Falls Creek Bespoke Pre Amp

Paul Baker of Falls Creek Audio has commenced building my new Pre Amp.

It will very similar componentry as to this one in the 1st photo below...2nd & 3rd photo shows the what was an old Silky Oak desk that had been left in the elements & now taking shape as the FCPA & FCPS...the larger box in the 3rd photo is the beginnings of my Killer DAC...

A DHT Pre based around 1930's WE 205 D's...bloody expensive when NOS...U52 Genelex or Osram rectifier.... a Tango input/output transformer & chokes...Silk volume transformers...Plessey PIO Caps & some hook up wire from heaven...

I have spent over 4 months sourcing the parts from literally all over the world...

I will add further photos as the build progresses...

post-132180-0-49304100-1415157461_thumb.

post-132180-0-14136500-1415157501_thumb.

post-132180-0-82880700-1415157562_thumb.

Edited by Rob181
  • Like 7

Looking good Rob and the result should be unique (a one-off) and very musical.

You have a few projects on the go don't you? How's the DD-ESL coming along ...still loving mine.

Steve.

Hi Steve...& yes you are correct...to quote an icon "its all happening"...

Craig & I are building our own design aluminium frames & they are 70% completed. Progress is limited by Craig's availability...he has been flat out of late.

What did you end up using as covers for your ESL's again...I need to go a buy some of that material...this will need to go in when we put the panels inside the frames...

Rob,

Spotlight is your friend with lots of funky fabrics to choose from. I covered my DD-ESL with a thin orange chiffon material about $18/m, its a balance between letting the sound out and not being able to see the mechanics of the speaker, the thinner you can tolerate the better. The best speaker screen is a metal one, I find all soft fabrics attenuate the treble no matter how thin.

Steve.

Paul Baker of Falls Creek Audio has commenced building my new Pre Amp.

It will very similar componentry as to this one in the 1st photo below...2nd & 3rd photo shows the what was an old Silky Oak desk that had been left in the elements & now taking shape as the FCPA & FCPS...the larger box in the 3rd photo is the beginnings of my Killer DAC...

A DHT Pre based around 1930's WE 205 D's...bloody expensive when NOS...U52 Genelex or Osram rectifier.... a Tango input/output transformer & chokes...Silk volume transformers...Plessey PIO Caps & some hook up wire from heaven...

I have spent over 4 months sourcing the parts from literally all over the world...

I will add further photos as the build progresses...

attachicon.gifFC Pre 1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1101.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1106.JPG

Paul Baker who is that? looks like he is good with wood

1920 Western Electric 205Ds, Genalex gold lion U52. I can buy a car for what they are worth. Nice ROB... 

So is that what happened after I bought those beautiful NOS WE 205's from the best purveyor of "tubes" in AUS...

Paul Baker who is that? looks like he is good with wood

Woodn't know anything about that...

I am looking forward to listening to my DAC using a Tango choke & some "holy" hook up wire that arrived today...heaven sent from the Japanese God...Yamamura.....

• Like 1

I got offered for free some rare as rocking horse doodoo yamamura capacitors today, go figure. did you get the brown cable with the trigard or the white?

..... building our own design aluminium frames ....

I wonder why you went for aluminium?  I guess it will be very stiff and light. But what about inductance bleed next to the high voltage field?

I got offered for free some rare as rocking horse doodoo yamamura capacitors today, go figure. did you get the brown cable with the trigard or the white?

You have my address...you are more than welcome to send them my way...

You have my address...you are more than welcome to send them my way...

Forget Robs address Yamamura is needed in Perth for future project................