Yamaha RX-A3060 v RX-A3070

28 minutes ago, HDobsession said:

Just after some recommendations on where to buy the 3700 in melbourne. I’m happy with $2400 if it can be done. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would be tough getting for that price, I was just ringing around in nsw and got 1 store at 2590 and one at 2500 but they wouldn't except PayPal so I couldn't do it.

If you can't find anyone in Melbourne then I would try the Lifestyle Store in Sydney and ask for Brendan. I would be surprised if you can't get a very good deal, especially given your interstate.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, TerryO said:

If you can't find anyone in Melbourne then I would try the Lifestyle Store in Sydney and ask for Brendan. I would be surprised if you can't get a very good deal, especially given your interstate.

I'll second that very good except they do not have any 3070's in stock and will try and sell you something else.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interestingly Whatifhifi have reviewed the latest model RXA3070 flagship AV receiver and only given it three stars and in part unfavourable compared it to the previous RXA 3060 model which they had given five stars.

Taken at face value it reads like the 3070 has taken a reasonable step back in sq compared to the 3060. Sounds like Yamaha went in the wrong direction big time with the new model. 

https://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/rx-a3070/review

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

1 hour ago, zmacka said:

Other forums have slammed that review this is a better one imho.

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/yamaha-aventage-rx-a3070-av-receiver-review.1652/#comments

One big difference between the Whatifhifi review versus the avnirvana review is Whatifhifi actually draws comparisons between the 3070 and other AVR's including the previous model 3060, thus their ability to give either positive or in this case negative conclusions.

Actual comparisons I find far more informative than just reading through some rewritten suppliers PR handout. 

I would imagine 3070 owners on various forums would rubbish the Whatifhifi review, to do otherwise would devalue their recent purchases and in all reality how many potential new AVR owners have more than one late model similar spec AVR to actually do back to back comparisons? Very few I would imagine and the one thing I have learnt in my short journey with HiFi is without back to back comparisons it's near impossible to truly judge.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 2

Reviews are an interesting read and nothing more. 

I used to avidly buy and read What HIFI (remember buying paper magazines?) but became very cynical several years ago when i found sombre products that they gave only 3 stars too being better than the award winners to my ears...

Also, they do no bench testing or technical review whatsoever - subjective reviews that don't even have the reviewers name credited and almost always put 'British' product on a pedestal. Some have noted that frequent advertisers typically review well too...

Long story short- trust your own ears ;)

I'll be playing with some Aventage receivers next week and will make my own decision. Ill also post my opinion - as nothing more than my own findings...to be read with a pinch of salt :)

One final point @TerryO you have warned people off the 3070 on multiple threads because one (not very credible) review had some criticism and it looks childish and fear mongering and does nothing but galvanise fan boys and start controversy 

• Like 1

Yamapro, you can try but you can't have it both ways old mate, you say listen with your own ears and judge, which I actually agree with by the way, then then you put down the actual review where the reviewers actually compared different models before judging. 

Sure that mag might in some cases favour English products, I don't disagree with that,, but where was the English product in this review and they had written high praise for the earlier Yamaha 3060 model AVR but in this case not the latest model, so your stated dislike of this publication would appear to be colouring your comments some what.

I actually own two late model Yamaha AVR's so I am, like your forum name indicates, also a Yamaha fan boy but why should that stop me from sharing a negative review on a Yamaha product and passing comment on it without it causing you to make disparaging comments about me?

By the way you don't need to reply to my question or even apologise for making it personal, how about you just go off and do your comparison and enjoy.

regards Terry

Edited by TerryO

• 4 weeks later...

Wondering if we’re “punching at shadows” guys? “European Tune” What does that even mean? When these reviews speak of a Euro tune vs a Jap tune is this baselined with all digital processing off? I.e Pure Direct mode? Are we comparing electronics or software? They are both class D amps from the same manufacturer, same family - with almost identical circuitry. Different software could spin the sound into Eskimo tune. 

My RX-A3070 is arriving next week, can’t wait! It will be replacing my RX-A3030 which has been a great bit of gear. Replacing for the new DACs and MusicCast/Tidal integration.

My Aventage is basically just used as a source unit. I have a 2.1 speaker setup that is powered by a Plinius P10, signal fed by the Aventage. 

20 hours ago, TigerStripe said:

Agreed. Though, I wish they were XLR outputs instead! 

Like a full 11 XLR outs!  Oh that's right, that is the MXA(?)5000 pre-pro that has that.  

I do like the way you can expand the system by repurposing L and R built in amps to serve as overheads whilst using an external amp to run the front L and R speakers.  Because I have active LCR, this AVR is looking promising as an upgrade for me to get me into 11CH ATMOS/DTS-X.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2017 at 6:39 AM, TerryO said:

Interestingly Whatifhifi have reviewed the latest model RXA3070 flagship AV receiver and only given it three stars and in part unfavourable compared it to the previous RXA 3060 model which they had given five stars.

Taken at face value it reads like the 3070 has taken a reasonable step back in sq compared to the 3060. Sounds like Yamaha went in the wrong direction big time with the new model. 

https://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/rx-a3070/review

cheers Terry

Take What HiFi's recommendations with less than a grain of salt. How can they give the 3060 a top rating and the 3070 3 stars. They are almost identical with the 3070 adding some nice subtle upgrades. The 3070 is a slight improvement but still an improvement. Unless the competition has radically given many more features for the same price point, I don;t see how the review is a valid argument.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2017 at 8:12 PM, Gremrock said:

potstirrer.jpg

I am very surprised that it didn't stir any reactions.

It used to be complete no-no to even think about using an AVR for stereo forget about actually doing it!?!