Soniq 32" LCD @ JB HIFI (8ms Resp.)

Ohh and I haven't noticed any smearing as reported on the BigW AWA 32" LCD, maybe due to the 8ms rather than the 16ms on the AWA... You can check that for yourself though I guess in store...

I don't have any smearing on my 32" AWA LCD - it's pin sharp. I believe it was the Acer LCD owners that were complaining of smearing. The AWA is not perfect, but it's a bloody nice TV.......had mine for over 4 months with no regrets.

Oh....and the AWA does display 1080i via DVI. :blink:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh....and the AWA does display 1080i via DVI. :P

LOL but the AWA is not 1960x1080 either so all it is doing is scaling down to 720p, just like my STB is, so effectively it is the same, except you may feel better about it.... LOL :blink:

As for smearing, I am glad yours doesn't smear when panning but I have heard other AWA owners complain about this...

Hi, I seen one of those 42" Soniq plasmas in JB Hi Fi. Tempted to buy it then and there. I was put off by the surrounding displays and the difference in clarity. I didn't see the 32" lcd Soniq?!?!. . I want to get one for my PC. I've been reading up on those cheap Tevion 27" and from what I can gather, they're not too good.

Just wondering if anyone has tested one of these Soniq 32" with PC? DVI in?

Ive been looking into buying a new 81cm LCD tv and from my findings,,ive looked at the AWA now at bigW for 1779 or something like that,the soniq at JB ,the Trio at trickydickys for 1788 and also the Acer AT3271w also at DSE. IMO,the Acer leaves the others for dead picture quality wise and also general asthetics.and atm dse has them for $1899 with a 5 year warranty.. picture seems to be much clearer that the others from what ive seen of them.and also response time (although only rated at 12ms) seems to be leaps and bounds ahead in fast moving action scenes,i have seen a previous acer 66cm model and its was very different,,,66cm being much worse.the acer has dvi,4 av's including svideo and rca and 3 component in's! i have decided to go for the acer.

anyway, just my 2c.

FAT

Ive been looking into buying a new 81cm LCD tv and  from my findings,,ive looked at the AWA now at bigW for 1779 or something like that,the soniq at JB ,the Trio at trickydickys for 1788 and also the Acer AT3271w also at DSE. IMO,the Acer leaves the others for dead picture quality wise and also general asthetics.and atm dse has them for $1899 with a 5 year warranty.. picture seems to be much clearer that the others from what ive seen of them.and also response time (although only rated at 12ms) seems to be leaps and bounds ahead in fast moving action scenes,i have seen a previous acer 66cm model and its was very different,,,66cm being much worse.the acer has dvi,4 av's including svideo and rca and 3 component in's! i have decided to go for the acer.

anyway, just my 2c.

FAT

search this forum on the ACERs. Not a good bet.

The panel is actually a Samsung unit. But I still can't work out why the supplier ships it with 2 remote controls that are identcal!

Two the same? Rather odd although maybe handy when you sit down with a dinner plate on your lap only to discover the remote is under the cushion on the other couch. Might also be handy (and encouraging to know) when like my old TV and VCR remotes, after 5 years some labels rub off.

My Humax 42" plasma ships with two remotes. The main one a typical long unit with slide cover over the teletext, etc, buttons. The second is a handy little teardrop shaped unit with minimal buttons, none of which let rugrats or HT novices into any serious resets or presets (eg: channel scans). I find it more convenient than the bigger one for most viewing.

• 3 weeks later...

hi

I just got a Soniq 81cm LCD... just got a few questions

1. It has 2 component input.. but I find that only one of them is HD enabled.. AV1 is not, when I plug a HD source in, the picture is distorted (Yes, I have changed the setting in the menu to enable component); and on the other hand, AV2 is HD only and cannot display any non HD signals.

2. The native resolution is 1280*1024, this means that when viewing 720p signals, the LCD would have to scale up the resolution, wouldnt that make the display not as clear as the native resolution (like the other LCD monitors)?

Hi again

just wondering whether anyone who has a soniq 81cm can help me out.

I am trying to use my computer on the monitor, with the latest ati video driver... i cant seem to get any resolution higher than 1024*768... i have a feeling that this monitor's resolution is not what it seems, can anyone tell me whether u can get 1280*1024 or any other resolution higher than 1024*768?

• 2 weeks later...

Just for the record guys there seems to be some confusion.....if your TV is only capable of displaying 1280x1024 then it is not capable of displaying 1080i, no matter what cables you use. Which is why people have been saying they can't get 1080i working on DVI. You need a TV that supports 1920x1080 res to get 1080i.

By the way, my friend got the Soniq 32" LCD from JB HI-FI at $1528 after some haggling.

Ok so this is going to sound dumb, but for us non-infomed plebs out there, Is this SOniq 32" LCD panel a good buy and will work as a TV with a standard definition STB (sorry but the inputs you've been talking about are just confusing me).

I have a grundig 100mhz tv at the moment with a SD STB and am looking for something not too pricey and with equal picture quality...should I just give up now or keep saving my pennies?

help :blink:

I've also recently purchased the soniq 32 inch panel. However i'm having an issue with my panasonic dvd player/recorder...

The dvd unit is set to PAL progressive and connected to AVR2 via component, but when i try to watch a disc the screen goes blank as if there is no signal. I can see the dvd's set-up menus, view analogue tv using the pana's tuner and view pass-through signal (eg fox digital) so i'm quite sure it is set up correctly. Any ideas? Any suggestions appreciated.

I have been able to view discs via s-video via AVR1.

Just for the record guys there seems to be some confusion.....if your TV is only capable of displaying 1280x1024 then it is not capable of displaying 1080i, no matter what cables you use. Which is why people have been saying they can't get 1080i working on DVI. You need a TV that supports 1920x1080 res to get 1080i.

By the way, my friend got the Soniq 32" LCD from JB HI-FI at $1528 after some haggling.

I am talking about computer signals, when you plug a computer to this LCD TV, its native resolution is 1024*768, not 1280*1024.

I recently made a post in another thread accidentally (it was talking abt the Soniq plasma, I thought it was talking abt the LCD), here is the link:

quick thoughts

Good thing I returned it, since your frined got it for over $200 cheaper than what I paid for it! Good work!

I've also recently purchased the soniq 32 inch panel. However i'm having an issue with my panasonic dvd player/recorder...

The dvd unit is set to PAL progressive and connected to AVR2 via component, but when i try to watch a disc the screen goes blank as if there is no signal. I can see the dvd's set-up menus, view analogue tv using the pana's tuner and view pass-through signal (eg fox digital) so i'm quite sure it is set up correctly. Any ideas? Any suggestions appreciated.

I have been able to view discs via s-video via AVR1.

Yes I had a prob with that too b4 I returned my TV, but only for one DVD only, all the rest worked ok, I am not sure why, but perhaps that DVD uses different resolution which results in the DVD player outputing 576p which the LCD TV will not be able to accept?

Does it happen to all your dvd? If so, your Dvd player may be outputting 576p instead of 480p.. which means you may need to change your dvd player..

Not sure whether I am correct or not, but this is what I think. If I am not correct, please correct me.

I saw one of these at JB HiFi in Castle Hill the other day (whilst hunting for the mytical 1920x1080 Teac at the nearby Good Guys).

Either it was set up very badly in relation to its adjacent screens or the one I looked at was crap!

It was between a couple of LG and a Phillips and the PQ was so much less, I'm still wondering if maybe they ran out of component inputs and shoved on a composite feed.

The program information looked like it was sourced from a VCR.

There's enough posting on the board to suggest that a lot of folk quite like the PQ from this device so maybe I was looking at a once-off problem.

:blink:

dcm

Good thing I returned it, since your frined got it for over $200 cheaper than what I paid for it! Good work!

After some snooping around, I see that my friend got a great bargain since I haven't seen any place that sells a 8ms 32" LCD TV for anywhere close to $1528. I'm contemplating about whether I should see if the salesperson will sell me one too at that price even though the sale is over.

Regarding the mytical 1920x1080i 32"Teac LCD, it is indeed mytical. I spoke to the HiSense rep in JB HiFi just now. He said the native resolution is as in the website ie 13xx/7xx pixels. The screen is by LG and made in China. Warranty is 3 years. Its the one with the speakers at the bottom. Selling for under $2300.

:blink: Yes, I really did spell it "mytical".

On the subject of "mytical" features on the TEAC, you can add the advertised "built-in digital tuner" to the list. It doesn't have that either - only an analog one. I finally found one at the Good Guys in Chatswood and had a play.

That's a shame - I might just have bought one if it did. I already have a DVB800 driving the projector and my ageing 68cm but the amount of belly-aching it would stop from my family to have only one thing to switch on to watch the news would have easily been worth the extra few hundred dollars.

dcm

Guest coolake

I bought the soniq 32" a few weeks ago and have been quite happy with it.

At the moment I am using it as a pc moniter. I have tried to hook up the dvi from the computer to the screen but i can't get it to work. When I find the manual I'll post exactly what it doesent support on the graphics card. I have had no problems in running my desktop and most programs in 1280*1024 and 1024*768 resolutions. But I am having a few problems in getting some games to run in the 1280*1024 resolution, I'm not sure why.