Esoteric v Accuphase

16 hours ago, georgehifi said:

This is only the case if the amp has a mediocre or under spec power supply, or if the components have been taxed beyond their best operating range.

Class-A sound magic, if done right.

With these two quality amps running only at 30w class-A, I doubt they'd be taxed and neither their power supplies, but you can bet anything above that 30w is going over to A/B judging by the heatsinks.

Cheers George   

George ,

Not sure about the integrated switching to a/b. I've read a review on Accuphase seperate power amp A36/47 + it's my understanding when it reaches 0/3db output it does indeed switch to a/b running the high current circuitry pushes it to respectable output gains

52 minutes ago, Impulsessz said:

George ,

Not sure about the integrated switching to a/b.

They would have to, as those heatsinks wouldn't in a million years take 120w class-A  into 2ohms, they are pushing it at 30w.

For comparison look at the ML2 monoblocks and they are only 25w Class-A at 8ohms. And this is just one channel.

ML2a.JPG

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 1

It might be worth looking at plinius too. Both the sa 103 and sa ref can be forced to stay in class a but offer a/b if wanted. They are only power amps though

Sent from my JAZZ using Tapatalk

You choose. Do you prefer something a little bit warm, laid back, and lush? Or do you want something a little brighter, more dynamic, and detailed? 

Which amp is the warmer and lush sounding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 04/07/2017 at 11:21 PM, TerryO said:

VA Baby Grands are great speakers, I have a set in my second system and @Hergest is correct they do like power and lots of it. As for buying a new amp and dac etc why not look in the classifieds here, plenty of members selling great amps, dacs and just about everything else you may need often for very reasonable dollars. 

cheers Terry

Terry,

I recently auditioned focal Electra 1028be. Found them very detailed and bright. At the rrp I couldn't justify the overall spend and with my current living area being approx  4.5 X 3.4mtrs they would over power the small confines.

Did audition the bbg's a yr or so ago and was absolutely amazed at there musicality and presentation. Yes I did consider the concert grands but for reasons stated above didn't see the need(long after the audition for reasons I can't explain the musicality of the bbg's has stayed), besides this frees up more funds for a high quality integrated or seperates.

May my search continue in Earnest !

You make some interesting points regarding the run in time

Troy

Troy I have several amps that I have tried with the BBG's and the Concert Grands and if is musicality you are after and your room isn't that big then I would say try and audition a PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP Integrated. 

Its a fraction of the price of the amps your looking at and seriously compliments the VA's big time. The bonus of the PrimaLuna is you can spend a few dollars and buy other size and brands of tubes which completely change the sound quality, with tube rolling you can make it as warm or at the other end of the spectrum bright as you want and everything in between. I have four different sets of tubes and each is very different sound wise. Only a tube amp offers that amount of flexibility.

The photo of the amp shows it with the largest and most powerful tubes you can fit to it. The only issue with the KT150's is the tube cover won't fit because they are so much bigger than the rest.

Plus a bonus is in winter it becomes a room heater.

Anyway it might be worth a try with the VA's, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

cheers Terry

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by TerryO

On 05/07/2017 at 5:12 PM, Impulsessz said:

Which pass labs do you recommend as they have an extensive  range which review well.

Same problem for me here as with the Esoteric. Nowhere to audition in WA

Troy

re your query on pass and accuphase

I have the Accuphase c- 2420 pre and I love it and would reccomend to anyone.  Built like a tank. Unlike some others it feels like its worth the $ and operationally it's been perfect.  When you turn the input selector it's a weighty clunky type feel. Same for the other switches and the volume.  In terms of sound, smooth would be the word.  And I don't mean lacking dynamics or rolled off at the top ....just very smooth.  It just sounds right - musical.    Its certainly not that solid state bright nor is it warm tube.  To me its just the good balance between the two.  It's also capable of unbelievable imaging if you have the front end to feed it.

I also have regular use of my fathers system which is is a Pass X10 pre with a Pass x-250.5.  I love the pass gear.  I helped to select it so I would say that.  If you like the Accuphase sound I can't see how you wouldn't like the pass gear.  To me they are quite similar.  If you want a slightly cheaper option than your suggested amps the pass integrated amps are very good IMO.  I have used the pass and the Accuphase together and they sounded great to me.

Steam

On 07/07/2017 at 7:02 AM, Impulsessz said:

Terry,

I recently auditioned focal Electra 1028be. Found them very detailed and bright. At the rrp I couldn't justify the overall spend and with my current living area being approx  4.5 X 3.4mtrs they would over power the small confines.

Did audition the bbg's a yr or so ago and was absolutely amazed at there musicality and presentation. Yes I did consider the concert grands but for reasons stated above didn't see the need(long after the audition for reasons I can't explain the musicality of the bbg's has stayed), besides this frees up more funds for a high quality integrated or seperates.

May my search continue in Earnest !

You make some interesting points regarding the run in time

Troy

News flash,

PS audio BHK250 PWR + Pre amp for $15250 brand new- huge discount. shed loads of Pwr...thoughts please

2 hours ago, Rob181 said:

I would go the Esoteric...

On looks alone :)... could be gryphon's best amp ever but with that appearance- it must be made in the usa-where the bigger is better philosophy and (never mind the aesthetics) wins time & again Lol 

Rob do you have experience/knowledge with Esoteric ?

1 hour ago, Impulsessz said:

On looks alone :)... could be gryphon's best amp ever but with that appearance- it must be made in the usa-where the bigger is better philosophy and (never mind the aesthetics) wins time & again Lol 

Rob do you have experience/knowledge with Esoteric ?

Couldn't buy a new Gryphon in the USA at till about 1 month ago...

Gryphon is Danish (I think) & I have owned an Antileon stereo amp...

Great sounding amp & the 1 Nutz is selling today should be top of your list...

I have major issues with the way Accuphase do NOT support any "grey" components...

Unless it was sold new in AUS... you are pharked for R&M support...

No experience with Esoteric gear thus far...

But @georgehifi knows what he is talking about with amps...

The latest quality integrated amps are getting close to separates... 

So of the 2 you nominated...my choice would be the Esoteric...

12 hours ago, Impulsessz said:

News flash,

PS audio BHK250 PWR + Pre amp for $15250 brand new- huge discount. shed loads of Pwr...thoughts please

Stick with Accuphase ,Esoteric if that is your only choices both genuine high end manufacturers which make superb products.

12 hours ago, Rob181 said:

Couldn't buy a new Gryphon in the USA at till about 1 month ago...

Gryphon is Danish (I think) & I have owned an Antileon stereo amp...

Great sounding amp & the 1 Nutz is selling today should be top of your list...

Ditto, Yes I've heard that amp, at Nutz's place, and yes very nice sound with that Class-A touch to it, in the upper mids/highs. Didn't know he was selling it, then again Nutz's would sell his grandmother.

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

On 05/07/2017 at 4:06 PM, rantan said:

This is very good advice.

VA BBGs take at least 200 hours before they settle and cease being bright, shiny and thin sounding. After this the mellow out and become more balanced. You may not think they sound bright and thin but wait until they are well used and you will see ( hear ) what I mean.

Personally I couldn't get on with them and to this day I dislike any VA speakers, but that is just my opinion and I am not saying that many others will agree.

The other thing to be aware of is that they are ,on paper, efficient and ( supposedly ) easy to drive, but I urge you not to trust the specifications. You will need a reasonably powerful amplifier and those mentioned will certainly do the job and another amp I would throw into the mix is the Luxman 590AX for class A or if you go AB then a 507 UX

I personally love Class A amps and either of the two you are looking at are very good but the 590 AX is just sublime and at $10K, a relative bargain compared to the other two,which leaves you with $5K to keep or spend on whatever you like

I can pick up the E600 for 10k as a demo special

The best price on the F03A  $13950

Guest rogerthat
1 hour ago, Impulsessz said:

I can pick up the E600 for 10k as a demo special

The best price on the F03A  $13950

That is a pretty good demo price for a great piece of equipment.