Larger sized LCD TVs

Will we see any LCD screens at 50" and above at decent prices this year?

There is currently an abundance of 32" screens and a good number of 40" and 45" screens.

Only sharp offer a 65" screen .... but for $25k

If we could get 50" LCD screens for below $5000 would be good.

I’m curious why you would wont one over a Plasma.

I didn't say I would buy one - but at least if there were larger sized ones there would be an extra choice over plasma and you could compare them.

Granted LCD is not perfect, nor is plasma.

I probably prefer the brighter, more vibrant colours of the LCD over the plasma - although the plasma has better blacks and probably more natural colours.

However, I do not like plasma for 1 simple reason - BURNIN

And don't start saying that it's a myth because I have seen plenty of sets in shops with burnin including the Pioneer 506HD and the Pana 500A. It may be that these can go away over time, However for my viewing the source material is either 4:3 or 2.35:1 material as I don't want a lot of FTA TV .... so I am absolutely sure I would get burnin of vertical or horizontal lines. When I spend lots of $$$ on a set, I would like to sit back and enjoy it without having to cycle through aspect ratio modes in order to not "keep a static image" on it for long and avoid burnin.

If we are looking at JUST IMAGE QUALITY alone, I won't argue that plasma's image is better for home theatre due to its better blacks .... but image quality alone is not the only deciding factor. LCDs are brighter and more vibrant and look better if there is lots of ambient light coming into the room. They are also lighter, and consumes less power and I think have longer life (or at least takes longer to lose its brightness). Repair costs is also cheaper.

At the moment, the choice is clear - if you are buying a 40" and smaller set you buy a LCD. If you are buying larger sizes you buy plasma or rear projection.

I have seen the 1080p DLP from Toshiba and the LCOS from LG and although look great, I think plasma and LCD still offer a more versatile image (and I am talking about uniform brightness and contrast across the screen). The SXRD from Sony sounds promising though.

However, a flat screen display would be preferable over a big rear projection unit.

So it would be good if there were 50"+ LCD panels to compare and provide more choice for the consumer and at a reasonable cost - below $5000

The 32" ones I have seen, in particular the Sony Bravia and the new Samsungs look excellent and blacks seem much better now than say a few years ago.

If rumours are anything to go by, SED might be the display we're all waiting for - combining the flat screen advantages of plasma/lcd without their inherent problems and offering a picture to rival or better CRT displays

Your response illustrates how different peoples requirements and preferences can be.

Personally, I would not have an LCD at any price, as black levels are just dismal, and completely unacceptable for video and movies in anything other the bright lighting.

Plasma offers reasonable blacks, but resolution on the 60” plus models is inadequate.

The coming 1080p RPTV’s, like the Sony SXRD offer the size, resolution and black levels that I require

Viewing angle is a none issue for me, and screen brightness uniformity is also a non issue in a not to bright viewing environment.

I have no worries about burn in, as I have been using CRT RPTV’s for 6 years, connected to a HTPC, with no burn in problems what so ever.

If you don’t view under bright lighting, modest Contrast settings can be used, and burn in is no longer a problem.

CRT, Plasma and SED (if we ever see it) are all Phosphor based, and subject to burn in if you are careless or stupid.

Having said that, there is no need to be annal about what you display or for how long, provided you are at least a little mindful and careful.

Your response illustrates how different peoples requirements and preferences can be.

Couldn't agree more. That's why when someone asks my opinion for a TV it's so difficult to recommend anything, because their requirements are different. Not only that, their eyes are different. Comparing 2 displays I may think one looks better whereas someone else might think the other.

Personally, I would not have an LCD at any price, as black levels are just dismal, and completely unacceptable for video and movies in anything other the bright lighting.

I find LCD's blacks quite acceptable. Not as good as a top quality plasma like the Pioneer but acceptable. LCD blacks are also relative. In bright scenes they appear very good. But watching a movie with lots of dark scenes like Batman Begins, the detail in those scenes will suffer.

Plasma offers reasonable blacks, but resolution on the 60” plus models is inadequate.

I find the 60" plasmas just a bit too washed out.

The coming 1080p RPTV’s, like the Sony SXRD offer the size, resolution and black levels that I require

Viewing angle is a none issue for me, and screen brightness uniformity is also a non issue in a not to bright viewing environment.

For me, viewing angle, screen brightness/contrast uniformity are all important issues. Black levels are also important, but it's not the be all and end all attribute for me. I find plasma blacks great, and lcd blacks quite acceptable (the most recent displays anyway).

I'd also be interested in seeing the Sony SXRD's - however you can bet they will be higher priced than the competition - being a Sony. Take the Bravias for example. The new Samsungs and just about any other brand's 32" model can be had for $2.5k or less, yet the Sony's 32" Bravia is $1k more. While they are excellent displays - I don't believe they are $1k better displays than the competition.

I am very confident that the SXRD Sony will be superior to the Toshi DLP or LG LCoS., and if its as good as expected, Sony can name there price, I’m up.

I was prepared to spend $20k, so anything Sony want to charge will be CHEAP.

I have been using a 6th gen Pana Hi def (1 model before the first Viera)

as my computer monitor for almost 2 years now and have never ever seen burn in.

I have NO IDEA how you could get burn in unless you paused something really bright on the screen

for a few days.

Was worried for the first week or so but soon realised there was nothing to worry about.

Can't really comment on LG's etc though.

But my PANA is the bomb.

Oh but the Blacks in a dark room on my SONY Grand Wega 42 are dismal compared to Plasma.

Couldn't have a plasma in that room though. Too much sun during the day.