Tung Sol KT150 valves

Hi All

Has anyone heard amps with the new KT150 power tubes? I know Icon Audio have changed over to them. Tung Sol haven't updated their site so I don't know if they're a drop-in replacement for the KT120 by size or not.

I haven't seen that envelope shape before - you won't mistake the kt150 for anything else.

Cheers

Jeremy

post-104847-0-50884200-1375167931_thumb.

• Like 2

I asked an amp designer about compatibility with their current KT120 amp, he came back with this;

"At present when I last spoke with Mike Mathews of New Sensor (the company producing the 120 and 150) there were not any specs available. From what I do know the 150 will deliver 35 - 40 watts per tube. With this sort of power it will need another design as the 120's power supply will certainly not be able to handle that. So until I know better and have a tube to play with I will have to say no, they will not work in a 120 amp.. They may work but without any power gain."

Earle, thanks for the specs, I'll have to forward to him!

Edited by Krispy Audio

I asked an amp designer about compatibility with their current KT120 amp, he came back with this;

"At present when I last spoke with Mike Mathews of New Sensor (the company producing the 120 and 150) there were not any specs available. From what I do know the 150 will deliver 35 - 40 watts per tube. With this sort of power it will need another design as the 120's power supply will certainly not be able to handle that. So until I know better and have a tube to play with I will have to say no, they will not work in a 120 amp.. They may work but without any power gain."

Earle, thanks for the specs, I'll have to forward to him!

35-40w per tube is huge! Not seeing the spec sheet I still would suspect in most cases it wont be drop in unless you wind down the bias to run them cool. As I would have thought most output trannys and chokes won't handle them stock! Wow! Bring on winding these puppies up to 200ma :)

Hi All

Has anyone heard amps with the new KT150 power tubes? I know Icon Audio have changed over to them. Tung Sol haven't updated their site so I don't know if they're a drop-in replacement for the KT120 by size or not.

I haven't seen that envelope shape before - you won't mistake the kt150 for anything else.

Cheers

Jeremy

Thanks for info Jeremy!

Looking at the data sheet, the KT150 will work in my Tempest and Topaz KT120 amplifiers. One of the advantages of over engineering.

I hope to have some tubes soon to do some experimenting. I will be designing a dedicated class A amp, which should be good for over 50wpc and a bigger version of the Tempest which should yeild ~125wpc class AB

Edited by ehtcom
  • Like 5

Looking at the data sheet, the KT150 will work in my Tempest and Topaz KT120 amplifiers. One of the advantages of over engineering.

I hope to have some rubes soon to do some experimenting. I will be designing a dedicated class A amp, which should be good for over 50wpc and a bigger version of the Tempest which should yeild ~125wpc class AB

Nice earle :) hopefully you get enough testing done before you start mine if it's a similar evolution as KT88/90 to 120 I'm up for the KT150s :)

Will be interesting to see if it shares a house sound with the 120, or if It's a very different presentation/sound.

It will be for sure.. Personally I found a small difference between the kt88 and kt90eh maybe slightly more bass and to me the kt120 sounded sonically very similar to kt90 just more power.. Can't wait bring on a 35w SE haha :)

• 1 month later...

A small shipment of KT150 valves are on their way. Should have them early next week. Can't wait :)

I'll have a pair of KT150 class A Monoblocks running at the HiFi show and most likely the Topaz Artisan 150 on display.

I'll post some pictures of the tubes when they arrive.

Cheers, Earle.

• 2 weeks later...

At this stage I have built,

Topaz 6CA7

Time Machine 2A3-PP

Time Machine Preamp

KT150 monoblocks currently under construction :)

Would also like to show

Artisan KT150 (Should get it built)

Topaz KT120 (Hopefully get it built)

Maybe Time Machine 300B-PP monoblocks (Dreaming)

Also maybe just, Custom 300B-se on mega chassis (not a hope)