Panasonic Px600a Calibration Settings

thanks for that! i might pick up a different lead in tandy under the dicksmith brand instead. ive searched around a bit for them and didnt really want to pay 50 bucks for a set. but they sell them at tandy for $20 at 0.5m which is hopefully as long as i need.

Check out eBay. There are plenty of component cable on there at great prices. I picked up 3 sets of 1.5m components for 32 bucks.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest spoleweski

Yep I've checked the aspect ratio is set to 16:9, still stretched but i dunno why :blink:

Could it be that the dvd recorder isnt capturing the image digitally? And is instead sourcing it from the antennae in annolgue format? And if this is the case how do I go about fixing that?

Yep I've checked the aspect ratio is set to 16:9, still stretched but i dunno why :blink:

Could it be that the dvd recorder isnt capturing the image digitally? And is instead sourcing it from the antennae in annolgue format? And if this is the case how do I go about fixing that?

Not sure about the LG's, but IIRC the Panasonic DVD recorders (at least previous models) didn't set the correct recording flag to 16:9. The LG maybe doing the same. If you change the ratio on the dvd / tele to 4:3 does the picture look correct?

Chuck a recorded DVD in to the PC and check what ratio it is with IFOedit or something similar. If that's the problem I don't think there is an easy workaround other than changing the flag on a PC each time.

HTH

Cheers

Well, finally had the opportunity to set my TV to the settings described on the first page of this thread, thanks to all who took the time to figure this stuff out, certainly makes it a lot easier for us no tech no types.

However I do have a question, how do I change the Color Matrix and I can't even find Ch Color set?

Anybody help?

However I do have a question, how do I change the Color Matrix and I can't even find Ch Color set?

You can't change the Color Matrix setting - it is automatically selected depending on the input signal.

I dont think the 'Ch Color' setting exists in the px600a model. The settings at the start of the thread were derived from Persian Immortals calibration of the previous model Panasonic pv500a. They are a good starting point, but since the px600a firmware and settings are different they may not be exactly the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has already been covered somewhere else.

Just a few questions:

I just bought a HDMI cable and have no idea what it does, the guy in the store said I needed one.

Should any of the settings (page 1) be changed? What is the best setup?

Also I watch alot of foxtel digital and am getting quite concerned about the image retention of channel

signs, especially Foxsports and football scoreboards. Anyone else have this problem?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sorry if this has already been covered somewhere else.

Just a few questions:

I just bought a HDMI cable and have no idea what it does, the guy in the store said I needed one.

Should any of the settings (page 1) be changed? What is the best setup?

Also I watch alot of foxtel digital and am getting quite concerned about the image retention of channel

signs, especially Foxsports and football scoreboards. Anyone else have this problem?

Any help greatly appreciated.

JJ,

whoa - no offense but do you often buy things just because 'the salesman told me to'?

didn't you do your research on this forum before you bought?????

oh boy - of course a hdmi cable is a connection cable. as with any connection cable, it connects two devices together. therefore both devices would have to have a hdmi 'plug' for this cable to plug into. you haven't said what other devices you have, and if they are hdmi compatible?

if you do not have another hdmi compatible device, then return the cable for a refund.

if you do, well then you would connect each device via the hdmi cable.

yes you should look at changing the settings as per page 1 of this thread, at least for a short while. your response indicates you have read this thread already?

lastly, you may be having image retention because your settings are still on dynamic if you haven't changed them out of the box. changing your settings should resolve. I do not have any image retention issues - but I'm assuming you have the pana px600a same as myself?

Yes you are exactly right, if the DVD recorder does not have a "DVB" logo on it, or it doesn't say "digital receiver" on it, then you are capturing good ol' analogue onto your DVDs. Solution is to buy a digital STB (SD is all you need) and feed it into the DVD recorder via the DVDrec's exernal input. Then you will record a 16:9 signal. When you play it on yout TV all will be well. If you play it on your PC it will look stretched vertically, 'cos the DVD player will still think it is recording a 4:3 signal though it is really getting a 16:9 signal and write "this is 4:3" onto the DVD. Anyway, unless you get a DVD player with digital tuner that's what you have to live with. Unless you get into reediting your DVDs and resetting the "aspect ratio" setting held on the disc. Not that hard but a bit of a pain.

Hope you got your progressive scan DVD player working- my Sony DVD player running progressive scan gives an amazing picture on good DVDs- just like film (e.g. The Corpse Bride). Note that if you flip from normal to progressive on your player you need to switch the TV to another input and back aagin so it can recognise the change in signals. Note that you MUST connect the progressive scan DVD player to the TV using DVI or HDMI or component- composite or aerial or s-video will not allow you to view progressive scan (as prog scan is 100Hz and composite/aerial/svideo are 50Hz).

There is also progressive scan and progressive scan- the chip used to do the progressive deinterlacing makes a big difference to the picture quality.

• 2 weeks later...

press the hold button on the very last option in menu 1

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364221

Quote:

a. Press analogue on remote and go to channel 99

b. Turn up bass to maximum

c. Turn down treble to minimum

d. Press V/- on TV while holding index button on remote

Now you can see service menu 1

e. Keep pressing green button and watch throuh the options. you will reach one point where you cannot go further (ie. the same display though you press green button)

f. Press hold button on remote (next to index button)

Now you se can see service menu 2

g. Again browse through various options by pressing green button. After 7/8 screens you can see the screen showing number of hours used.

after noting the number of hours used, press exit button to return to original screen

Hi all,

Need some reassurance, due to big fingers and small remote buttons I accidently pressed the yellow button when doing the "hours of operation" exercise as described above and altered one of the EQ settings, I think I returned it to the original value but to be positive can anyone confirm that the values I have listed below are correct.

Thanks a lot in advance

Mike

Setting values

EQ 120Hz 0, EQ 200Hz -2, EQ 500Hz 0

EQ 1.2KHz 0, EQ 3KHz -2, EQ 7.5 KHz 0, EQ 12 KHz 0

i fixed up the service menu access description for the 50PX600A

1. Press the ANALOGUE button on the remote and go to channel 99

2. Set the BASS to maximum

3. Set the TREBLE to minimum

4. Press and hold the INDEX button on the remote and then press the -/V button on the TV

5. Press the GREEN button to cycle forward through the options, or press the RED button to cycle the options in reverse. Proceed to the last option, which is EQ 12kHz, and press the HOLD button on the remote

Now you can see service menu 2

6. Press the GREEN button to cycle forward through the options, or press the RED button to cycle the options in reverse. Proceed to the last option, which is the HOURS USED screen

7. Press the EXIT button to return to channel 99

i fixed up the service menu access description for the 50PX600A

1. Press the ANALOGUE button on the remote and go to channel 99

2. Set the BASS to maximum

3. Set the TREBLE to minimum

4. Press and hold the INDEX button on the remote and then press the -/V button on the TV

5. Press the GREEN button to cycle through the options. Make your way to the last option, which is EQ 12kHz, and press the HOLD button on the remote

Now you can see service menu 2

6. Press the GREEN button to cycle through the options. On the 17th screen, which is 16 button presses, you will see the screen showing the number of hours used

7. Press the EXIT button to return to channel 99

Thank you Snakeeyes,

There are 4 values different to mine although I thought I only changed 1 in error, any idea what these settings control? Would they have anything to do with broadcast frequencies and be somewhat area, city specific ?

Your revised instruction is also right on the mark

Regards

Mike

5. Press the GREEN button to cycle through the options.

An even more simplified way instead of pressing the green button multiple times is to press the RED button once in each of steps 5 and 6. It cycles through in the opposite direction, so it gets you to the last page with one press.

________

MikeC:

my values are also

EQ 120Hz = -1

EQ 200Hz = -1

EQ 500Hz = 0

EQ 1.2kHz = 0

EQ 3kHz = -1

EQ 7.5kHz = 0

EQ 12kHz = -1

Firmware v31.020, Aug 2006 Build

I think there may be newer firmware version in the more recent builds (v31.040 or something like that) so some of the settings may be different for different manufacturing batches.

If you are not sure which settings you may have changed, you could try

Menu > Setup Menu > Shipping Condition

which I think would restore all settings to the original factory presets.

MikeC:

my values are also

EQ 120Hz = -1

EQ 200Hz = -1

EQ 500Hz = 0

EQ 1.2kHz = 0

EQ 3kHz = -1

EQ 7.5kHz = 0

EQ 12kHz = -1

Firmware v31.020, Aug 2006 Build

I think there may be newer firmware version in the more recent builds (v31.040 or something like that) so some of the settings may be different for different manufacturing batches.

If you are not sure which settings you may have changed, you could try

Menu > Setup Menu > Shipping Condition

which I think would restore all settings to the original factory presets.

Hi Malh,

Thanks for the advice, I reset to "Shipping condition" and then rechecked the values, no change to what I previously had, I do have the newer firmware version, v31.040, November 2006 build, so I am now happy to leave well enough alone.

Thanks to all for all the assistance :blink:

Mike

An even more simplified way instead of pressing the green button multiple times is to press the RED button once in each of steps 5 and 6. It cycles through in the opposite direction, so it gets you to the last page with one press.

thanks for the tip. i didnt want to go pressing other buttons with no knowledge of what they were doing. description updated

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought the 50px600a

These settings have been most helpful

I am having a problem with tuning.

We are on the SA/Vic border and receive broadcast from both states

Win vic uses physical channel 10, and win sa uses physical channel 32. Both try to save to channel 8

If I do an auto scan, win vic is stored

If I delete everything, mannually scan 32 and then do either manual on 10 or auto scan, I still have win sa ut win vic wont save

Is there a way around this

Cant see how to edit the channel number on the digital tuner

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone. Im fairly new to this forum so please excuse me if Im in the wrong place. I have just purchased a new panasonic TH-50PX600A . Im hoping someone can help me a little with the connections. I can get superb picture when viewing it via the TV but if I record a program on my Pioneer DVD Recorder (Which has a 80gb hard drive) and then play that program after selecting AV2 on the TV and pressing play on the dvd the picture quality is inferior. I have got it set up as follows.

Wall socket to RF in on DVD recorder

RF out on DVD to RF in on TV

Composite out on DVD to AV2 Composite in on DVD recorder

Is the problem that my DVD is recording an analogue signal and that is what I am viewing when I play it.

Is there a way that I can take the better signal from the TV and send that to the DVD as an input or do I need another set top box between the wall socket and my DVD? Has anyone here had this problem?

Also I read in this forum that the TV has to be "run in" and the settings shouldnt be more than 50%. I cant find anything in the instruction book about this and I assume that this means the brightness, colour etc . Is this right and why is it necessary? Thank you

Is there a way that I can take the better signal from the TV and send that to the DVD as an input or do I need another set top box between the wall socket and my DVD? Has anyone here had this problem?

Also I read in this forum that the TV has to be "run in" and the settings shouldnt be more than 50%...Is this right and why is it necessary?

Al

You're right in that the Pio DVD recorder only has an analogue tuner. You can have AV leads out of the panel and into the DVD to record off the panel's tuner, however this will change from digital signal to analogue and be recorded in analogue. The only difference between the PQ will be that the signal recorded off the DVB will be better than the analogue (no ghosting etc), but still inferior to the digital picture straight from the DVB tuner.

As you mention, another option is to buy a STB and record off that.

Some people run their plasmas in on settings not higher than 50% for the first ~100-200 hours. IMO I don't think this is necessary, however each to their own.

I guess I will have to save a few $ and get the panasonic DVD Recorder with 250gb hard drive and built in SD tuner. I cant find any that have a built in HD tuner so Im assuming there arent any

No there aren't, and yes the Panasonic EX75/EX85 is the answer to your problems.

• 3 weeks later...
You can't change the Color Matrix setting - it is automatically selected depending on the input signal.

I dont think the 'Ch Color' setting exists in the px600a model. The settings at the start of the thread were derived from Persian Immortals calibration of the previous model Panasonic pv500a. They are a good starting point, but since the px600a firmware and settings are different they may not be exactly the same.

I'm not too sure what's happened but i changed the colour matrix setting on my px600a while watching Channel Ten from SD to HD the other day. Ever since i did that the colour matrix option is greyed out and I can not change it back. Now on channel ten the picture displays faint vertical lines running all the way along the panel. It looks terrible compared with all other channels. I reset the panel to factory defaults and rescanned all channels but the colour matrix is still greyed out (and showing HD) and the picture looks really bad on Channel Ten, even when only recieving a SD signal from the tuner. Not sure if its coincidence, or what. Does anybody know if changing the colour matrix might have caused this, and if so how do i change it back?