Suitable Amp for Krix?

Hi,

This is my first post.:)

I am building up a nice little system at home, i currently have Krix KDX, plugged into a 7.1 channel Sony DG-910 Amplifier in 2 channel stereo.

Good news is I have Krix Esoterix 1 mk 2 and Centrix Speakers on the way! Yay.

However, I'm a little concerned that my current Sony amp will be somewhat inadequate to power this setup. Mainly due to this article http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/receivers/2354/test-bench-sony-str-dg910-av-receiver.html which states that the amp is limited to 30 watts per channel in surround mode?? Unfortunately i will have to put up with it for a while - as i cant afford another amp just yet :eek:(i bought the amp earlier in the year, and didnt quite anticipate the scale of what my setup would become)

Any advice on a good amp for this speaker setup? And can anyone give advice or have experience with this Sony amp in surround mode. Is it really all that bad & how will this REALLY affect performance? I find it strange that the specs for the amp state 100watts x 7 and then in the Sound and Vision test it states its limited to 30 watts per channel.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by cmccarth

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

This is my first post.:confused:

I am building up a nice little system at home, i currently have Krix KDX, plugged into a 7.1 channel Sony DG-910 Amplifier in 2 channel stereo.

Good news is I have Krix Esoterix 1 mk 2 and Centrix Speakers on the way! Yay.

However, I'm a little concerned that my current Sony amp will be somewhat inadequate to power this setup. Mainly due to this article http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/receivers/2354/test-bench-sony-str-dg910-av-receiver.html which states that the amp is limited to 30 watts per channel in surround mode?? Unfortunately i will have to put up with it for a while - as i cant afford another amp just yet :P(i bought the amp earlier in the year, and didnt quite anticipate the scale of what my setup would become)

Any advice on a good amp for this speaker setup? And can anyone give advice or have experience with this Sony amp in surround mode. Is it really all that bad & how will this REALLY affect performance? I find it strange that the specs for the amp state 100watts x 7 and then in the Sound and Vision test it states its limited to 30 watts per channel.

Cheers,

Chris

do you have a sub? if so run the amp with speakers set to small to relieve the amp of the load.

Welcome to the forum CMC sounds like you're off to a good start! I would second the big lebowski's recommendation and also say pay attention to what Awake in Animosity suggests- he works in the industry and has nothing to gain here.

Enjoy your time here and send us all pics when the new Krix arrive!!

do you have a sub? if so run the amp with speakers set to small to relieve the amp of the load.

Sony amp will not bring the best out of Krix speakers. Amp upgrade is necessary and small tweak probably won't help in the overall sound quality.

if you're on a budget and don't care for bells and whistles then a Cambridge Audio 540R or 640R could be ideal.

I would not recommend cambridge audio because compare to the other units it lacks the current surround sound decoding technology to decode DTS HD and Dolby Digital HD and it will rely on internal decoding of Bluray player to do the decoding. Many feel the Bluray player's internal decoding is inferior to the decoder built into the AVRs. I would recommend 805 or similarly feature integra 7.8, Denon 2808 and above, Pioneer LX60/70, Marantz 7002 and Yamaha 1800/1900. This will get you a solid foundation for a good HT system and to improve the stereo play back you can consider adding a power amp in the future.

Thanks for all youre advice guys.

My Krix Esoterix 1 mk 2 arrived yesterday! Very impressive sounding so far, although had to seriously curtail the bass eq on the amp to accomodate the closeness to the wall/small room size(im living in a small flat atm).

They sound quite frankly overwhelming, i certainly need a bigger room to appreciate them properly. Until we move to a bigger house in a few months i'll probably just hook up the KDX again to avoid complaints from the neghbours. lol.

Actually, my girlfriend and i are in agreeance that the KDX actually sound "better" in our current room setup. They are more at ear level (30 inch stands), and sound crisper and more delicate. Obviously without the lower bass response though.

Edited by cmccarth

• 2 weeks later...

Integra DTR 8.8, and right now you can get them at a good cheaper than previously. Check with Nick at Clef hifi, and they will help you out. Krix in my opinion sound great with the Integra, whether it is 7.8, 7.9 or 8.8 (pref for 8.8) you wont go wrong. Good luck :o

in my opinion maybe any NAD receiver would be great with your krix speakers. I have a stereo setup with the same combo, they are a nice fit. I hope that advice helps. I bought my system from soundair in caulfield. cheers

Edited by trigun74
wanting to add more

Definatly give the Integra amps a go. Clef hifi in Melbourne have that setup in their demo room and it is exciting to listen to. If you are in Melbourne, give them a try and speak to Nick, manager, also, there are reviews in a few of the aussie audio magazines. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andre, I have been using a Cambridge 640R with my Krix HT system and I am impressed with the sound, the Cambridge lack's some of the bells and wistles of the big boys but I thought it was the best sounding.

Hope this is of help but as always let your ears decide.

Good luck.