Yamaha a-s500

Hi all, 

I've been gifted a nice condition yamaha A-S500 amplifier. 

It dosnt work tho. It powers on then a few seconds later it clicks and stops working, but power light stays on. I have opened it up and can't see anything that seems to be cooked. I have a feeling it may be one of these black I'm not sure what you would call them relays maybe ? It seems as tho the click comes from one of them. If in a car I'd call them a relay. It may be something totally different I'm abit lost on this one. I'm new to the electronics side of things. I've attached a few photos any help would be much appreciated 

17124757154908252647237391308584.jpg

20240407_171837.jpg

20240407_171841.jpg

Best to take it to  a local hifi shop which usually has a repairer on site or they know who will be able to carry out the necessary work. You said it yourself you are new to hifi electronics and one wouldn’t t be poking where electricity is/was without even the basic knowledge 

Neo

Hi neo, thankyou for your reply. I have some basic knowledge. Ive tinkerd with electronics since a kid but only at a very basic level. Power is always unplugged before tinkering.  I've fixed a few in the past easy enough to change out caps etc. But you can see them when they are blown. I just can't see anything wrong here. 

We also don't have hifi shops around the closest would be a few hours drive. There is a local shop the sells components tho. Just no one that fixes electronics anymore. 

Perhaps contact the bigger hifi retailer and ask how much to get it looked at with postage. 
These amplifiers are complicated and you only provided a somewhat blurry picture of one part which you suspect is at fault. 
A technician will have a test of all the caps and associated components with specialized equipment, visually being electronic no one can tell unless there was a major melt down. 
This model is not expensive especially secondhand and the best is to recycle it, as the cost of repair even if you had local shop is more than it’s worth. 
Neo

Those relays are near the speaker outputs?

The bias and DC off set need to be checked. The relays are there to stop DC from being sent to the speakers.

Just a guess, but if they are seeing DC on the output the reason for it needs to be found.

Needs someone that knows what they are doing to look it over.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1

Cheers mate much appreciated. I did find a few on ebay and market place and as you said are cheap to replace. I think I'll just toss it. Not worth the hassle and money to repair it. It was only going to be used in the shed so no loss really. Cheers for your help

Plenty of people will give you a few bucks and take it off your hands for diy repair. Where are you located, list it in the ads or see the pay it forward forum

Edited by mbz
pay it forward

To mbz , cheers mate. I'm located gippsland. I did think about listing it as parts only for someone that needs some parts to fix there's. Rather than just throw it away. I'm sure someone would want it. Cheers.

Service manual explains how to enter the diagnostic mode and "read" the protection info, see below. This would be a good place to start, hopefully something easy like PS PROT typically due to failed voltage regulator or cap on the rail. Need to decode the flashing power LED as per below.

Self.pdf.png

Diag.pdf.png

• Like 1

Thankyou. It dosnt flash at all. I had the remote dropped of last night I'm going to hook it all up and check If it's just been stuck in standby from being turned off with the remote and just unplugged and forgotten about. The lost the remote and said that it stopped working when they tried to use it after that. 

The diagnostic sequence is a bit odd, my take is
- amp powered up, turn off Pure Direct then power off unit/STBY switch
- press Pure Direct then Release
- power up unit using power/STBY switch

Seq.pdf.png

Yeah ok cool I will try it our and see if I can get it to give a diagnostic. Thankyou for all your help much appreciated. I'll keep you posted. I've just gotten home from work had a big day. So I'll give it a go when I get home tomorrow. Cheers mate. 

I'll be down your way over the weekend  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jugsy21 said:

I'll be down your way over the weekend  

Let me know if you want to drop it off, I've got a bit on but can find some time. Again my motive is so I can have a listen and compare with my vintage gear, expect the vintage gear to make a mess of this lowly offering...

• Like 1

Diagnotics indicates 6 flashes of the lamp giving Automatic Power Down, if the unit is left on with no music playing it will go into STBY state, guessing you've accidently left the unit on.

At the rear of the unit is a Power Management switch (APD active yes/no). Set that to OFF and try to power up. Many need to do a factory reset???