Hagerman valve phono preamplifier

This is a valve phono stage. Hagerman has 3 versions .

I am not quite sure if ours are version 1 or 2.

I think the valves are: 2-12AX7, 1-12AU7 and 1-5Y3GT rectifier.

"ours" well it's a long story. Three or four years back after I noticed an ad in our classifieds "make an offer for 2 nearly completed Cornet phono stages starting at $250".

I bought them of these stages for $251. It is only very recently that I was told the kits were priced around $2k each.

Well you won't be surprised to hear that in the first instance they weren't quite the bargain they appeared to be.

Both builds were seriously botched.

"ours" well I gave 1 to @andyr as a thank you for allowing me to maintain his second system at my place.

Andy isn't a valve man so he didn't get his up and running and sent it to Duc @lovetube. Who after communication with Jim Hsggerman started pretty much from scratch and got it working.

There it rested for a year or so while I prevaricated. Andy proposed to sell his but offered it to me as a template for a tech to rebuild mine first.

The sting from his cattle prod got me to find a tech and deliver unto him the phonos.

This week they returned both work perfectly. Andy's had a small hum issue which the tech has eliminated. So it's not going to be for sale .

Great sound eminating from my system at the moment it's attached to a Magnapan arm with a Stanton WS 100 cart.

A month or two back we played Andys against the Cornet 3 and the 3 out performed the 2. We need to repeat the process I'm thinking a blind test might reverse that outcome.

Edited by djb
Added valve info
  • Like 1

Guest Muon N'

Is it 12ax7 tubes used, or octels (6SL7/6SN7)?

I think the version2 came using the octel tubes or the 12AX7's, depending on choice.

Edited by Muon N'

I think the Cornet 3 might still be available from Hagerman !?

it was a later revised version and available at a considerably lower price than 1 or 2.

Failing that eBay or a a want to buy in our classifieds < I'm amazed by what ppl have stashed away. Horders unlike @andyr

Edited by djb

2 hours ago, mloutfie said:

mind you that cornet 3 compared was using a teddy pardo power supply costing as much as the cornet 3 itself

Absolutely true, Mahdi - so the Cornet 3 by itself is undoubtedly not as good-sounding (as what we heard)!

But I seem to remember we couldn't differentiate the SQ of your Cornet 3/Teddy Pardo against my Cornet 2 ... except for the damn hum which mine had, at that stage!  :(  Which now is gone!  :thumb:

2 hours ago, Qwertyqaz said:

Similar to EAR 834p ?

Expensive for what you get.

Only if you think an EAR 834p is a particularly great-sounding phono stage!  :P

Me, I don't - on the basis of a past comparison of the 834p against a phono stage I had at the time (which IMO is not as good as the Cornet).

2 hours ago, Noum said:

If you can buy this plus a Teddy Pardo or an Sbooster LPS, you have a very good phono stage!  :party  However:

• I believe Duc's tube phono (at a significantly higher price point) sounds better, and
  • a comparison the other day between @djb's Cornet 2 and his 'Muse' (which is only v2) saw the Muse preferred.  ;)

Andy

Edited by andyr

As far as know cornet 3 is the same with cornet 2 except for the power stage. It uses a DC power plug to save money. But considering how much cornet 2 kit used to cost. Around$1200 USD unbuilt if I'm not mistaken(without enclosure). Cornet 3 plus a good power supply can be had for $1100 Aussie which makes it pretty good value

No not at all similar to an Ear 843P! The Ear underwhelmed me the few times I've heard one.

i do not think I have heard a better valve phono stage than @lovetube Duc makes.

Hey even mr solid state @cheekyboy likes it

Edited by djb
  • Like 2

UP DATE

A FEW EXTRA BITS OF INFO

1 The 2 units I purchased  are the Cornet 2.

2It is the same cct. as the original Cornet but with a pcb that includes the power supply parts and the two coloured LED.

3 As a complete factory assembled  item it was expensive, and  while you could save money as a kit, a chassis plus labour and testing still adds up.

4 The Cornet 3 cuts costs by using a switched mode power supply and a plastic case. 

1 hour ago, djb said:

UP DATE

A FEW EXTRA BITS OF INFO

1 The 2 units I purchased  are the Cornet 2.

2It is the same cct. as the original Cornet but with a pcb that includes the power supply parts and the two coloured LED.

3 As a complete factory assembled  item it was expensive, and  while you could save money as a kit, a chassis plus labour and testing still adds up.

4 The Cornet 3 cuts costs by using a switched mode power supply and a plastic case. 

David.

i think i found your preamp bottom cover here . you can pick up when you are around this way

enjoy

Duc

15 hours ago, djb said:

No not at all similar to an Ear 843P! The Ear underwhelmed me the few times I've heard one.

i do not think I have heard a better valve phono stage than @lovetube Duc makes.

Hey even mr solid state @cheekyboy likes it

Considering how much the EAR cost it's a bit disappointing 

• Like 1