Bravia X Series Patchy Backlight Bleed

Whereabouts do you live romas, in which state?

The Sony-authorised repair centre guy I spoke to in Melbourne told me the clouding on my screen was normal, even though I'd carefully set up the panel in a dark room so he could see it with his own eyes. He took the panel away to be 'assessed' about a week ago, and I haven't heard back from them yet.

I've already filed a complaint with Consumer Affairs Victoria over the matter and I'm preparing myself to have to raise a claim with the Victoria Civil & Administrative Tribunal. Any examples of other Sony-authorised repair centres admitting that it's a manufacturing fault would really benefit me, even if it's just to give me faith in humanity once again...

Edited by magictorch

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmmm... roughly translated: Turn down all the settings so that it looks like one of those Chinese TVs you can buy at Kmart. If you can still see the problem we'll send you a firmware update that will allow those settings to go even lower than they can now... therefore reducing the brightness of your picture to unimaginably low levels of gloom. But the Sony logo will still be shiny and lit like magic in the glass, so that's alright. :blink:

Yep, spot on mate. Looks like Sony is spending their money on spin doctors instead of replacing their shoddly built tvs. Still enjoying the Pio BTW! :D

Hey Magictorch. I got the same response from the guy that came and looked at mine. I'm also in Melbourne.

What was the end result with your panel?

I just got a call from the repair centre. The girl said that the TV had been fixed after an 'ageing process'. She said that the problem would have resolved itself after 40-80 hours of use anyway. I explained that the panel had been used for hundreds of hours already, including at least 40 hours left on continuously on the advice of Sony, and I had already explained this to the technician when he picked up the TV.

The panel's being returned in a couple of days (though they can only guarantee it will be delivered between midday and 5pm, which means yet another half-day taken off work), though I wil insist on hooking it up and checking it in a dark room before I accept it back or sign for anything...

The girl said that the TV had been fixed after an 'ageing process'.

Hmmm. Kind of makes you wonder if they've done a single thing to it doesn't it? Let us know how it goes Magic Torch. My fingers are crossed for a magic fix for you. Hey - be sure to check they haven't just turned on that gloomy light-sensor setting or otherwise generally knocked the brightness way down to mask it.

The girl said that the TV had been fixed after an 'ageing process'. She said that the problem would have resolved itself after 40-80 hours of use anyway.

Yeah right. A likely scenario is that the repair guys would have contacted Sony to get information and arrange parts to fix it. Sony advises them of the magic 40hr fix. Well thats easy, so the repair guys do it - voila, fixed - and its not their problem anymore. I seriously doubt it would be any different than when it went in.

If you can, I suggest dropping into the repair centre to check it out before it gets transported anywhere.

Good luck with it.

Hmmm. Kind of makes you wonder if they've done a single thing to it doesn't it? Let us know how it goes Magic Torch. My fingers are crossed for a magic fix for you. Hey - be sure to check they haven't just turned on that gloomy light-sensor setting or otherwise generally knocked the brightness way down to mask it.

I agree with that. Definitely be careful to check the brightness settings have not been adjusted. They could manually adjust the settings in the service menu and not just turn on that terrible light sensor. It will be interesting to see how it works out for you.

I just got my 40X yesterday and it has the problem too. I will check tonight what the build date is. Has anyone actually had it improve after 40 hours use?

Hey Cooper. Sorry to hear you had to join the club. Also sorry to tell you I haven't read any reports of the 40hr fix doing a thing... and if the general concensus on what is actually causing it is true then that's just what you would expect.

Had mine for a couple of months and it's not getting any better or worse. August build

Let us know what your build date is. Thanks.

Hey Cooper. Sorry to hear you had to join the club. Also sorry to tell you I haven't read any reports of the 40hr fix doing a thing... and if the general concensus on what is actually causing it is true then that's just what you would expect.

Had mine for a couple of months and it's not getting any better or worse. August build

Let us know what your build date is. Thanks.

A agree it does not get any better. I have a bleed in the top left corner. Thinking of taking on Sony. I am itching for a fight...

46x Nov build

Hi All,

I have had the same problem as all of you and have been fighting tooth and nail with Sony and their Service Centre.

Please find this forum very interesting from the US which I have followed for the past 2 months.

They have an XBR2 & XBR3 series. The XBR2 is equivalent to the X Series released in Australia.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....e=167&pp=30 (you may have to copy and paste into browser)

What do you think?

Hi All,

I have had the same problem as all of you and have been fighting tooth and nail with Sony and their Service Centre.

Please find this forum very interesting from the US which I have followed for the past 2 months.

They have an XBR2 & XBR3 series. The XBR2 is equivalent to the X Series released in Australia.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....e=167&pp=30 (you may have to copy and paste into browser)

What do you think?

What have Sony said to you?

I called Sony this morning and they said that it is condensation from the manufacturing process and will be fixed with the TV running for 40 hours. (Yeah Right!)

I will run it nonstop over the weekend and then call them back on Monday. Also when I get home tonight I will let you guys know the build date.

They say the problem is isolated to the US only and I continue arguing to no avail.

They also say that no one else has reported the problem...just me!!!!!

What a load of $%$#?

hey i am happy to get on a conference call with you and sony and tell them mine is bleeding also...keep pushing.

Go higher, threaten media attention.....do what you need to because thats bull

I called Sony this morning and they said that it is condensation from the manufacturing process and will be fixed with the TV running for 40 hours. (Yeah Right!)

I will run it nonstop over the weekend and then call them back on Monday. Also when I get home tonight I will let you guys know the build date.

You will be wasting your time. It does nothing. They said the same thing to me.

On the basis that he liked my 40X a friend/neighbour bought one last week. September build, same as mine. It has the slight cloud, mostly lower LHS and only visible on blank screen. As soon as you feed it a signal it’s 100% perfect. I had a look on Saturday morning and it was noticeable but not bad.

I went back last night to return a DVD and I noticed that it was almost gone. He had been running it all day whereas on Saturday morning it was there at first turn on. He also had the air con on all day yesterday, whereas on Saturday morning he hadn’t had it running since Thursday. So it was quite humid in the room on Saturday but very dry last night.

Has anyone else with the cloudiness noticed that it is different (location or brightness) on different days or is it always the same?

A question for the more technical than me, does temperature, running time and humidity sound like things that would affect the cloudiness problem?

:blink: cheers :D

Yeah I know, I am going to do it just to say I did and then go in blazing on Monday.

Did you get yours replaced?

I actually have not taken it further at this point. Mine is not too bad but will be doing somehting about it soon. I will keep you posted.

Is there a possibility that there are two distinct causes of this problem?

1. humidity, where as running for 40 hours may reduce the problem

2. fauly light defuser plate, which would require replacement

Just seems odd that for some people it does get better whereas for others it does not

They say the problem is isolated to the US only and I continue arguing to no avail.

They also say that no one else has reported the problem...just me!!!!!

They are either inefficient or devious. I'll leave it to your own mind to make up which. There are many posts in this thread that are testament to calls having been placed with them.

If you speak to Sony again, feel free to refer them to claim no. 200604771, provided to me by Liam at Sony when I called with this issue and perhaps mention they could be a little more helpful and stop attempting to sweep things under the carpet. Insist on your own claim number as a record too.

My 40X December build swap for my dodgy August one arrives this Saturday. It had better be a goody.

They are either inefficient or devious. I'll leave it to your own mind to make up which. There are many posts in this thread that are testament to calls having been placed with them.

If you speak to Sony again, feel free to refer them to claim no. 200604771, provided to me by Liam at Sony when I called with this issue and perhaps mention they could be a little more helpful and stop attempting to sweep things under the carpet. Insist on your own claim number as a record too.

My 40X December build swap for my dodgy August one arrives this Saturday. It had better be a goody.

Let us know Crayons how it looks?

So, I finally got my Bravia back, after the 'ageing process' the oh-so-helpful European Electronics in Melbourne have put it through.

I haven't had the chance to look at a range of inputs in a range of different lighting conditions yet, but from the brief opportunity I've had to check the screen, the cloudiness appears to be exactly the same.

So, I finally got my Bravia back, after the 'ageing process' the oh-so-helpful European Electronics in Melbourne have put it through.

I haven't had the chance to look at a range of inputs in a range of different lighting conditions yet, but from the brief opportunity I've had to check the screen, the cloudiness appears to be exactly the same.

Sorry to hear that, but I wasn't really surprised. What's your next plan of attack?