Pioneer PDP-5000EX

Guest manphisto

Guys,

im new here.

Im in the market for something 46inch-50inch Full HD

I found the Pioneer PDP-5000EX on a site for $1695 inc delivery & 2 year warranty.

i know it has no tuner or speakers, but this price is incredible!!!

do you guys think this is a smart purchase at this moment in time, or can i get better value for the same money???

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys,

im new here.

I found the Pioneer PDP-5000EX on a site for $1695 inc delivery & 2 year warranty.

do you guys think this is a smart purchase at this moment in time, or can i get better value for the same money???

I'm assuming it's a shop floor model or refurb, but its still a good price.

It hasn't got the blacks of the latest Pio panels, as i think it's based on the 6th gen panel, but the processing within it is supposed to be top notch, even when compared to the LX508, which is basically the updated version.

Commercial Pioneers normally come with free ISF calibration, so look into that.

I doubt you'll get a better panel for that money

Bob

Guys,

im new here.

Manphisto,

I would be finding out how many hours are on the panel, as commercial panels are often left on for many hours a day.

Regards,

ValT.

Guest manphisto

Hey thanks alot for the responses guys! i appreciate it.

its actually BRAND NEW!

http://www.oztion.com.au/buy/auction.aspx?...p;type5=&s=

im just trying to suss out if this guy is legitimate.

but thanks for the info.

in any case, despite it not having the rich blacks, considering that its full HD i would assume the picture has the capabilities to be better.

Ultimately in the long run, this is a better option than the one fetching 2700-3000 with that japanese word for black model (ambiguous i know)

i might buy one, throw 1k at a sound system, and voila! instant quality home theatre.....

unless of course you guys think otherwise....you are the experts

Guest manphisto

yeh... my girlfriend is already chasing me with a broomstick for spending my money on home entertainment equiptment instead of a holiday.... how cliche my life is......

Guest manphisto

I think there is only 1 question left in my mind.

is the PDP-508XDA better than the PDP-5000EX.?

if you guys think the 5000 is better, im sold. I just need to speak tot his guy and check legitimacy.

I think there is only 1 question left in my mind.

is the PDP-508XDA better than the PDP-5000EX.?

if you guys think the 5000 is better, im sold. I just need to speak tot his guy and check legitimacy.

I recently bought a brand new 42" Pioneer, last years US model on ebay for less than $600. The guy (based in Canberra) offered 10 of them or so at the same time.

Once the auction was over I received an email that I have to do the payment via Western Union to a bank account in China. Half an hour later I got an email from ebay that the transaction was canceled. Obviously someone from China hijacked an ebay account from someone in Canberra and tried to make some money. Very often, offers that are too good to be true are exactly that.

So just be super careful when you buy the TV and only do pick up or escrow! Note that in the auction you are only covered up to $50 :)

Edit: Look at all the stuff this seller is selling. He only has 2 previous transactions and is now selling tons of stuff for $100000. No way I would buy anything from this seller!

Edited by spacetime

Guest manphisto

yeah, wont commit unless i speak to the guy & check his ABN out. I contacted another person who had asked him a question, and he said he didnt decide to purchase. Yes it is a good price, but is it that unbelievable it could drop that much - it is a few models/years old. Especially ones that start expensive/higher depreciation?

in any case, thankyou for the heads up.

I spent 6 months selling the 5000ex. The black are better on the LX508 but the LX series falls VERY short in the sharpness department. The 5000ex is has the sharpest picture by a country mile! If that seller is legit put me down for one!!!

Edited by Nightbreed

Guest manphisto

yeah, i'll keep you guys posted. I've wanted Pioneer since the start, then decided if i was gonna spend 3K, i would get fuLL HD, and it put the pioneer aside. I was so close to buying a Sony bravia 46inch X series LCD 1080P for 2K today. Then I saw this. Wondering if i made a mistake.....

Guest manphisto

check this out.

The TV comes from Queensland.

in the top right corner of the page it has his ABN, so i did a search and the name came up as ZIGGY MATVE of a suburb in QLD.

so i did a search on facebook, nothing. Then i checked it on the ASIC Website.

this is what i found:

06-315 Brisbane internet services provider convicted

Wednesday 13 September 2006

Mr Ziggy Matve, of Parkinson in Queensland, has pleaded guilty in the Brisbane Magistrates Court to two charges of taking part in the management of a corporation whilst an undischarged bankrupt. The charges were brought by ASIC.

Mr Matve was convicted and fined $3,000 and ordered to pay court costs.

An investigation into Mr Matve found that he was directly involved in the management of Clipper International Pty Ltd (Clipper) and YLS.Net.au Pty Ltd (YLS) while an undischarged bankrupt.

Between January 2005 and September 2005 Mr Matve entered into agreements on behalf of Clipper and YLS to supply a wireless internet product which they failed to deliver, leaving the intended customer out of pocket.

‘Bankrupts are prohibited from managing companies under the law and ASIC will not hesitate to take action against those who show scant regard for their disqualified status’, ASIC’s Deputy Executive Director of Consumer Protection, Ms Delia Rickard said.

This matter was prosecuted by the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions

If this is the same guy, and he is trying to rip people off. IM GOING TO COME DOWN HARD ON HIM FOR WASTING MY TIME.

he will recieve THE WRATH.

yeah, i'll keep you guys posted. I've wanted Pioneer since the start, then decided if i was gonna spend 3K, i would get fuLL HD, and it put the pioneer aside. I was so close to buying a Sony bravia 46inch X series LCD 1080P for 2K today. Then I saw this. Wondering if i made a mistake.....

Hi - if you don't mind me asking where were you going to get a 46" X series from for 2K? I'm interested in one, although I may reconsider if your pioneer seller turns out to be legit.

Guest manphisto

forget about the pioneer. If for some miraculous reason it IS legit, which i highly doubt - i will let you know. But i highly doubt it.

Otherwise, go to: www.graysonline.com.au and sign up.

my company just purchased 6 X 60 inch panasonic plasma's for 3k a pop. I could have bought the sony for $2046 dollars today,.... but no biggie, the supplier has just put up another lot.

heres the direct link - another auction just started.

http://www.graysonline.com.au/catalogue.as...SALE_TYPE=THUMB

check this out.

If this is the same guy, and he is trying to rip people off. IM GOING TO COME DOWN HARD ON HIM FOR WASTING MY TIME.

he will recieve THE WRATH.

Well done I think a bit of detective work may have saved you being SCAMMED big time.

I would also check with Pioneer Australia wonder how he came to be in possession of 15 brand new PDP-5000EX sets.

The old if its too good to be true....

Proceed with extreme caution and keep us informed

P.S. Grays Online are not too hot either watch out for Buyers premium or whatever they call it. Can end more expensive than a Retailer for seconds and rejects.

Extreme caution also required.

Edited by mwd

Guest manphisto

mwd, i dont think he even has them

but ive reported him as suspicious to the auction.

I also advised ASIC that they should purchase one from him. If he does deliver i will purchase from them.

If not, get him!

:lol:

edit: true about the buyers premium... just read it was 12.5% which is nasty.

still, its a $3500 tv for $2300 roughly. its an lcd so no worry about screen life. anything else to be weary of?

Edited by manphisto

Guest manphisto

bobbyf - i saw his response to you.... you think maybe we're being paranoid? i wonder if anyone knows someone in queensland who could go there and check this out?

if theres a customer service department, maybe we can get a phone number

EDIT: it seems these guys make REALLY good Knock-off's of products.

I work in the phone industry and look at how damn real this looks

http://www.oztion.com.au/vshops/item.aspx?itemid=4082440

NOTE-IT IS NOT A NOKIA

Another unhappy customer:

Comment left by firebug

WORST SELLER EVER! THEY ADVERTISED GHD'S CLAIMING THEY WERE THE REAL THING AND THEN 22DAYS LATER I WAS STILL WAITING FOR THEM. BUT WAIT, THEN IT GETS BETTER THEY TURN AROUND AND TELL ME THERE NOT REAL

Edited by manphisto

I think its a scam. Someone asked this question.....

I asked you a question about your layby but have not got any answer at all. Please let me know your layby plan and also if it comes with TV tuner and speakers? Is there a stand?

posted by made2measure at 02-May-2008 21:38

Answer:

Hi yes it is a HDTV and comes with tuner and speakers. As for the layby. I need to find out it is new for us and only us in the tech department work on weekends so i can not answer that one. One of the sales staff will be able to help you on Tuesday morning. best wishes.

This Plasma did not EVER come with a built in tuner and the speakers for this panel were never imported into Australia. Bummer! i was really after one of these :(

Guest manphisto

I have some people checking this out for me.... I think within a week we will know what the deal is.

I went to a few harvey normans/myer/david jonesy type places today and decided the sony 46inch x series was better anyway. Lcd is my pick.

Funny thing is, they all seem to think the current pioneer 50inch is better. true or not?

from the cnet reviews of them - it sounded like the old one was better. Could be because it was the first 1080p tho....

I have some people checking this out for me.... I think within a week we will know what the deal is.

I went to a few harvey normans/myer/david jonesy type places today and decided the sony 46inch x series was better anyway. Lcd is my pick.

Funny thing is, they all seem to think the current pioneer 50inch is better. true or not?

from the cnet reviews of them - it sounded like the old one was better. Could be because it was the first 1080p tho....

There are pros and cons on both models

LX508 has better blacks, tuner and speakers - probably more inputs with it being consumer orientated

5000EX, as Nightbreed has said, is better in the processing department, which is typical for commercial (Pro) versions

Personally, as an LX508 owner, i wouldn't go with a Bravia, but each to their own.

Good luck

Bob

Guest manphisto

Yeah, there is a big price difference when you can get the sony for 2K and the pioneer is 5K (price i can get sony at VS retail pioneer)

so, logically for me the sony is the better option. I know what a good image is -but im not a purist like a lot of you guys.

Its all about the sound for me, im a music maniac.

if money wasnt an issue - and i could swap each tv for eachother depending on which i liked better - i'd start with the pioneer for sure.

but thanks bobby, i appreciate it.