CARTRIDGES: Warm and Lush...

12 hours ago, Jebediah said:

Have been very happy with my GS Communicator over the last couple or so years. Looking forward to eventually getting the PSU1 for it. The Hana EH for the 1200 techie might be coming first though...;)

If you haven't tried the Communicator with a PSU1, Steve, I'm happy to let you borrow a unit as part of the Slee Loaner Program, so you can trial it with your Communicator in your own system. If you're interested, drop me a PM.

Cheers,

Keith

4 hours ago, cheekyboy said:

If you haven't tried the Communicator with a PSU1, Steve, I'm happy to let you borrow a unit as part of the Slee Loaner Program, so you can trial it with your Communicator in your own system. If you're interested, drop me a PM.

Cheers,

Keith

Haha, it's Michael, Keith, all good lol. Yes have certainly thought about it, and once our house move is finally sorted I'll make it a priority. Appreciate it Keith, cheers mate!

23 hours ago, weavzy said:

I too have a graham slee phono. Communicator 2. Havent plugged it in since i got my new amp. I should give it a go. But im more than happy with the yamaha onboard one though.

If you cannot hear a difference between a decent separate phono stage and the Yamaha on-board then the rest of your gear is letting you down.

What they throw in as a phono stage in those amps is usually just a cheap chip.

Edited by rockpig
typo

3 hours ago, rondine said:

That's probably what is in the Slee.

ron

I've not ventured to look under the hood of my GS Communicator, but I have done an A-B comparison with it and my vintage HK's phono section, which allows for some different capacitance loading options. So, a reasonable built in phono stage for an "affordable" amp. Still prefer the Slee.

• Like 1

Quick update.

Plugged the Graham Slee Communicator 2 phono stage in a couple of days ago. Let it warm up before I used it.

Just dropped the needle on a handful of records. I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe shocked is a better description...

Everything is better. Bass, treble, midrange.  All far more improved. Massively in fact. 

Feel kinda silly I've had it sitting in a drawer in a drawer for five months since i got my new amp.

Even difficult records like Electric Ladyland  (my favorite album of all time but notoriously bright) sounds unbelievable. 

So for now I guess my cart search is in hold. Coz I'm currently deep in a would of Warm Lushness!!!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, MattyW said:

Mmmm, cartridge changing may occur down the track anyway. Cartridge tasting is near as addictive as tube rolling ;)

Sent from my Redmi Pro using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm still gonna get the shure m97xe. 

Too good of a price to pass up on.

Yeah I'm still gonna get the shure m97xe. 
Too good of a price to pass up on.

Pick up a JVC Z1-S when you get a chance (usually $25-40) and put a Jico NeoSAS/S on it. About as good as MM carts get ;)

Sent from my Redmi Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 hours ago, weavzy said:

Quick update.

Plugged the Graham Slee Communicator 2 phono stage in a couple of days ago. Let it warm up before I used it.

Just dropped the needle on a handful of records. I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe shocked is a better description...

Everything is better. Bass, treble, midrange.  All far more improved. Massively in fact. 

Feel kinda silly I've had it sitting in a drawer in a drawer for five months since i got my new amp.

Even difficult records like Electric Ladyland  (my favorite album of all time but notoriously bright) sounds unbelievable. 

So for now I guess my cart search is in hold. Coz I'm currently deep in a would of Warm Lushness!!!

I am glad it worked out... however, i am not surprised that the Graham Slee slays the Yamaha...

as I said earlier amongst my ramblings...

"Also, what phono pre are you using? Changing the phono pre can make a Huuuge difference, and if your'e using the one built into the Yamaha it is definitely worth trying an external one as I am sure you will find an improvement - Graham Slee, Parasound and Rega all have options within your budget as do Schiit."

enjoy the music!

• Like 2