watched this recently on blu-ray...

The Railway man - AUS Release - 5.1 DTS Master Audio

Movie - 4/5 - Not a movie I knew a huge amount about before watching, apart from knowing had something to do with japanese and an englishmen. Well turns out it is a real story of Eric Lomax. A tortured man literally living a tortured life..."still at war" as he says. Struggling to put the past behind him. Still re living his time as a prisoner of war under the japanese. An australian film co produced with the UK, filmed in Thailand, UK and Australia. A very human movie quite touched by it. The performances of all the actors is quite amazing. Especially Nicole kidman fantastic for her to take on a role she did. As with Colin Firth and Jeremy Irvine. 

PQ - 4/5 - Beautifully filmed as tends to be with many Australian films.

AQ - 4/5 - Not a huge part of the film but supports well.

Overall - 4/5 - I am really quite taken with this movie. I dont think its an easy story to tell. And am super impressed in the Australian film industry to take this on and the end product. No Hollywood mush here. Its real and really quite moved by it when finished up. Especially with the closing words of Eric Lomax in "Some time the hating has to stop"

taken a few screen shots from the movie as an indication of the picture quality of this blu-ray release..

14090367971_e0ca88f79f_b.jpg

14090368941_5f65d98351_b.jpg

14090369631_1fe394eb4f_b.jpg

14113665783_c478e487d6_b.jpg

13906950149_6f12a43482_b.jpg

13907001108_726d139d7d_b.jpg

13906952109_e8d97e9752_b.jpg

14090474302_f2a7f87b47_b.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, interesting, this is the first positive review I've come across of this film.

Hi warren, I tend to not read too many or too much into reviews before watching a film as tends to kill it for me, but david and Margaret I find a pretty reliable source if looking for a take on a movie, so can check out their at the movies for another opinion,

Margaret 4.5 stars, David 4 stars,

http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s3903336.htm

"The Railway Man

A victim from World War II's "Death Railway" sets out to find those responsible for his torture.

Margaret: David:

The Railway Man

Rated M

Review by Margaret Pomeranz

It's nice having a major Australian film to round off the year. Jonathan Teplizsky's THE RAILWAY MAN is a true story of horrific wartime experiences and their aftermath. Eric Lomax - COLIN FIRTH - is a retired railway signals engineer, still obsessed with trains and timetables when he meets Patti - NICOLE KIDMAN. It's only after their marriage that George's demons manifest themselves. We learn through friend and former comrade Finlay - STELLEN SKARSGARD - of both men's experiences at the hands of the Japanese during the building of the Burma-Bangkok railway during World War II.

Eric - played as a young man by Jeremy Irvine - had a particularly hard time at the hands of a guard - TANROH ISHIDA -when he admitted to making a makeshift radio. His torture is horrific. But the real challenge that George faces is when he learns that that guard - now played by HIROYUKI SANADA - is working as a tour guide at the site of the memorial to the notorious railway.

Further comments

DAVID: It is, in many ways, a remarkable film, I think, and it's interesting that Eric Lomax told this story because so many of the men who went through that terrible experience in World War II never talked about it but he wrote it down.

MARGARET: A lot of guys come back from that situation and don't talk about it and that's, I think, a lot of the problem. But what I thought about this film is it's incredibly emotional because, you know, my family history is Burma Bangkok Railway, fighting in New Guinea.

DAVID: So you had a personal connection.

MARGARET: I was overwhelmed by it, I've got to tell you. It really cut deep with me. But I also think that Nicole is developing such wonderful maturity as an actress. I think she's fantastic in this.

DAVID: I think they're both very good actually.

MARGARET: Yes, so do I.

DAVID: Yes, but I agree with you and I also thought that the climactic scenes were extraordinarily powerful. I mean it's a whole theme of reconciliation and so on, which is so important and beautifully done. I think Jonathan Teplizsky has really become one of our most interesting and varied directors. You don't know quite what to expect from him.

MARGARET: No, exactly. I think this is a major achievement. I'm giving it four and a half stars.

DAVID: I'm giving it four stars."

Ordinarily I can't bear Kidman, but in spite of her being in this film I enjoyed it.

Am not a Nicole Kidman fan really either, but to be honest took me half the film to actually realise it was her in this movie. Fantastic performance from her. If she has re invented her self for this film, I look forward to seeing more films with her in it :)

Watched this last night with my wife,and having known people who were there i looked forward to viewing this movie.We both enjoyed it and i am another one who does not like(can't stand) Kidman.

• Like 1