JVC HDZ70RX5 70" LCOS Rear Projection TV

No Harvey might not .. but these stores are individually franchised .. who knows what shinannigans go on ?

Has an individual franchisee never gone bust ? ... I don't know and don't want to find out the hard way.

The store front means nothing .. that can still be there but with a different company pulling the strings .. happens all the time.

Well, the HN near me is currently doubling their floor space with construction going on next door, so Id say their in good shape.

And guess who bought Megamart Star, yep old HN. :blink:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the HN near me is currently doubling their floor space with construction going on next door, so Id say their in good shape.

And guess who bought Megamart Star, yep old HN. :P

Hope the Megamart credit note holders were looked after.

Told wifie I was thinking of returning the 70" .....

I don't think I am getting lucky tonight.

What a look :blink:

Edited by fireant2

Update:

JVC apparently are NOT offering to take back the set.

What the W.A. state manager apparently "ment" was that I should take it back to HN.

Well of course HN are now choking and mulling it over.

More to follow.

Small claims tribunal looms I think. :blink:

Update:

What the W.A. state manager apparently "ment" was that I should take it back to HN.

More to follow.

How long have you had it for?

Don't most retailers have a 7 day return policy?

Well except JB Hifi - they will only give credits - NO REFUNDS

Update:

More to follow.

Id say HN wont have any of it, if its defective its JVC's problem, if it isnt deemed defective, HN will wash their hands of it.

So is the colour problem really aggrivating?

They havent got my money yet anyway, LG still has it until I ring tomorrow and get the credit statement.

I also have the original receipt incase.

Stardrifter: I'll let you know what the HN guy says tomorrow.

So what was the word from HN?

I haven't heard from LG as yet about the replacement. The Impule Electronics guy called on Monday and said that there's no need to look at the MW60 (probably sick of dealing with them) and said he'll fax my details to LG right away for a replacement model.

Am I meant to get a call from LG at all confirming this?

I am going to have to call them anyway though to ask for credit/refund instead - but it will be good if they call me as then I will be speaking directly to the person handling my case.

So what was the word from HN?

I haven't heard from LG as yet about the replacement. The Impule Electronics guy called on Monday and said that there's no need to look at the MW60 (probably sick of dealing with them) and said he'll fax my details to LG right away for a replacement model.

Am I meant to get a call from LG at all confirming this?

I am going to have to call them anyway though to ask for credit/refund instead - but it will be good if they call me as then I will be speaking directly to the person handling my case.

The HN dude never rang... If he doesnt call me tomorrow, I will literally cost him his cut of $8000.

You'll have to ring LG, they wont ring you anytime soon.

that's a load of CRAP! They obviously don't like you :blink:

They refund under the right conditions, same as most other retailers and well within the law. I have heard HN are the most difficult in this regard.

Got it last friday .... HN are doing a bit of blustering I think ... we shall see.

Bronx ...

Colour is GREAT on some programs .. I mean really really great .. best I have seen .. but on others its over saturated...

I reckon it's the programs themselves and how they were shot ... I think this TV just shows em up. (my theory only)

If I could only turn down the colour on some programs/DVDs it would be my perfect TV.

Is this a "feature" of all LCOS panels ? can't you turn down the colour on any of them ffs ?

I doubt very much it is the 1080p model - most likely it is the one fireant has - the 1280x720 one.

The sales goons never know - but what gets to me is that instead of saying "I don't know" they make up BS which is very bad to the non-technical shoppers.

And I agree that the JVC does not look that good - mainly because 70" is too big and needs more pixels. But also I don't like the colour saturation.

Also agree on the Sony 3LCD looking good and am thinking about getting that one. Though it is widely known that LCD produce poor blacks, I found the blacks on the Sony to be very good. The colour reproduction and clarity of the image is also excellent - probably because of the engine it uses is very good.

In my research, I believe that it is better judged by a particular model rather than the type of display.

LCOS is meant to be superior to LCD but the Sony consistently displays a better image.

I doubt very much it is the 1080p model - most likely it is the one fireant has - the 1280x720 one.

The sales goons never know - but what gets to me is that instead of saying "I don't know" they make up BS which is very bad to the non-technical shoppers.

And I agree that the JVC does not look that good - mainly because 70" is too big and needs more pixels. But also I don't like the colour saturation.

Also agree on the Sony 3LCD looking good and am thinking about getting that one. Though it is widely known that LCD produce poor blacks, I found the blacks on the Sony to be very good. The colour reproduction and clarity of the image is also excellent - probably because of the engine it uses is very good.

In my research, I believe that it is better judged by a particular model rather than the type of display.

LCOS is meant to be superior to LCD but the Sony consistently displays a better image.

Are no digital inputs an issue for you Star?

Owen, assuming the SXRD doesn't come with a digital tuner, which STB would you be considering? I would want an HD PVR I think, but choices there seem very limited.

Yes I do use a HTPC, and don’t need a STB.

I have a Digital TV card in the PC but never use it, as I cant be bothered with free to air TV connent.

Don’t worry about a PVR-STB until after you purchased a new TV, and that could be some time.

A lot can change in a few months.

Are no digital inputs an issue for you Star?

Not an issue for me.

Most likely I'll just be using the same setup as I have now.

DGTEC STB via RGB or component

DVD via component (I don't have a HD DVD player with HDMI and all that)

sattelite decoder via Composite/S-Video (those are the only ones it has)

However, I have emailed Sony stating that since they have recently released a new model of the 42" and 50" with HDMI inputs what about the 60" .... their answer is that there will be one next year but they have no idea on ETA.

I have to disagree ... the 70" and pixals are the best I have seen, on "some" signals.

Plug a Lord of the rings dvd in on component .. it's spot on IMHO .....

Other DVD's like Nemo are lollypops.

I have to disagree ... the 70" and pixals are the best I have seen, on "some" signals.

Plug a Lord of the rings dvd in on component .. it's spot on IMHO .....

Other DVD's like Nemo are lollypops.

It depends how far back you're sitting with that 70", and what resolution the material is.

At a distance of just 2.5m in my lounge, theres no way a 70" screen could compete with a smaller 50" when viewing SD or upscaled SD.

I probably sit about 3.5m so wouldn't really see the pixels on a 70".

However I feel that a 60" is the ideal size as it most definitely will look better than a 70" at 1280x720.

Now if the 70" was 1920x1080 then that's a different story.

However, I feel that the colour saturation is the main thing that turns me off this panel.

Less than perfect blacks I can put up with - though I would definitely want better blacks than our MW60 as they are crap - but colour reproduction and uniformity I think is more important.

The Sony 60" Grand WEGA I find has very good blacks - although nothing compared to the PIO 506HD plasma - and excellent colour reproduction and image clarity.

I can't decide between the Sony or the Pioneer plasma.

I probably sit about 3.5m so wouldn't really see the pixels on a 70".

However I feel that a 60" is the ideal size as it most definitely will look better than a 70" at 1280x720.

Now if the 70" was 1920x1080 then that's a different story.

However, I feel that the colour saturation is the main thing that turns me off this panel.

Less than perfect blacks I can put up with - though I would definitely want better blacks than our MW60 as they are crap - but colour reproduction and uniformity I think is more important.

The Sony 60" Grand WEGA I find has very good blacks - although nothing compared to the PIO 506HD plasma - and excellent colour reproduction and image clarity.

I can't decide between the Sony or the Pioneer plasma.

Have you compared the Pio and Wega in store?

It depends how far back you're sitting with that 70", and what resolution the material is.

At a distance of just 2.5m in my lounge, theres no way a 70" screen could compete with a smaller 50" when viewing SD or upscaled SD.

I suppose its whats important to you.

I like being "in" the movie .. so I like big screens .. resolution is secondary. Important but secondary. Otherwise I would have a "small" plasma.

Have you compared the Pio and Wega in store?

No need to compare.

Obviously the plasma is a better picture compared to the Wega 3LCD RPTV - but out of all the RPTV's I think the Wega is the best in picture quality and very good blacks.

I think I posted earlier about the pros and cons:

But the reason I can't decide:

Pio plasma:

- Better overall picture quality, better blacks, uniform colours, better angles, thin sexy bezel

BUT

- 10" less, possible burn-in of 4:3 vertical bars.

Sony WEGA 60" 3LCD RPTV

- 10" bigger, no burn-in problems (supposedly)

BUT

- PQ not as good as plasma, not "true" blacks, big heavy casing

If I go for the plasma I think I can put up with the 10" less size IF there is no problem of burn-in.

I read in another thread someone commented that after the initial run-in period watching everything in 16:9 stretched mode and then after that there is no problem of burn-in.

If only I could have confirmation of whether this is true...........

No need to compare.

Obviously the plasma is a better picture compared to the Wega 3LCD RPTV - but out of all the RPTV's I think the Wega is the best in picture quality and very good blacks.

I think I posted earlier about the pros and cons:

But the reason I can't decide:

Pio plasma:

- Better overall picture quality, better blacks, uniform colours, better angles, thin sexy bezel

BUT

- 10" less, possible burn-in of 4:3 vertical bars.

Sony WEGA 60" 3LCD RPTV

- 10" bigger, no burn-in problems (supposedly)

BUT

- PQ not as good as plasma, not "true" blacks, big heavy casing

If I go for the plasma I think I can put up with the 10" less size IF there is no problem of burn-in.

I read in another thread someone commented that after the initial run-in period watching everything in 16:9 stretched mode and then after that there is no problem of burn-in.

If only I could have confirmation of whether this is true...........

Well, after the MW60 image retention, Id imagine the Wega would have the exact same issue. Its just a fact of LCD tech.

On the subject of size versus PQ, when I first bought the MW60, size was more imortant to me. But after seeing just how much blacks and SDE effect the PQ, I've had to turn the other way.

I will enjoy the day when I can buy a 70" screen with no SDE, deep blacks and high resolution.

Picked up an LG brochure from our local Betta electrical store today- the new LG LCOS 71" RPTV is model number 71SA1D- is 1920X1080 resolution. Apparently Betta electrical in Albury have one on order. Do a net search and check it out. Those of you who are in the know, give us your opinion.

Well, after the MW60 image retention, Id imagine the Wega would have the exact same issue. Its just a fact of LCD tech.

Isn't LCD tech supposed to have no burn-in problems?

On the subject of size versus PQ, when I first bought the MW60, size was more imortant to me. But after seeing just how much blacks and SDE effect the PQ, I've had to turn the other way.

Yes, I am also thinking the same thing as you. I have not enjoyed watching DVDs as much as I thought I would've when I bought the MW60 due to the less than desirable colours and blacks. I had not realized just how important black reproduction is and how it can affect the picture.

That's why I am thinking of getting a plasma instead of a RPTV - even though it is a 10" sacrifice. There is always going to be some problem with a RPTV - the ones I have seen anyway - be it LCOS, DLP or LCD ... and these include poor blacks, SDE, SSE, colour uniformity, brightness/contrast uniformity, viewing angle etc.

If I get a plasma it would be out of the Pio 506HD or the Panasonic 500A - the Pana might be better value since I think they can be had for 1k less than the Pio.

However, the only thing I am worried about is mainly the burn-in issue.

I will enjoy the day when I can buy a 70" screen with no SDE, deep blacks and high resolution.

They are available today - at the same cost of a brand new car.

Isn't LCD tech supposed to have no burn-in problems?

Yes, I am also thinking the same thing as you. I have not enjoyed watching DVDs as much as I thought I would've when I bought the MW60 due to the less than desirable colours and blacks. I had not realized just how important black reproduction is and how it can affect the picture.

That's why I am thinking of getting a plasma instead of a RPTV - even though it is a 10" sacrifice. There is always going to be some problem with a RPTV - the ones I have seen anyway - be it LCOS, DLP or LCD ... and these include poor blacks, SDE, SSE, colour uniformity, brightness/contrast uniformity, viewing angle etc.

If I get a plasma it would be out of the Pio 506HD or the Panasonic 500A - the Pana might be better value since I think they can be had for 1k less than the Pio.

However, the only thing I am worried about is mainly the burn-in issue.

They are available today - at the same cost of a brand new car.

LCD doesnt have burn in issues as such, it has image retention. Given time, it will fade away, as it has on my MW60. Plasma's have also gotten to this point, with the ability to set the screen white in the menu in order to 'wipe' it clean if anything happens.