power amp for Kef R3

Daphan

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a poweramp to power my R3s. I am thinking of going down the class D (Purifi or Icepower) path and wonder if any veteran here can give me some feedback if this is a good match?

otherwise is there any reasonable (around 2K) power amp you can recommend as a match?

I have both Kef R3's and R11's.  I use an integrated Denon PMA-1600 for the R3's and it's a great match, however I use 2 NAD C298's for the R11's and think a single C298 would also be a perfect partner for R3's.  Plenty of control to get the most out of the compact 3-way design.  I often find it astounding how close the R3's sound to the R11's.

Edited by Lil Caesar

Hi @Lil Caesar Just a quickie regarding your NAD C298's and the fact you are bridging them. I've read on here and other places that bridging stereo amps can be a poor methodology due to relative inefficiency and sound degradation. (Not sure of the technical reasoning) From the specs below it sure does boost the output rating, though curiously not as you may expect at 4 Ohms,

Features

• 185W x 2 Rated Output Power into 8 Ohms
  • 340W x 2 Rated Output Power into 4 Ohms
  • Stereo Dynamic Power 260/490/570W @ 8/4/2 Ohms
  • 620W x 1 Rated Output into 8 Ohms Bridge Mode
  • Mono Dynamic Power 1000/1100W @ 8/4 Ohms

What's your experience with yours and how they perform with the Kef R11's. What's their rated impedance?

8 minutes ago, Grimmie said:

Hi @Lil Caesar Just a quickie regarding your NAD C298's and the fact you are bridging them. I've read on here and other places that bridging stereo amps can be a poor methodology due to relative inefficiency and sound degradation. (Not sure of the technical reasoning) From the specs below it sure does boost the output rating, though curiously not as you may expect at 4 Ohms,

Features

• 185W x 2 Rated Output Power into 8 Ohms
  • 340W x 2 Rated Output Power into 4 Ohms
  • Stereo Dynamic Power 260/490/570W @ 8/4/2 Ohms
  • 620W x 1 Rated Output into 8 Ohms Bridge Mode
  • Mono Dynamic Power 1000/1100W @ 8/4 Ohms

What's your experience with yours and how they perform with the Kef R11's. What's their rated impedance?

Hey Grimmie yes I'm aware of that but in my case I'm not running the C298's as monoblocks, I'm bi-amping them:)

Edited by Lil Caesar
  • Like 1