Looking for (sort of a) test record

Guest rondine

Guest rondine

Hi there

I have edited this as it seems I have given people the wrong impression.

A friend of mine is after a good quality record.

It has to be:

1. New, ie a reissue

3. Available from JB hifi at a reasonable price $50 or less

I have suggested Norah Jones or Dianna Krall but his taste is fairly middle of the road so artists like Wings, Carole King, Steely Dan etc would I think be suitable.

Thanks, ron

Hi there

Looking for a record for a friend who has inherited a large collection of records and a few turntables and wants to work out what is worth keeping. The records are mainly light classical, show music etc and I saw a decent old rim drive Dual and a belt drive CEC amongst it.

Anyway he's after a new record he can use as a test to check the sound and condition of the collection.

It would need to be available from JB hifi and decently pressed. I was thinking along the lines of Norah Jones or Elvis Costello's wife - can't remember her name - but I saw he has Carole King Tapestry and Wings Venus and Mars on cd so something like this would fit as well.

I don't listen to this style of music and haven't bought a new record in 20 odd years so can't help him.

Thanks, ron

Edited by rondine
Post confusing

Guest Runaway

May be a better idea to get a really good secondhand record similar to the type of music in the collection and one which he's familiar with.  Stores like Dixons Recycled has different grades - the best is indicated by a star sticker.  I'm sure there would be copies of Taoestry as well.  It would (usually) be cheaper.  Btw Mrs Costello is Diana Krall.

The collection of turntables is best evaluated with a real test record. Heaven knows where one could be obtained these days--mine is at least 30 years old.

The collection of LPs is best evaluated by listening and see if that particular record "works" for him. I have a few in shoddy condition or just a poor recording where the music is still worth a listen.

Greg

• Like 1

Guest rondine

Thanks for the replies but it looks as though I have given peolle the wrong impression so I have edited the original post.

ron

8 minutes ago, kelossus said:

The David Bowie Ziggy Stardust LP from JB Hi-Fi is excellent. Michael Fremer in his review said it was better than the original UK RCA and the best mastered version he had heard.

LOL!

I've got that but only played the CD.

I'd better get it out and give it a spin!

• Like 1

Just now, LogicprObe said:

LOL!

I've got that but only played the CD.

I'd better get it out and give it a spin!

I have the original RCA UK CD and the 40th Anniversary CD which is the same mastering as the LP. Of course not as good as the LP :D.

I can't remember which CD is better but I know the original is collectible and rather expensive.

• Like 1

Guest rondine
20 minutes ago, kelossus said:

The David Bowie Ziggy Stardust LP from JB Hi-Fi is excellent. Michael Fremer in his review said it was better than the original UK RCA and the best mastered version he had heard.

Geez, I might buy this one to compare to the Mobile Fidelity I have stashed away.

Thanks, ron

1 minute ago, rondine said:

Geez, I might buy this one to compare to the Mobile Fidelity I have stashed away.

Thanks, ron

Direct from Fremers review:

The Mobile Fidelity version certainly sounded "better" than the original, with boosted bass, more precise trebles, both of which contributed to greater depth and punch. But is it what was intended or what it a revision?

The new reissue makes clear it was a revision because it sounds remarkably similar to the U.K. original, though there's more detail and clearer and more precise high frequency transients, despite the age of the tape.

So while the jacket reproduction is mediocre at best and not as good as the original or the Mo-Fi reissue, and that's a damn shame, what's inside is worthwhile. Unless you can find a clean original, this one, nicely pressed somewhere in the E.U. on 180g vinyl is the one to have.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kelossus said:

I have the original RCA UK CD and the 40th Anniversary CD which is the same mastering as the LP. Of course not as good as the LP :D.

I can't remember which CD is better but I know the original is collectible and rather expensive.

I do have on old CD of it.............but I suspect it would be the Aussie one.

• Like 1

Guest rondine

I'm out of touch but weren't the Bowie cds always considered terrible?

Mastered by Toby someone I recall.

ron

Just now, rondine said:

I'm out of touch but weren't the Bowie cds always considered terrible?

Mastered by Toby someone I recall.

ron

Memory is a little fuzzy but I don't recall them being terrible, Not a huge Bowie fan so the only CD I have is Ziggy Stardust which I recall as being pretty good.

Not a CD you would demo your system to interested parties with (unless they were huge fans) but good enough to get a thorough hi-fi experience.

18 minutes ago, rondine said:

Absolutely, why didn't I think of that?

Any views on particular titles or reissues?

thanks, ron

Nothing like testing out some hifi gear by blasting the intro to Money for Nothing on a TT. Cant remember where i got my copy of Brothers in Arms from, but JB would have a copy for sure i reckon. 

That album also has some Songs with quiet passages that could be good to test out his turntable/carts

3 hours ago, GregWormald said:

The collection of turntables is best evaluated with a real test record. Heaven knows where one could be obtained these days--mine is at least 30 years old.

This is the most accurate statement here. But, if you want to use a regular lp, find something well produced that your friend knows well. Take his favourite 10 albums that he has played most regularly for the past year or two, and find which current pressings have the best production. But, taking the above quote into consideration...

http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/artlp-the-ultimate-analogue-test-lp/

Edited by t_mike