc.

I wonder if there truly are cloud free lcd's out there. If people claiming theirs has no clouds know what to look for. Maybe others have different settings, like brightness, contrast, energy saving (on high?). Have ppl really been that lucky to exchange their cloudy set for one that has absolutely none? I don't want to bother exchanging mine when the replacement will likely have the same issue. It's not like there's an abundance of these sets out there to swap with at the moment! You'd likely be waiting for AGES.

At the moment I can only see it when the screensaver is on. You might be able to notice it a little with dark scenes, but I guess we all have to make concessions with any tv we buy in today's market. Bring on SED's and laser tv?

Hey Tonehenge you got yours from Marion right...they rang me up i think it was yesterday and told me that my TV was there. I said sweet so i can just come in and pick it up, they said yes. Then i asked if it mattered that i had already picked mine up on Monday.......damn it i shouldn't of said anything! Guess that one was yours.

When its dark and you have a black screen, does you see any backlight bleed or is your screen perfectly black???

Also please let me know who you called so i can call them too.

omg hahaha. Wow, that is bad form from JB! Thanks for your honesty! :blink: Although you wouldn't have had a clean receipt without "picked up" stamped on it =) I thought it was a little strange that when they called me yesterday they asked "you haven't got your tv yet have you?".. to which I responded "umm, nope!"

For cloudiness, see my above post.

I'm booked with Total Care Services 8351 1044. Stag were the ones who insisted they take my tv to their workshop! I also rang Electronic Audio Workshop 82932198, but I cancelled with them as they didn't seem to know about the udpate. When I cancelled the lady said the tech had just downloaded the update, so they'd be a good one too.

Did you notice your set has a red push to it? Reds are too bright and the picture generally is too red?

Edited by tonehenge

This thing is fantastic, apart from a red push which I'm trying to resolve. Running through vga from my media center lappy at the moment and it looks great with the 1:1 mapping.

Have you tried playing any 720P or 1080P WMV or QT videos on there from the PC?

Have you tried playing any 720P or 1080P WMV or QT videos on there from the PC?

I've run some xvid and 720p mkv videos. Also ran one 1080p QT trailer. They all look great. Just the red push like I mentioned. A friend is coming over this weekend with some 1080 movies he's downloaded. I'll have to try via hdmi once the firmware has been applied. Will ask the Samsung tech about adjusting the colours too. I think there's a service menu with extra functions you can get to which has more options for colour adjustment. I'll also have to play with nvidia colour adjustments.