Need help choosing an AV receiver for home theater

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the prices are a little whacked but id assume transport costs etc up the price above what the direct USD -> AUD conversion would be.

Not that the RRP matters much though; most of the stores i've been to said they could do it under the 2K mark and that was just with me saying i was interested in getting one. I hadn't even begun to haggle :hiccup

Guest pedromadeira

Nick

Which one speakers that you recommend for music and movie...so many

around.

I saw the Bose, B&W, PSB Alpha, ...I don't know which one is the best or will

be good for long time...

The PSB Alpha was very good..small speakers that I need.

Rgs

Pedro

Edited by pedromadeira

Pedro, speakers are the most sonically distinctive component in a system, so you really need to get out and try to listen to them and decide yourself.

Okay then, im not sure if i should just create a new thread seeing as i have drifted way off topic from my original post; (I'll let the mods decide) but until then I'm just going to bump this thread back into the light again.

Because my trip isn't going to happen for a couple months I've had some extra time to think (and save) and so i have decided to go the pre/pro -> power amp route on the journey to my HT setup.

I have purchased a 2nd hand Rotel RMB-1095 power amp and im hoping that you guys can throw some ideas at me for the pre/pro side of things (speakers will be determined after my trip to the eastern states).

At the moment my main conundrum is whether or not i should get a proper pre/pro or if i should just get a semi decent AVR and use that as a pre/pro? (as per Rob323's post)

My price limit is still in the 2-3k range and so far all I've really seen in that price range as a dedicated pre/pro is the Rotel RSP-1570 or possibly the Emotiva UMC-1 (yet to be released).

Things im looking for are at least 3 in and 1 out hdmi 1.3a ports as well as support for Dolby true HD.

(Also a big thanks DavidBigEye for the power amp and also an amazing experience with your setup - i only wish i had something remotely as good as it :))

A decent AVR will do everything... except I don't know how loud u play, or what speakers u are going to drive?

The reason to go pre-power is to help drive a loudspeaker with a difficult load, or for best results insert a digital Eq such as the Behringer DCX which has a myriad of settings that can make a total transformation on ur overall sound.

i will be playing them loud.

Speakers are yet to be determined - but these are on my list.

- VAF Research - DC-X G4MkII or I-66

- Focal Chorus 700/800 series (probably the 816/826)

- Klipsch F-2

- The Loud speaker kit - F6's MkII

hmmm what about the integra DTR 30.1?

looks pretty good, has good specs, 7.2 preouts and a a resonable price.

Ive had a play with one of these and they are pretty damn good for the money. I haven't played with many others in that price range to compare, but its got lots of tech crammed into it.

it does look good, i just have to find a place that's got it so i can have a listen.

Stuart (SGR) knows who the importer is, so perhaps if you sent him a PM he could let you know who distributes Integra in WA. He may not know, and if so, sorry for the bumb steer.

hmm, they didnt have them in stock yet :)

Hmm it looks like the standard onkyo line just released the new models as well: the TX-SR707 and TX-NR807 both look interesting.

/me investigates.

Edited by Nick69

You might wanna look into Denon aswell, I am personally using the Denon 2309, it has Audyssey EQ, support for decoding the DTS-HD MA & Dolby TrueHD audio codecs and best of all it has pre-outs which will allow you to connect your recently purchased Rotel power amp.

In my experience the Denon has been a very reliable AVR. The OSD, remote & manual however leave a lot to be desired.

One more thing to note is that 2309 is last years model so Id imagine that you could get one for a very good clearance price, West-Coast Hifi are one of the retailers I know to stock Denon, good luck.

Edit: When looking at the specs for the 2309 online you may not see pre-outs listed, this is due to the US model not having pre-outs until the 2809 & up, the aussie model of the 2309 does definately have pre-outs though.

Edited by Wampy1234
added info

Recently I looked into buying a denon 2309 but was told that it was no longer available, was I lied to ??? In the end I looked to the Integra DTR 30.1 as it has similar specs / price and few added extra's. I think both would be good canditates though.

You might wanna look into Denon aswell, I am personally using the Denon 2309, it has Audyssey EQ, support for decoding the DTS-HD MA & Dolby TrueHD audio codecs and best of all it has pre-outs which will allow you to connect your recently purchased Rotel power amp.

In my experience the Denon has been a very reliable AVR. The OSD, remote & manual however leave a lot to be desired.

One more thing to note is that 2309 is last years model so Id imagine that you could get one for a very good clearance price, West-Coast Hifi are one of the retailers I know to stock Denon, good luck.

Edit: When looking at the specs for the 2309 online you may not see pre-outs listed, this is due to the US model not having pre-outs until the 2809 & up, the aussie model of the 2309 does definately have pre-outs though.

Recently I looked into buying a denon 2309 but was told that it was no longer available, was I lied to ??? In the end I looked to the Integra DTR 30.1 as it has similar specs / price and few added extra's. I think both would be good canditates though.

Hey Dritz & Nick69

I'd imagine they'd be trying to clear them out and make way for the **10 series, I had a quick look online and found a listing (without price) on the specials page of http://simplyhifi.com.au/ it does state "Huge Savings on these models" just above them though.

I got mine for about 1.5k over a year ago so I think a bargain could be had on this model, although the new model is looking sexy too: http://www.audioproducts.com.au/ProductInfo.aspx?pid=AVR2310BK

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting until i can look at some of the new model AVR's that were just released.

The Denon 2310, Onkyo TX-SR707, TX-NR807 and the integra DTR 30.1/2 all look pretty good on paper, i just have to find the time to check out a shop that actually has them in stock and is open outside of my work hours - weekend work can be really annoying sometimes :S

• 1 month later...

So yeah, i just got back from eastern states and i swear i chose the perfect time as i had nothing but sunshine in Adelaide/Sydney while it was raining cats and dogs in Perth :cool:

So my impressions...

VAF itself has a rather nice store and i was pleasantly surprised with when i sat down and had a listen to all of the speakers that they offer. Overall i was very impressed with what i heard and delightfully the staff was as helpful and as knowledgeable as many have claimed.

My time with the DC-X speakers pretty much confirmed everything that i had read on the net previously. They can play pretty much anything you throw at them with gusto; the mids and highs are nice with nothing to strong or weak and i must agree with the comments about them being able to play floor shaking bass with ease. (VAFs claim of not needing a sub with these speakers is perfectly valid).

IMO the DC-X's are well worth the price that that VAF have on them and to be honest I was actually going to buy them, but then I fell in love with its classy cousin the signature I-66.

First let me state that the I-66 is just in another league entirely from the DC-X speakers. They look somewhat unassuming but it all makes sense as soon as the music is turned on. They just effortlessly do everything the DC-X does but its smoother, more detailed and somehow more precise then anything i heard from the DC-X.

So i put myself down for a pair of I-66 speakers and then thanked my lucky stars that i waited an extra 2 months to save (plus the extra couple pays between now and when they will be ready) as my original budget has gone out the window (not to mention that i’ll living off 2 minute noodles for the next few months).

Assuming i don’t die of malnutrition in the mean time (not bloody likely) i’ll let you know when they arrive and how the build goes as ill be putting them together myself.

P.S on a side note - The Soundwall/SW 19 combo is freakishly good - its as if there are no speakers in the room and sounds damn nice at the same time.