Track release...

Tom, that's a damn fine piece of work. I downloaded it , burnt it, and played it on the big system. Keep 'em coming.

I love the intro and outro, but the middle section (around 7-8mins) is a bit too long perhaps. Also whilst the kick bass and cymbals were crystal clear, there's (to my tastes) a bit too much in-built distortion factor in the rhythm line.

But mate.................excellent stuff nonetheless..........Highly recommended to trance addicts on the forum.

Andrew

Haha Andrew you were the last person I expected to have any positive criticism regarding a trance or techno track :P

Actually I'm not sure all the rhythm bass distortion is all synth-driven (though I have distorted it somewhat), the levels on the track were quite high, it was not reaching a peak distortion level however due to them being so high there is possibly some distortion occurring anyway...How can I make the track and not be sure? Because it is all mixed on cheapo headphones :) haven't got any speakers, let alone decent ones, on the computer at the moment.

I think the upper end may be pushed up a bit too much as well, the headphones I used for that track were not particularly responsive up high, so in making it sound "right" on the headphones, on a proper system they may be a bit high, I have noticed this on my speaker system, the treble is just a little bit *too* high.

That dropping effect at 4min24s goes quite low, I can't give you an actual frequency, but if you would like I can email you a .wav of it, you may have equipment to better measure it. All I know is, if I play that track on my stereo even at a quite low background level, the whole house shakes as that note drops down, even though you can only just hear it.

That's exactly what happened................there was solid bass, going lower and lower until it went subsonic. The contents of my glass display case went berserk, doors and windows started rattling, and every picture frame in the house needed re-alligning afterwards.

Good stuff indeed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\\"ajw056\\")</div>

and every picture frame in the house needed re-alligning afterwards.

Good stuff indeed.[/b]

Hahaha - love the attitude, having to re-allign every picture frame..."Good stuff indeed." That made me laugh for quite a while :P

I can put together some test tones for you Andrew, and anyone else interested, at definite frequencies, using sine, square, triangle, saw waves etc, including bass sweeps etc. I'm sure they will not be as comprehensive as the rolling sweeps on a proper test disc, however I can make tones from around 16Hz going up in definite fractional increments, which may be better than the often 2 to 5Hz increments on a test CD.

By the way, I emailed you the .wav of the bass sweep in that track to enquiries @aslanacoustics.com.au, as could not attach anything to email via this forum.

Actually Tom, I could definitely use sine wave test tones at 1Hz intervals from 30Hz down to 16Hz (or lower)...........would need to have each tone last 5 seconds.

Is that do-able..............it is a great way to test subbies (or kill them).

Maybe a mp3 file with a 2 second gap between tones.

My current gear only has 5 Hz intervals, which is not quite good enough at the very bottom end to plot rolloff curves accurately.

A/

Andrew I have just made an mp3 for you, it follows musical notes C1 through C0, 5 seconds long each, 2.5 second gap. Unfortunately, as I'm using music production software, I can't get specific 16, 17, 18 Hz etc, however I can give you the exact frequency each note is:

1 32.70

2 30.87

3 29.14

4 27.50

5 25.96

6 24.50

7 23.12

8 21.83

9 20.60

10 19.45

11 18.35

12 17.32

13 16.35

Let me know if this is a problem, otherwise throw me your email and I will send it to you, 192kbps is 2.2mb, I can render it lower if your mailbox doesn't accept large files.

Cheers, Tom.

EDIT: Actually Andrew, I have worked out how to make exact increments, I can go as low as 10Hz for you, throw me a number and will do it tomorrow - I have to record from sound card, as opposed to rendering an mp3 as I did above, so it will take a bit longer.

If you would still like the first mp3, it may come in handy because it uses real musical frequencies, I will still send it...otherwise, will make the other mp3 tomorrow.

Cheers, Tom.