frankenspeaker project

cram

I had a set of old Wharfedale III. Great little speakers but lacking a bit at the bottom end (its only a 5L box or thereabouts).

Came across some Celestion Ditton 33 10" drivers and cabinets (no mids or tweeters).

So...

Brace the cabinet. fill in the 5" and tweeter cutouts and use the 10" (and celestion crossover) and sit the Wharfedales (using their own crossover) on top of it.

Any tips?

Photos etc to come.

The WD and C will overlap in the bass region.   You might want to add a high pass filter to the WD which matches the rolloff of the C.     The would depend on where to LPF was in the C cabinet.... as if it were in the wrong place  (Eg. too high), then it might need redesigning.

Good project this since all the difficult bits have been done already. :D

One thing that you have to do is find out the relative sensitivity of the Wharfedales and the Celestion. Get some pink noise (FM, in between channels) through them and use any SPL app via your smartphone to measure.

Hopefully your 'dales are louder which you can attenuate. 

Try and crossover your 'dales at about 300 to 400 Hz. There are a lot of crossover calculators online for you to use.

Put a capacitor on the 'dales and a choke/inductor on the Celestion.

Have fun.

Thanks for the feedback.

Have managed to get hold of a second mid, so now going intending to use celestion drivers/crossovers.

Once I work out how to add pics, I'll post a mock-up.

A couple of issues:

- location of low range - either at the bottom of the box or up high (with the cab turned upside down).

- Will need some tweeters!

Originals are exy and old and not that well regarded.

Seas HO737 / 19TFF1 are recommended for the othe Celestion models, but they are 8 Ohm, whereas the 33 uses a 4 Ohms tweeter.

Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...