Letterman In Now In Hd

Although the 1's and 0's are the same, the bandwidth for sending the different signals is different. Remember that broadcast SD is around 6-7Mb/s while broadcast HD (including 720p, but rightly ignoring 576p) is around 9-15Mb/s.

Going back to this briefly..

I dont see how the size of the bandwidth is going to make any difference - it's not as if the program is coming straight across from the USA into our loungerooms.. Presumably 10 is recording it and then broadcasting it later, so they would hardly have to worry about the data coming over quick enough to be viewed in realtime?

(unless I am missing something ?)

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh - Are you talking about Telstra?, Hmm Kent st or the other 'facility' down on Broadway?

Eitherway, You need to get with the times. No one uses them any more :D

So you must be talking about Globecast :blink:

But even so, with an ASI stream - SD 1's & 0's are are the same as HD 1's & 0's...so, pray tell - how can you tell, by looking at a stream (even with a Stream Analyser) - or at the equipment (fibres, cables, cards, DA's etc) just exactly whats on it?

Please Mr/Ms CT - can you please explain this to me - as I am most interested in learning about this.

You would need alot of compression to get HD via fibre at the moment from overseas to the point of being useless. What TEN is screening is not compressed to the extent of being noticebale. What is being sourced is HD at around 40 to 50 Mbits, which would cost a zillion to pipe in from LA. Will ask around my circle of industry people on how TEN is getting this in, as I would like to know myself. What TEN is doing is putting Nein to shame for sure, which is why TEN is making an effort (for now).

Hi Guys

Caught your thread yeaterday and decided to join up to answer your question. Without giving too much away about myself or TEN's operations..

TEN bring in Letterman each day off a network feed in HD in an ASI stream. It chews up their whole 45meg pipe which at other times is used as a MUX. The OC and a couple of others are also done this way but obviously not as network feeds (ie no station watermark)

This is whats happening in Sydney at this moment anyway. I cannot speak about whats happened in the last couple of weeks or for other affiliates around the country.

I'm a big Letterman fan and thank them for showing it in the true widescreen HD glory!

Cheers :blink:

Edited by The Shadow

ASI stream how is that physically connected to the USA. They do have the CBS logo in Letterman

as do they have the CBS news at 4am on Ten. Is it internet2?

Thay have a lease on a fibre (or part there of) to the states. Not sure where the actual router is but probably LA. Its not internet2.

As mentioned in a previous post...it goes from TEN, through "a building" in the Sydney CBD and out to the wide blue ocean to the US. The same way the majority of todays stations get their immediate programming. And yes the CBS news comes the exact same way...this is also a network feed (ie live which is why you see the waterwark) but this would only be SD and take up only about 8meg.

Edited by The Shadow

OT but not worth another thread - will the Golden Globes next Tuesday be in HD on Ten?

If they can do letterman on the same day in HD, I see no reason why they can't do the golden globes also, assuming they are broadcast in HD and there is no restriction on it (ie, they charge extra for the HD version).

Internet2 is a university research network that supposedly replace current internet that I think

is connected to Australia too that is capable of sending HDTV in real time to the end user. Typical

research has musicians jamming together with high quality sound in real time around the globe.

It does exist saw it on BBC Click Online TV show once a couple of years ago.

Yes, it is a research network (well, it's a consortium of universities and companies actually, the actual network is the Abilene network).

Abilene is only in the US. However, it does peer with AARNet (Australia's Academic and Research Network). AARNet has a nice link to Abilene.

However, again, it isn't something that is used by anyone, including television stations. I doubt very much that CBS is using it in any capacity.

Just getting back on topic a little, am I the only one that is failing to see what the fuss is about with Letterman?

I mean, the PQ is awesome, agreed, but the show....

The bald dude in the band is just weird and the 'patter' between the 2 is sometimes so forced. Talk about loving themselves. 2 guests, which are quite often just total mutual back slap sessions?

How much can you milk a "New York smells" tag, FFS? And we won't even begin to talk about the blatant cross promotions!

Sigh, I obviously just don't get it! Give me Denton on Enough Rope, or Parkinson any day. Am I a boring old fart? Probably.

Yup, just my view and it's probably not worth much :blink:

Simon....

I mean, the PQ is awesome, agreed, but the show....

But the Presidential speeches segment are worth the price of admission alone :blink:

Agreed.. the HD PQ is awesome

The Shadow..Thanks for dropping in with that info re feed.

Sigh, I obviously just don't get it! Give me Denton on Enough Rope, or Parkinson any day. Am I a boring old fart? Probably.

i'm young, i "get" all the jokes, but i hardly crack a smile during the show. agreed the PQ is great, but i'll only ever watch letterman for the guests, of which at around 1/week i am interested in. that and the presidential speech segments

give me jay leno or conan, much more talented.

i'm young, i "get" all the jokes, but i hardly crack a smile during the show. agreed the PQ is great, but i'll only ever watch letterman for the guests, of which at around 1/week i am interested in. that and the presidential speech segments

give me jay leno or conan, much more talented.

Agreed, Conan would have to be the funniest talk show around at the moment, where do you think Rove got all his jokes from.. I'd love to see Conan in HD over here. But Dave is still pretty cool.

Agreed, Conan would have to be the funniest talk show around at the moment, where do you think Rove got all his jokes from.. I'd love to see Conan in HD over here. But Dave is still pretty cool.

Where did Rove get his jokes from? Well for his odd facial expressions and timing try Craig Ferguson! :blink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyuDAzzKnz8

P.S: It's great that David Letterman is now up-to-date and in HD widescreen. Well done TEN !! :D

Wonder how Maddonna will go tomorrow's show probably shown Monday early hours she is Britney's pal. I hope she sings instead of uncrosses her legs. :blink: She's probably desperate for free publicity.

I'm surprised no one picked up my mistake Letterman is on 12.30am Early Hours this Saturday morning

obviously Madonna did nothing controversial or it'd be all over the news.