Higher gain screen and HDR

There are few popular brands of screen projector such as Stewart (Made in US), Elite Screen (made in China), SI (made in US) and OS (made in Japan).

I plan to upgrade to a 4K screen. 
I went to their websites to find out what kind of screen (fabric) will be suitable for me but I wonder what gain is most suitable for me.
OS screen has two type, one is for 4K, with 1 gain and their flagship model is for 4k-HDR with 2.6 gain (ready for 4K HDR laser PJ).
Stewart has 1.3 gain, ES has 1.2 gain. I don't know the gain for SI ( popular model is Black diamond and and Slate)

I would appreciate some feedback from those who have had experience with the effect of different screen on HDR as I realized that HDR requires the PJ to put a lot of lumens of the screen.
Just wondering if a higher gain screen is going to appreciably or noticeably help with HDR content on 4K blu-ray.

Happy and Blessed New Year 2021
Cheers

Actually I don’t there’s such a thing as a 4K screen. It’s probably a smoother surface/ more closely woven so that if you sit close enough (no one will sit at that kind of distance to watch a movie) with a 4K projector you are not able to see the pixel. 

A screen gain of 2.6 is way too high (color distortion and bright spots).  With the current crop of 4k projectors that push out high lumens, I would opt for say a 1.1 to 1.3 gain, esp for HDR in order to bring out the best in colors and contrast. Our human eyes tend to equate brightness with vibrancy, so unless you are really the type that really want to watch what the director prescribes, a slight screen gain is good, plus your projector probably don’t have to work that hard in pushing out more light output. 

Stewart had the best reputation, prob the most “premium” branding. There’s a reason for their high pricing and they haven’t lowered their prices ?

Alternatively, try local. You can contact Alf for details. 

Xfii , you are are spot on . Gain of screen does not equate to better HDR picture quality.

Our expectation of picture in a Home Theatre set up have 3 type Images . The classic bat cave in a dedicated room with lights off , those still in bat cave but with a bit more ambient lights and  lastly those set up in halls or living rooms .

The great part with the new 4K 0r UHD  projector they are brighter and able to do wider colour mode range, combine with new screen material tone or shades  allows you to have better control over the type of picture quality ,  brightness , contrast and with image depth in all 3 different settings.

Whitesox, What kind of room is it for? A dedicated home theather room painted black (as in a bat cave) or a living room? or something in-between. This might determine the projector and the screen that you need.

Personally, I'm super pleased with my BenQ 2700W (around $2.5k) throwing Dolby Vision onto one of Alf's motorized screens from about 10 years ago. It's amazing compared to my previous Sony 1080p projector.

Please allow me to show you guys  what i mean , base on a picture recent install  on the new Cyrus cine projection screen model Titanium Grey . These screen is very versatile for both " Bat cave " and ambient light condition .

Picture speaks a thousand words i guess .

It took me a while to launch this out due to the intensive testing for any material in perfection and climate testing . This is the 3rd Generation of Titanium Grey as these has is the best of all .

It consist of smooth uniform finish , lower glitters and most important able to acclimatize to our humid and hot South East Asia environment . 

20201223_083510[1].jpg

20201219_122327[1].jpg

On 1/2/2021 at 3:11 AM, xfi said:

Actually I don’t there’s such a thing as a 4K screen. It’s probably a smoother surface/ more closely woven so that if you sit close enough (no one will sit at that kind of distance to watch a movie) with a 4K projector you are not able to see the pixel. 

A screen gain of 2.6 is way too high (color distortion and bright spots).  With the current crop of 4k projectors that push out high lumens, I would opt for say a 1.1 to 1.3 gain, esp for HDR in order to bring out the best in colors and contrast. Our human eyes tend to equate brightness with vibrancy, so unless you are really the type that really want to watch what the director prescribes, a slight screen gain is good, plus your projector probably don’t have to work that hard in pushing out more light output. 

Stewart had the best reputation, prob the most “premium” branding. There’s a reason for their high pricing and they haven’t lowered their prices ?

Alternatively, try local. You can contact Alf for details. 

Thanks bro for sharing opinion. Appreciated for that.

I wonder if higher gain will produce distorted color and bright spots then I think they won't win competitions and earned so many awards in Japan consecutively.

https://hk.os-worldwide.com/products/screen_materials/hf102/

15 hours ago, whitesox said:

Thanks bro for sharing opinion. Appreciated for that.

I wonder if higher gain will produce distorted color and bright spots then I think they won't win competitions and earned so many awards in Japan consecutively.

https://hk.os-worldwide.com/products/screen_materials/hf102/

The final image is very much the combine of both the Projector and it lens  also the distance , not just a screen alone .The hot spot effect are not the same with the same 2.5 or even 3 gain screen with the same projector at Max zoom with a short distance and min Zoom with a longer throw distance.

Edited by econav

Usually higher gain screen will have smaller viewing angle , hence you feel like there is a colour shift or drop ,  when you move left to right . Do not forget the characteristics of screen material  if it is Reflective , Retro reflective or Dispersion  type that will determine where you can place the projector .

The old school Glass beaded and Silver screen material many years back are very popular , they have narrow viewing angle  . It was match with very low brightness projectors : Over head Projector , Slide projector and CRTs 

Another critical point is  products acclimatize to south east asia climate , does it require maintenance and can local seller let you know the pros and cons and also able to support repair and replacement parts