37" PYROD LCD (1920x1080) @ KMART

I've been told by Electronics Australia that this model is no longer available and their next release will be a 42" LCD with double HDMI.

An update on my Pyrod 37" : it will not play DVD from my new LG 250 gig HDD through its HDMI to DVI. Not HTPC compliant. Full stop, nothing I can do about it. Do not buy this Pyrod (though I would now sell mine).

Is their new 42" full-HD(1920x1080) ?

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been told by Electronics Australia that this model is no longer available and their next release will be a 42" LCD with double HDMI.

An update on my Pyrod 37" : it will not play DVD from my new LG 250 gig HDD through its HDMI to DVI. Not HTPC compliant. Full stop, nothing I can do about it. Do not buy this Pyrod (though I would now sell mine).

Sorry I meant to reply to pbedo :blink:

How much pbedo?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I had no troubles getting 1920x1080p 60Hz with an ATI Sapphire 9600XT but now have a new PC with a Nvidia 8800GTX, and it seems harder to achieve! Can anyone shed some light on the Nvidia settings, I can't seem to set some of the parameters, (eg B porch), Campster123 shared below! Do I need Powerstrip for Nvidia cards??

QUOTE: Using DVI Campster123 got the Pyrod to do 1920x1080p72 using the following Advanced Timing parameters on an Nvidia 7900GT and on an ATI X800XL:

Horizontal Pixels: F Porch: 32, B Porch 64, Sync +, FEA 1920, SyncW 32, (SR 80.57), BEA 1920

Vertical Pixels: F Porch 3, B Porch 31, Sync +, FEA 1920, SyncW 5, Refresh 71.999, BEA 1080.

Interlace Mode "off", Pixel Clock 165.00

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

TIA

There is a small error in that timing. It should be:

Horizontal Pixels: F Porch: 32, B Porch 64, Sync +, FEA 1920, SyncW 32, (SR 80.57), BEA 1920 [H Total 2048]

Vertical Pixels: F Porch 3, B Porch 31, Sync +, FEA 1080, SyncW 5, Refresh 71.999, BEA 1080 [V Total 1119]

You shouldn't need PowerStrip, but I have heard that the 8800s have a new control panel which has caused some people trouble.

I believe that you don't need to explicitly set the back porchs using the Nvidia Advanced Timings page, as they are derived from H Total & V Total. What you can try doing is reduce the V Total (or reduce V Total and increase H Total) whilst maintaining or reducing Pixel Clock (do not exceed 165.00).

Adrian

Horizontal Pixels: F Porch: 32, B Porch 64, Sync +, FEA 1920, SyncW 32, (SR 80.57), BEA 1920 [H Total 2048]

Vertical Pixels: F Porch 3, B Porch 31, Sync +, FEA 1080, SyncW 5, Refresh 71.999, BEA 1080 [V Total 1119]

You shouldn't need PowerStrip, but I have heard that the 8800s have a new control panel which has caused some people trouble.

I believe that you don't need to explicitly set the back porchs using the Nvidia Advanced Timings page, as they are derived from H Total & V Total. What you can try doing is reduce the V Total (or reduce V Total and increase H Total) whilst maintaining or reducing Pixel Clock (do not exceed 165.00).

Adrian

Awesome man! Thanks for the speedy reply, I'll try it out as soon as I get home and report back... fingers crossed!

Thanks again,

Paul

Adrian

I tried these settings and they didn't work. I got these black horizontal lines that make the display look like a cracked car windscreen. The best I could get was 70.991 Hz using these timings:

Horizontal Pixels: F Porch: 32, B Porch 37, Sync +, FEA 1920, SyncW 88, (SR 79.297), BEA 1920 [H Total 2077]

Vertical Pixels: F Porch 21, B Porch 14, Sync -, FEA 1080, SyncW 2, Refresh 70.991, BEA 1080 [V Total 1117]

Interlace Mode "off", Pixel Clock 164.700

Any ideas on how I can get this closer to 72?

Also, my screen has four stuck pixels and two dead pixels. Is it worth keeping, or should I take it back for a new one or a refund? I noticed kmart have a Polaroid 37" for $1600, which is what I paid for this one. Would it be worth getting that instead? I got the Pyrod because I am going to be running the TV with a HTPC in my living room and I thought the Pyrod's better resolution would be beneficial. I still don't know whether I made the right decision however, and there seems to be an equal amount of good and bad feedback relating to this screen, which makes it even harder to decide.

Thanks for your help,

Damien

EDIT: By the way, the PC I am testing this on has a nvidia 7800gtx GPU, and the HTPC it will be used on has nvidia 6150 integrated graphics.

Edited by inm8

Adrian

I couldn't get the custom timings working, didn't have much time... :blink: ...but I did find a setting in the Nvidia Control Panel TV section that allowed me to instantly set 1920x1080p (I think the Pyrod said 67Hz??). Not too fussed on refresh rate, but might try Inm8's settings and muck around a bit when I get more time... So does the 7800GTX have a different control panel where you can set all of those settings?

Thanks party peeps,

Paul

Hi Everyone

Have just been searching the net for replacment lamps for my LCD RPTV SP61L2HX & came across

this forum.

Seems to be alot of problems with this model? i have had my since 04 when it fist came out & payed 10k for it & i am just started to have problems with it.

fist thing that happened wa that it kept turning itself on & off??? this happened about 2 months ago &

seemed to fix itself.

But now i could not turn it off with the remote so thought the battries in the remote where stuffed so replaced them, nothing tv still wouldnt swith off so turned it off a mains & low & behold now it wont switch on!

have not had any problem with picture etc just this. i have removed lamp and there seems to be a slight discolouration to glass thats all similar to a burn mark but clear.

Have contacted my extended warranty company & they where supposed to send an email to repairer to contact me but havent heard anything from them as yet & its been 3 days & what i am reading there not really worth the paper there written on either.

Bought it through Harvey Norman on Gold Coast & i am just about to ring the repairer as i got there number from the warranty company.

Hope the issue i have is only minor fingers crossed.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
I couldn't get the custom timings working, didn't have much time... :blink: ...but I did find a setting in the Nvidia Control Panel TV section that allowed me to instantly set 1920x1080p (I think the Pyrod said 67Hz??). Not too fussed on refresh rate, but might try Inm8's settings and muck around a bit when I get more time... So does the 7800GTX have a different control panel where you can set all of those settings?

Thanks party peeps,

Paul

Hi,

Could you let me know which Forceware driver and video card you're using. THanks.

• 2 months later...
It looks like HTPCs are the only way to get the best out of this screen.

With a HTPC, will this panel do FULL HD (1080p)?

Cause I'm thinking of getting a HTPC! And this panel sounds like the perfect friend for it!

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I just read the 12 or so pages of this thread dealing with this!

EDIT 2: While I've got your attention though... Is it possible this bad boy would one day run Blueray through a HTPC and DVI? Or will this never be a possibility? Seems to me most serious home theater setups have seperate audio and visual setups, so theoretically, DVI input into HD capable TVs should be here to stay? But HDCP can't be implemented on DVI right? So anything that inputs DVI should be able to run Blueray/HDdvd regardless of it's HDCP status? Ie: this tv!

DVI is just the video component of HDMI. It is extremely unlikely that the DVI input on this TV would be HDCP compliant.

Damnski!

Is someone able to post a pic of there 37" beast they've picked up from K-Mart...? I'm really finding it hard to find ANY pics of it anywhere on the net! It's like it's camera shy!

Also, what's the best price heard of for the acer AT3705-DTV (http://www.acer.com.au/acer/akc/lcdtv.nsf/Page/RWPD03D834115212A89CA2571CA00167D00?) ? Due to the fact it's DEFINITELY HDCP compliant, it's got my interest piqued.

If anyone has a rough idea of the cheapest 1080p capable tvs out there, I'd be greatly appreciative! (It's KINDA still on-topic...) :blink:

• 1 month later...

Currently on clearance at Kmart for $1049....

There is very little stock around though....

Just bought a second one....

Seriously ?

That is a damn fine price.

Wonder what's coming to replace it ?

Andrew.

Quote - "Now I get a little bit worry about the warranty status of my Pyrod"

KMart is providing a warranty (3yrs indicated in manual) through "United Electrical" 1800 786 231. I rang them before purchasing a $1050 37" Pyrod and the girl in sales confirmed they were the people carrying out the warranty work. Maybe KMart did a deal when they purchased these units from the importer? I also returned the warranty slip to Electronics Australia because it threatens you with no service if the slip is not returned. I attached a note asking if they were dead or alive and to let me know by email, but there was no response, which is usually the case with most Australian firms even when they are not deceased.

For those that paid more for these Pyrods do not be too concerned as nearly all stores I contacted were selling display stock without any accessories. These units had been turned on 6 days a week for the last 9 months. Pyrod was not popular and did not move very fast. I was lucky enough to find a boxed Pyrod in an out-of-the-way Kmart at Clarkson (W.A.). It does not have pixel problems, blobs, bands or colour castes and the picture clarity is good.

I have it set to 1920x1080p off the rgb connector but dvi at this res alludes me. I find the NVidia advanced timing set up a real lucky-dip hockus pockus and I am running a reasonable quality Gforce 7600GS video card. I would appreciate any tips on getting this going. I have not used Power Strip yet to tip it in the right direction. When you enter all the correct settings it acts as if they are acceptable until you hit OK and then it reverts to 1680x1050 which happens to be the resolution of my small LCD panel and often the screen pan and scans. RGB is reasonable but some fonts are chunky especially if you need to turn the brightness down on excessively white forum pages like this one.

I nearly bought a $1999 30" Dell for photography work but am relieved that the Pyrod fills the need. Maybe I can prise the Pyrod label off the front?

I would not recommend it as a TV though as it only seems worthwhile when descent cameras are use in live interviews. That Channel 7 HD loop looks shocking and full of artefacts.

Kev