Pioneer SA-500a

I've had this sitting in the garage as the basis for a never materialised 2nd system. It's a lovely little unit and considered trying in my main system but not sure - given it's modest power - if it could drive my AE floorstanders. Thoughts? 

Nice sounding amp if your speakers are 90db efficient or more it will be OK just be careful not to over drive it

given it’s age and been in storage it probably needs a refurb so that would be the priority before hooking it up to any speaker 

I have the same model Pioneer. Picked it up cheap and refurbed moderately, plays a pair of Monitor Audio bookshelves (89dB) very nicely to my ear. Volume knob turned at about a quarter is just fine, so no problems with power. Very nice sounding little amp, a real little wonder. I think AE are similarly rated so you should be right.

The Pioneer SA500A was my first Power Amp, bought in about 1973.  I used it with Pioneer PAX25B coaxial speakers in large bass reflex boxes, which were very efficient and never caused it to break into a sweat.  12WPC seemed ample in those days - it was a good job there were no Gale 401's around to try it with!

Unfortunately, it was lost to me in a home burglary in 1981.:classic_sad:

I still remember it fondly as a very sweet sounding little amp and I soon forgot my initial regret that I didn't get the prettier, black Sansui AU101 rival instead.

OK so I hooked it up and it certainly can drive the speakers with ease. No problem there. 

It sounds good, but unfortunately its being (unfairly) compared to a Rega Elex R so it's not a fair fight. 

I love the idea of having a vintage amp, but it's going to take some investigation and trail/error to find something that's going to be as sonically pleasing as it is aesthetically 

Thanks again for all the feedback

Al

Nice amp the rega, few suggestions you can look into vintage amp wise that are well regarded 

Yamaha ca-810

sansui au-417

pioneer sa-8500

marantz 1152dc

teac as100

kenwood ka-8006

all of the above are well featured and with more power than the pioneer and very serviceable should the need arise and most importantly sound great 

Edited by Vintage_Hi_Fi
Typo