What is my Linn and Naim gear worth and how to sell?

Hi

I am looking at selling my Linn turntable, Naim amps and JBL speakers but I've got no idea what to ask for them. They are all vintage like me! I bought the Linn from The Sound Craftsman in 1983

I've been told a friend of a friend of mine is interested in the Linn but what's a fair price for both of us? And if he is not really interested where's the best place to sell them? Put a classified on Stereonet? A dealer?

Here's a list of the gear;

Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok IV II, Linn K18

Naim Nac 32-5

Naim NAP 140

JBL L96

I can give more details but I didn't know if that was appropriate on an advice forum.

Any advice and thoughts would be really appreciated.

Java ..... are you the original owner/purchaser..??

If you know history of these units always helps in a sale..if you can supply servicing documentation is a bonus too...

Can you be a little more specific with each item..??

Cheers Tase

P.S.  Nice to see someone using JBL with Naim amplification... :thumb:

Java ..... are you the original owner/purchaser..??

Yes I am the original purchaser. I will look up serial numbers and service etc.

The JBL's are great :) . When I purchased the gear it was between Yamaha speakers or JBL's but for me the sound of the jb's won me over.

Hello JavaJoe

Would be a good idea to post them separately in the Classified Advertising on this forum

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=new_post&f=7

Pricing the vintage gear is difficult, but condition and serviceability of the items is important, photos, more photos, and documentation associated with individuals goes a long way. If your loved vintage gear is in top nic, you can ask good prices, you can always come down in price, but is difficult to go up.

May even be worthwhile to search through the classifieds to get a bearing of what your prices can be set at.

Cheers

Matt

Read the guidelines in the Classifieds section as they are as informative as they are useful in placing your add.

Lp12 will sell

Naim may well not sell

Repost the details above in beginners forum

LP 12 with arm price depends on condition and age

The cart is probably not going to add much to the price

Search classified archive here for similar items

There are I think 3 Naim items on page 1 or 2 of the classifieds.

Naim is not especially popular in OZ .

The Naim .cult/mantra of all your gear/components must be ours for appropriate synergy has little if any support here

Edited by djb

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.

I did search the classifieds for similar items and looked on ebay but found it hard to price them.

I looked up the purchase and service details for the items.

The Linn LP12 I purchased from The Sound Craftsman in 1983. Serial No: 046911

It was serviced there in 85 and again in 90 when a drive belt and armboard were fitted. I haven't used it for a few years and I'd say it would need a good service by now. I also got the Naim audio cable there.

I can't remember if I purchased the JBL L96 at Sound Craftsman or Encil.

The Naim amps and more Naim speaker cable I purchased at Excel Hi-Fi in Hong Kong in 1990. We were visiting some friends in Hong Kong at the time and I'd researched them before going there.

Nac 32-5 No: 51680, NAP 140 S/N 50777

I will see if I can put a price on them and maybe advertise in the classifieds. Any other suggestions appreciated. OK, more research for me!

If you really can't work out a price ,decide what would me be the minimum you would want, auction them on ebay with your minimum as the starting bid and let the market decide.

You will get more if your description and pictures are detailed and you are prepared to post.  Although if you are in Melbourne you may not need to offer post. 

Hi Javajoe,

I am presuming this is all chrome bumper and as said before condition, servicing, boxes and paperwork will all affect the price.

It is probably best selling the Naim items seperately the 32.5 was top dog back in the day and is a tweakers dream. What were you powering it with? Are there any phono cards in either of the phono slots?

The Nap140 is a shoe box too so it keeps the footprint small and looks way cool.

good luck Ian.

Hi Ian

It was just powered with the Nap 140. The Linn lp12 was connected to the phono input.

I've still got the original box for the Lp12 somewhere in the attic. I will have a look for it. They are in good condition although I just noticed one of the hinges on the lp12 lid has a small break in it.

As the other guys here have said, the lp12 will go in a heartbeat and top $ will probably come from that auction site but it can be a pita dealing with the people on there.

Put a price on the nac/nap and if it doesn't sell keep it for a rainy day or 2nd system.