Active Speakers (L&R) : What do you have?

Hi Guys,

Edit: This thread is with regards to your main speakers... I.E. part of your premium rig :(

It seems that active speakers have become more popular of late and I thought it might be interesting to put together a bit of a list of what active speakers (mains - L&R) people are currently running.

Its easy to have a list for commercially available speakers as they generally have a product name, but its a bit more difficult for DIY speakers. So if your running DIY active speakers please be description with your post. E.G. I had Osborn Interludes that were converted to active by SGR. Or there are guys who have built their own speakers and use a DEQX for active crossovers, and they are using scanspeak revelator drivers (model x, y & z).

Oh, and pictures wouldn't go astray :mad:

If you want to be added to the list could you please do the following:

- Name your speaker with make and model

- Add a link to your own thread on SNA that has pic's of your set up

- Add a link to the manufacturers site.

Ill update this first post with the list as people reply.

Active Speakers (L&R):

Edited by Drizt

SGR-TAG 3 ways: running B&G Neo3, Neo8 and SEAS Excel 6.5" drivers(x2). The mains are part of a trio, that I fondly refer to as Bob & the Beechies. (I know this is a mains only thread, but I cant bring myself to leave Bob out :( ).

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn113/ozmillsy/sgr/Bob_Beechies_1.jpg

And lovely speakers they are mate. Thanks for the pic. Harry did very well with that picture, it came up a treat.

I have my own active 3-ways.. does that count? :(

Known as the "MorDyn's" for obvious reasons.

Morel MDT 33 Tweeter off Marantz MA6100

Morel CDM54 Midrange off Marantz MA6100

DynAudio MW170 8" Woofer off Cambridge 840W

Crossovers done via Behringer DCX2496 soon to have output stage modded/volume control added.

Edited by fury

Guest JohnA

Crossovers done via Behringer DCX2496 soon to have output stage modded/volume control added.

why wouldn't it count

now if i am not mistaken they are car audio drivers from morel and dyn

I have used that midrange, and the 7" dyn driver in an older install

very nice speakers.

Got any pics?

For me

SGR octagons

Sounds like a very nice combo. Got any pics to add ? Id love to see them.

Thanks to the advice of Warwick from the Pure Music Group, I have a pair of Adam A5. I am very happy with them but I am looking forward to getting a Sub7 for a bit of bass extension.

A sound plan :(. Ive heard great things about the Adams, can't wait to hear the Deltas for myself sometime soon.

why wouldn't it count

now if i am not mistaken they are car audio drivers from morel and dyn

I have used that midrange, and the 7" dyn driver in an older install

very nice speakers.

Got any pics?

Sure are, had the MW170's and the MDT33's in the car at one stage, although the MDT33's aren't really car friendly... 66mm mounting depth and 110mm face plate... fun fun fun :(

Pics can be found here:

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=2062&page=3&highlight=mordyn

More to come once i give them a clean tomorrow :mad:

I've hung on to a pair of Meridian M20's, the last incarnation with over and under mid/bass drivers, that I can't imagine ever getting rid of. They fill my room with dynamically wide and tonally fleshed out music. I pre amp them with an Audio Research LS7. Actives can be time aligned in the crossover which in actives is before the amps rather than after. They stage miraculously, too, depending on the recording.

I've hung on to a pair of Meridian M20's, the last incarnation with over and under mid/bass drivers, that I can't imagine ever getting rid of. They fill my room with dynamically wide and tonally fleshed out music. I pre amp them with an Audio Research LS7. Actives can be time aligned in the crossover which in actives is before the amps rather than after. They stage miraculously, too, depending on the recording.
as many already now, I've got some ADAM Tensor Deltas, an active 3 way standmount. Great speakers:)

Thanks guys for adding to the list.

Currently an active/passive set-up, using Elac 510s over home-built Lambda PB12 boxes at 120Hz. The picture is very important for the system - having your ears boxed, for removing the photo, definitely impairs sound quality!

Currently an active/passive set-up, using Elac 510s over home-built Lambda PB12 boxes at 120Hz. The picture is very important for the system - having your ears boxed, for removing the photo, definitely impairs sound quality!

Thanks for the picture mate, looks like a nice setup. Bet it sounds nice too.

I have Maggie IIIas (made 20 years ago). Stock, they are 3-way passive ... I've run them 3-way active for the last 10 years. As the drivers are basically resistive (little inductance), the XOs are just filters - so it's a relatively simple task to replicate the slopes actively. I use Rod Elliott's P09 XOs.

Regards,

Andy

Thanks for the picture mate, looks like a nice setup. Bet it sounds nice too.

Picture of amp stack (EQ is for HT duties) attached. New couch coming in the next few weeks, so I may be able to put a long, thin subwoofer behind it. Maybe...:(

[edit] Amps are stock Behringer A500 (for the bass) and massaged Sansui AU-X1 (as pre-amp and power amp). Behringer CX2310 xover (although there's a CX3400 left over from before I got the 2-way) and Behringer 31-band EQ.[/edit]

Edited by Cloth Ears

Picture of amp stack (EQ is for HT duties) attached. New couch coming in the next few weeks, so I may be able to put a long, thin subwoofer behind it. Maybe...;)

Very impressive mate. Looks like you have put a lot of effort into extracting as much extra performance as you can out of your setup. Great stuff. I had thought of using subs as stands for stand mount speakers at one stage, still think its a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

I have Maggie IIIas (made 20 years ago). Stock, they are 3-way passive ... I've run them 3-way active for the last 10 years. As the drivers are basically resistive (little inductance), the XOs are just filters - so it's a relatively simple task to replicate the slopes actively. I use Rod Elliott's P09 XOs.

Regards,

Andy

Id love to hear maggies one day, ive never had the privilege. I bet going active was a massive upgrade too.

I have a problem with my actives. They are ruthlessly transparent.

I've discovered my favourite chill album has a fair amount of distortion in the recording. I find it far too distracting on the actives, and can only listen to it on my 2nd (passive) system.

Anyone else have this problem?

There are some albums that are just rubbish unfortunately. But I have been enjoying more and more albums on my new speakers not less. It was the same with my Osborn Interludes. In passive form they were very fatiguing after a while and poorly recorded things sounded awful due to the over emphasis of some frequencies over others. After I had them converted to active I actually found them to be more forgiving due to them being more accurate. Hard to explain really, but thats what I found. I also hear much more detail with the actives, win win for me.

Can you give us an example of what CD's you are talking about, and we might be able to give our opinions on our own systems.

Have you taken any measurements in your room? Do you know if the midrange or treble has any push in your room? If so might be worth talking to Stuart and he could do something for you?