Best price Topfield TF5000PVR

These units tended to only be in stores if you asked for them to be ordered in. I suspect the Topfield store is now the only place you'll find one. Possibly post a 'wanted to buy' in the Topfield forum as you might catch someone wanting to upgrade to a HD model and happy to sell.

Personally I'd recommend getting a 5000 and an ICEBox2 which provides better stability and TAP compatibility. Total cost $600 (includes 6 months ICE subscription) or $630 (includes 12 months ICE subscription)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Hi Mate,,

thanks for your advice,, im thinking thats probably the way to go,,,just one other thing,,,does this include the MP??

Cheers

FAT

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what 'this' you're referring to? You can buy an MP on the Topfield site - just add $100 to the figures above.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Hi peter.

what i was refering to was your suggestion to buy a 5000(as opposed to the 6000) and an ICEbox2 ,,i think this is what ill do,,but my question was ,,as far as TAP compatabilitys ,stabilty etc,,does that go for the MP also , does the MP have any downsides/cons or is it identical in opertion/stability etc??

REgards

FAT

1 or two TAPs can have an odd quirk. The main ones have a 'MP mode' if needs be. If the 5000 is 100% TAP compatible the MP is like 98%. So no real issue going for either - for me its just if the extra $ is worth it for the different sized case.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

1 or two TAPs can have an odd quirk. The main ones have a 'MP mode' if needs be. If the 5000 is 100% TAP compatible the MP is like 98%. So no real issue going for either - for me its just if the extra $ is worth it for the different sized case.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Thanks again mate,,

Just ordered my icebox2 online and will now make the decision about the MP or not :-)

will probably go the silver MP,,prefer the remote over the standard 5000 remote.

CHEERS

FAT

• 3 months later...

• 1 month later...
bummer - got a little confused - thought the black panther was the 160gb version, not the masterpiece...

anyhoo - still happy: Black Panther (love the remote - much better than my old 5000, and the colour) and Sony DVD player for 249 from myer

:lol: Finally found someone else that likes the BP remote better than the pointy ended one that comes with the 5000 and 4400 PVRs! :rolleyes:

I reckon it sits better in the hand and love the sharp edges for scratching my back. :blink:

I'm sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere. I'm not very good with search.

Has anyone had any unpleasant experiences with the ebay TF5000's ?

I'm thinking seriously about getting a topfield. The USB and TAP's are appealing, but I don't need big harddrive or HD, so I assume a black panther or silver 5000 is the go. The $200 - 270 plus shipping on ebay is pretty appealing...but I might be digging myself a hole.

Thoughts appreciated.

Haven't seen any ebay issues specific to Topfield. Just your general eBay "risks" when buying anything. Note that some units will be 'reconditioned' and others will be new. Should be noted as such though.

As mentioned up higher try ringing David Jones, Strathfield, etc. as they might have even cheaper units in stock.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Haven't seen any ebay issues specific to Topfield. Just your general eBay "risks" when buying anything. Note that some units will be 'reconditioned' and others will be new. Should be noted as such though.

As mentioned up higher try ringing David Jones, Strathfield, etc. as they might have even cheaper units in stock.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Thank you for the reply. I buy a lot on ebay and know about the general stuff like reworks. Thank you for your concern. I'll call around the retailers when I have an opportunity.

I have another question. I'm sure this has been asked before, but as I said I've looked and can't find. I've actually spent hours reading this forum and it's been tremendously helpful.

My girlfriend has a digicrystal pvr9000. I wasn't interested in pvr's until she bought that. Later we bought then returned a cheaper pvr/dvdr. Both of us had big problems with them. One missing feature we were surprised at was this:

When recording one program, on the digicrystal you can watch a previously recorded program. This isn't timeslip, it's watch what you recorded at say 12 noon at 7 pm while the machine records something else. I have assumed the 5000 allows this but I must check. Also have most of the earlier problems been sorted now ? the occasional freezing, component out etc ? I couldn't find any recent discussion of them.

Again thank you for your help.

When recording one program, on the digicrystal you can watch a previously recorded program. This isn't timeslip, it's watch what you recorded at say 12 noon at 7 pm while the machine records something else. I have assumed the 5000 allows this but I must check. Also have most of the earlier problems been sorted now ? the occasional freezing, component out etc ? I couldn't find any recent discussion of them.

Again thank you for your help.

A Topfield PVR is a TRUE TWIN TUNER PVR :excl:

You can watch anything you have on the HDD whilst recording two different channels at the same time. B)

Re the freezing problems you mention. The reason you can't find any recent discussions on them as it is not a problem with the Firmware available these days. :D

A Topfield PVR is a TRUE TWIN TUNER PVR :excl:

You can watch anything you have on the HDD whilst recording two different channels at the same time. B)

Re the freezing problems you mention. The reason you can't find any recent discussions on them as it is not a problem with the Firmware available these days. :D

Thank you for the reply.

The other unit was a true twin tuner, but a cheapie. You could record two programs simultaneously as I recall, and time slip one, or watch another program live while recording but for some mad reason they offered no facility to watch previously recorded programs while recording. Bizarre. I know the topfield is a TTT, I've read many threads here on it and others and it is those which convinced me to go with the topfield. I have tried to do my homework before I started bothering people with my silly questions, and I appreciate you patience and help.

Glad the glitches have been ironed out. I know everyone is thinking of HD now, but I don't watch the commercial channels that much so I'm not sure I can be bothered with the extra cost/hassle. Picture quality is a non issue, it would only be for the extra content and I can use my laptop and HD USB tuner if it becomes an issue.

Again thank you for your trouble.

$265 on eBay - TF5000PVRt Masterpiece

Dick Smith Powerhouse at Springwood, Qld, has several silver 5000 Masterpieces for $291, brand new still in box (plus they have a 'demo' one they're taking offers on). The black version of the same thing is on the shelf next to them for $391. Yeah I asked why, nope, they couldn't tell me.

So I took the silver one :rolleyes:

You even get a 128meg Topfield branded pen drive thrown in... wootie.

Slightly off-topic, the same store has some big markdowns on Grundig and LG high def PVRs too.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm trying to find a retailer in Adelaide for the 5000 Model..No one seems to have any stock! I've tried Harvey Norman, Good Guys and Strathfield.

Is online the only way now?

Thanks

I know someone who just bought a brand new Black Panther SD Topfield with warranty from one of the Sydney Sellers on eBay and from all reports she is very happy with it. It was about $233 delivered to Melb. B)

(Sorry I can't remember which of the two major sellers on eBay that she purchased from) :unsure:

http://search.ebay.com.au/search/search.dl...&category0=