Active Speakers (L&R) : What do you have?

Guest JohnA
Ummm, do my R1's count?

What about TerryJ's Frankenspeakers, they should also be included.

sure do, if they are active they belong on the list as far as i can tell.

It is interesting to see how many people have gone active.

I never considered active at first.

heck, i never considered an aussie manufaturer....seriously, you want me to purchase a no name brand, a non trophy item....READ MY SIG!!!!!

damn how things change ;)

sure do, if they are active they belong on the list as far as i can tell.

It is interesting to see how many people have gone active.

I never considered active at first.

heck, i never considered an aussie manufaturer....seriously, you want me to purchase a no name brand, a non trophy item....READ MY SIG!!!!!

damn how things change :)

Damn tooting John..............Trophy Schmophy. Mind you there's every chance they will be considered trophy items in the future ;)

Guest JohnA

Andrew

i am glad we have great Aussie manufacturers.

SGR, yourself or anyone else....i hope they all become trophy brands

but what i hope does not happen, is that they do not become out of reach for the average Joe

There are some albums that are just rubbish unfortunately. But I have been enjoying more and more albums on my new speakers not less.

I've found that if I enjoy the music, the quality of reproduction matters less than if it isn't may favourite tunes. I sometimes get disappointed listening to Dark Side of the Moon (for example), but then Us and Them starts up and I forget about the quality and just listen to the ideas ;):D:D

It's not a freq resp thing. 99% of my titles are Superior in everyway on the actives, just mesmerising.

But they are very revealing, and on some titles distortion becomes noticable. The same title on my passives, and if I turn the volume way up, I can hear that same distortion.

More detail, means flaws in the recording come to the foreground, well, on my system anyway.

I doubt you'd know my chillout album, it's rare -> http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/6082275/a/Diamonds+La+Roca.htm

Awesome tracks, great music, there is just some distortion coming to the fore on the actives.

There are some albums that are just rubbish unfortunately. But I have been enjoying more and more albums on my new speakers not less. It was the same with my Osborn Interludes. In passive form they were very fatiguing after a while and poorly recorded things sounded awful due to the over emphasis of some frequencies over others. After I had them converted to active I actually found them to be more forgiving due to them being more accurate. Hard to explain really, but thats what I found. I also hear much more detail with the actives, win win for me.

Can you give us an example of what CD's you are talking about, and we might be able to give our opinions on our own systems.

Have you taken any measurements in your room? Do you know if the midrange or treble has any push in your room? If so might be worth talking to Stuart and he could do something for you?

Fair enough mate. Just the price you pay for ultimate transparency I guess.

It's not a freq resp thing. 99% of my titles are Superior in everyway on the actives, just mesmerising.

But they are very revealing, and on some titles distortion becomes noticable. The same title on my passives, and if I turn the volume way up, I can hear that same distortion.

More detail, means flaws in the recording come to the foreground, well, on my system anyway.

I doubt you'd know my chillout album, it's rare -> http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/6082275/a/Diamonds+La+Roca.htm

Awesome tracks, great music, there is just some distortion coming to the fore on the actives.

Any others out there ?

Active Speakers (L&R):

I have box's & box's of parts so its in-active at the moment :).The tweeter OPT's are being wound as we speak :D.

Cheers

Hi Prof are they still connected up??

I'm not actually in the market but would love a listen to both your sets of speakers before the Avantgardes go..

Hi Prof are they still connected up??

I'm not actually in the market but would love a listen to both your sets of speakers before the Avantgardes go..

currently in-active but easy to connect up as both they and the ADAMs use XLRs. It's just a matter of lugging them into the room, one problem with actives is their considerable weight - Solos are about 30kg each, ADAMs a kg or so less. I'm away for 2 months at the end of the month so you'll haVe to be quick.