Audio and Transmission

I decided to checkout Ch90 nines HD channel when Mclouds Daughters was on as it's suppose to be 5.1 ch sound. I set my Yamaha RX620 to movie Adventure mode to pickup 5.1 audio and my speakers set to subwoofer only so that it is completely separate from the main speakers. I couldn't detect any sound to the woofer as it lights up when low bass it detected. So that means CH 90 is not putting out 5.1ch sound at least not to the Central Coast.

Anyone else notice this?

Bugger just noticed the small print in tv guide ..which reads... Dolby Digital 5.1 sound

(S) - available in Sydney only

Question is WHY?

Big AL

I decided to checkout Ch90 nines HD channel when Mclouds Daughters was on as it's suppose to be 5.1 ch sound. I set my Yamaha RX620 to movie Adventure mode to pickup 5.1 audio and my speakers set to subwoofer only so that it is completely separate from the main speakers.  I couldn't detect any sound to the woofer as it lights up when low bass it detected. So that means CH 90 is not putting out 5.1ch sound at least not to the Central Coast.

Anyone else notice this?

Bugger just noticed the small print in tv guide ..which reads... Dolby Digital 5.1 sound

Question is WHY?

Big AL

McLeod's Daughters is 5.1 in Perth.

I decided to checkout Ch90 nines HD channel when Mclouds Daughters was on as it's suppose to be 5.1 ch sound. I set my Yamaha RX620 to movie Adventure mode to pickup 5.1 audio and my speakers set to subwoofer only so that it is completely separate from the main speakers.  I couldn't detect any sound to the woofer as it lights up when low bass it detected. So that means CH 90 is not putting out 5.1ch sound at least not to the Central Coast.

Anyone else notice this?

Question is WHY?

Big AL

Check the Ch. 90 HD demo loop. Its in 5.1 and some times the Sub gets audio. McLods D. is a very bad 5.1 mix, so it may be that there was not any Sub audio.

Dos not your Amp indicate what it is decoding?

Anyone else notice this?

Question is WHY?

Big AL

Check the Ch. 90 HD demo loop. Its in 5.1 and some times the Sub gets audio. McLods D. is a very bad 5.1 mix, so it may be that there was not any Sub audio.

Dos not your Amp indicate what it is decoding?

My Yamaha RX620 amp can be set to any type of mode but my Subwoofer is powered by it's own amp and does indicate by way of a green light that it is receiving low bass sound. The Yamaha amp can set LFE to Main speakers or Both Main and Subwoofer or Subwoofer only.

The tv guide ..which reads... Dolby Digital 5.1 sound

I live on Central Coast so you may get 5.1 sound in Sydney or Perth or Brisbane BUT not the central Coast and my question is WHY? You would think the broadcaster would have no problem relaying the sound to regional areas.

Big AL

I live on Central Coast so you may get 5.1 sound in Sydney or Perth or Brisbane BUT not the central Coast and my question is WHY? You would think the broadcaster would have no problem relaying the sound to regional areas.

Big AL

You may not get HD on your Ch. 90. What does your STB tell you. Is is SD or HD on Ch. 90. They can TX a Ch. 90, but as a re-direct to the normal SD channel.

Also as I said if the CH 90 HD loop is running, it has 5.1 on it with some LFE.

As to why no HD outside of Sydney, it requires a bandwidth about 3 times that of SD to network HD around. Plus on top of that the local area transmitter may need a HD encoder.

Big AL

You may not get HD on your Ch. 90. What does your STB tell you. Is is SD or HD on Ch. 90. They can TX a Ch. 90, but as a re-direct to the normal SD channel.

As to why no HD outside of Sydney, it requires a bandwidth about 3 times that of SD to network HD around. Plus on top of that the local area transmitter may need a HD encoder.

I am definately getting the ch90 loop and all Sydney channels plus Newcastle channels. My STB is the NEC HD NHD-1000 and when on ch90 with McCloud daughters running the the STB displays HD 1080i source and 1080i output and AC3 sound.

I don't think they are transmitting the 5.1 audio to regional areas as per tv guide qualification which states Sydney only.

Big AL

Big AL

Sad.

I am definately getting the ch90 loop and all Sydney channels plus Newcastle channels. My STB is the NEC HD NHD-1000 and when on ch90 with McCloud daughters running the the STB displays HD 1080i source and 1080i output and AC3 sound.

I don't think they are transmitting the 5.1 audio to regional areas as per tv guide qualification which states Sydney only.

Big AL

Guest barracuda

On my Yamaha RXV-540 amp, you can see the channels being receievd on the front panel of the amp on the right hand side. For 5.1 sound, you'll see 3 blocks in the top row indicating MainL, Centre and MainR. Underneath this you'll see a block slightly left of the MainL channel indicating LFE (subwoofer), RearL, a blank spot for rear centre (5.1 not 6.1) and a block showing the Rear Right.

Rather than try to go through an effect, you might want to just select the "Auto" setting from the input source on the amp - when you do this the amp should show "Dolby Digital". Only other trick is to ensure the STB is outputting Dolby Digital if it is able, rather than a PCM stream (I can select this on my Humax HD7000 STB).

Try the test loop during the day on Channel 9 or 7. I found that I didn't actually get too much out of the subwoofer on these initially. Recently I've changed by specker configuration through the Yammy speaker settings to "small" for all speakers (even though I have huge speakers all around) - this casued the AMP to really pump the LFE channel into life more - hopeless for music but good for movies. I find that the sub now grumbles even in speach sometimes (a real bastard).

I noticed last night that ACA on channel 90 was broadcasting Dolby Digital 5.1 (amp showed channels being received), but the sub had nothing to do (ACA not known for it's surround sound and whomping track).

Hope that helps.

Noticed this morning when doing some testing that 9HD showing the demo loop had a badly buzzing audio.

My Denon amp was showing it as dd5.1 (from a Toppy5000). The same buzzing was also evident from a VP card on a PC. All the other AC3 audio channels were find, even 7HD which was also showing its demo loop with dd5.

Seems like Nine had something really screwed this morning. It's OK tonite but it's now back on simulcast and only DD2.0