The Subwoofer, bass sound and its names: is it right?

Guest georgeDV

Guest georgeDV

Hello.
at least in spanish, I find this words to define the different kinf of bass sound:
deep bass, dry bass, dynamic bass and so.
maybe that terms are just applied just for identify, I'm not sure if it was just invention / for convenience, I imagine there are "oficial"  or true technical terms to define the kind of bass sounds, 
and I think it is not easy to catalog because ther could be a long extended note or just a punch in the drum, or a tone give by the guitarr. 
if you have some information about "names of the bass sound"   - let me know thank you!  

the image was found in a video, but still I think that's just to convenience, not technical "real".  I don't know. 

sscrs1172.png

I remember J Gordon Holt (of Stereophile - R.I.P.) created a glossary to try to provide some sort of structure to terms used to describe sound - https://www.stereophile.com/reference/50/index.html

But, like his ideas on DBT "As far as the real world is concerned, high-end audio lost its credibility during the 1980s, when it flatly refused to submit to the kind of basic honesty controls (double-blind testing, for example) that had legitimized every other serious scientific endeavor since Pascal.", this never caught on. And as you can generally see in this particular forum, people are constantly arguing about terms and not the music or reproduction of it.

With those terms in your post, I believe some of them are over-lapping and not mutually exclusive. But it's a good start...maybe terms that define the midrange now?

• Like 1

Guest georgeDV
5 hours ago, Cloth Ears said:

I remember J Gordon Holt (of Stereophile - R.I.P.) created a glossary to try to provide some sort of structure to terms used to describe sound - https://www.stereophile.com/reference/50/index.html

But, like his ideas on DBT "As far as the real world is concerned, high-end audio lost its credibility during the 1980s, when it flatly refused to submit to the kind of basic honesty controls (double-blind testing, for example) that had legitimized every other serious scientific endeavor since Pascal.", this never caught on. And as you can generally see in this particular forum, people are constantly arguing about terms and not the music or reproduction of it.

With those terms in your post, I believe some of them are over-lapping and not mutually exclusive. But it's a good start...maybe terms that define the midrange now?

: o! it took me time ! very interesting, 
finally, a lot of terms here there worldwide spanish, english, and sometimes  "subjetives" depending a lot of factors.

this examples, interesting

sscrs1173.png

sscrs1174.png

On 12/07/2023 at 3:58 PM, georgeDV said:

: o! it took me time ! very interesting, 
finally, a lot of terms here there worldwide spanish, english, and sometimes  "subjetives" depending a lot of factors.

this examples, interesting

sscrs1173.png

sscrs1174.png

You have to remember that this was his response to a complete lack of alignment between a lot of people talking about audio. It would have been nice if it had been adopted - or even used as a basis for a complete set of descriptive term regarding audio. But at this stage, there is no cohesiveness to descriptive phrases about audio reproduction.

Guest georgeDV
On 13/07/2023 at 9:13 PM, Cloth Ears said:

You have to remember that this was his response to a complete lack of alignment between a lot of people talking about audio. It would have been nice if it had been adopted - or even used as a basis for a complete set of descriptive term regarding audio. But at this stage, there is no cohesiveness to descriptive phrases about audio reproduction.

hello again
and, some descriptions, really "strange", make consider just forget and listen without care about names oops!
this says translated:

"the z-groove (bass puncher) does it sound nice? I have the GTZ5 and I don't like,  it is a sound very dynamic with bass almost dry,
I choose the v-groove it lets pass by a little the deep bass"  

image.png.99d3103a05aef8ffd62f77edeea1790d.png