Do you own multiple copies of the same record? Why/why not?

Notice that this have not been discussed before after doing a search in the forum.

From my conversations with some of the vinyl enthusiasts, i notice an interesting trend.  For recent records releases, there are people buying 2 or even 3 copies of the same records ( one for listening, one as spare ( in case the first piece spoilt)  and one for sale).

I also known of bros who collected different pressings of the same records because of the different in sound quality, sonics etc.

I am curious to know what are some of the habits that our bros in the forum have and their rationale.  for me sometimes i am quite tempted to buy two or more of the same copies, but with the prices of vinyl going up, it just don't make financial sense.  And there are also times i am reluctant to open the one and only vinyl for fear of spoiling it accidentally. LOL Not sure anyone shares a similar dilemma? 

What are your purchasing habits when it come to vinyls? And Why?

Thanks for adding to the discussion. :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest francishuang

Love the album/pressings, so keep more.

Sometimes stumbled upon a record I already have, but the cond is so gd or the price is cheap, so buy another copy.

Sometime stumbled upon a record that is super super rare which I already have it. But more often then not, will just get tat copy as well.

So sometimes it is of a coincidence and sometimes a deliberate choice to get extra copies.

I collect different pressings of the same album (specified singers only) both in 33 1/3 and 45 rpm version but hardly duplicate copies unless I made a mistakes (actually many times). 

I know there are quite a number of friends that buy more than 2 copies of of the same album all at the same time.

Thanks Bro fgchoong

I have also made mistakes buying duplicate copies but that is usually in different situations.  But i also see bros buying 3 of the same pieces of the same vinyl in one shot. I am tempted at times but just really lack the $ and space.  My worry is always if i decided to sell it off, i will no longer have the copy.. LOL FOMO!

Love the album/pressings, so keep more.

Sometimes stumbled upon a record I already have, but the cond is so gd or the price is cheap, so buy another copy.

Sometime stumbled upon a record that is super super rare which I already have it. But more often then not, will just get tat copy as well.

So sometimes it is of a coincidence and sometimes a deliberate choice to get extra copies.

bro francishuang, that is mostly for older records right? I am also referring to recent releases like the numbered boxsets... people are also buying them in bulk to keep . :P

buy to listen or buy to collect? streaming has changed many things

While streaming is convenient and I do that as background music while I doing my work, enjoying the music from the vinyl is a very different thing.

I usually buy multiples if it's an album I really love. Reason is because it might be out of print in the future.

Also due to wear and tear, I just like to have an extra in case the first copy gets spoilt.

But I won't buy to resell.... not my cup of tea.

Space constraint makes it very difficult for me to be a collector of various copies of the same titles. For me, buying another copy of the same vinyl is usually due to wanting a better sounding or better conditioned one and quite often, cos I forgot I aldy have it.

So far, for purchasing multiple copies of the same album, two bands stand out for me, Joy Division and Led Zeppelin.

I started a thread on the various version of albums and their SQ here:

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=263681.0

I usually buy multiples if it's an album I really love. Reason is because it might be out of print in the future.

Also due to wear and tear, I just like to have an extra in case the first copy gets spoilt.

But I won't buy to resell.... not my cup of tea.

That seems to be the justification.. but with record coys cashing in on the vinyl fever ... it seems that there will be a “better” version as the years passed, coupled with latest technology. Example some of the jazz albums like the Cassandra Wilson “glamoured” published in 2003, was again republished in the tone poet series ( supposedly better recording) in 2019. Maybe another 45rpm supposedly better version might be produced in another 3-4 years time? Just some random thoughts that this may seem never ending... in that case does it make sense to hoard?

Another case is the elusive Ayako hosokawa tbm “mr wonderful” the question is of course when will this record be rereleased again in a better format/exclusiv box set etc?

Just my thoughts on that..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Space constraint makes it very difficult for me to be a collector of various copies of the same titles. For me, buying another copy of the same vinyl is usually due to wanting a better sounding or better conditioned one and quite often, cos I forgot I aldy have it.

So far, for purchasing multiple copies of the same album, two bands stand out for me, Joy Division and Led Zeppelin.

I started a thread on the various version of albums and their SQ here:

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=263681.0

Bro CB, with your massive collection of you get mostly double or triple, u will need to rent a warehouse to store them... ;P

Guest francishuang

Mr Wonderful was reissued the 2nd time recently ah.  But totally different sound compared to to 1st 2 issue. Well, actually the 3BM albums reissue sounded very different from the original.

That seems to be the justification.. but with record coys cashing in on the vinyl fever ... it seems that there will be a “better” version as the years passed, coupled with latest technology. Example some of the jazz albums like the Cassandra Wilson “glamoured” published in 2003, was again republished in the tone poet series ( supposedly better recording) in 2019. Maybe another 45rpm supposedly better version might be produced in another 3-4 years time? Just some random thoughts that this may seem never ending... in that case does it make sense to hoard?

Another case is the elusive Ayako hosokawa tbm “mr wonderful” the question is of course when will this record be rereleased again in a better format/exclusiv box set etc?

You're right, of course. These days it's the vinyl buyer's dream with record companies cashing-in on the trend by releasing more vinyl and even titles previously not available in vinyl.

But I lived through the times when there were so many titles I wanted, but because I missed the first print I never got to buy them at a decent price.

Like for example Sarah McLachlan's Surfacing. There was a long time when the only version was the Classic records version, which I had a copy. But 1 day I accidentally spoilt it, and it was impossible to buy another copy unless you spent >$400. So when they re-released Surfacing some years back, I bought 2 copies (33 1/3RPM). Then few months later Analogue Productions re-released a 45 RPM version, so I went and got 2 of that too.

Another example is Damien Rice O, waited ages for them to release it on vinyl so when they finally did, I bought 2 copies just in case. Same for Tori Amos Little Earthquakes.

Of course, in the end these 3 examples are still easily available, so there was no real need to buy multiple.

Mr Wonderful was reissued the 2nd time recently ah.  But totally different sound compared to to 1st 2 issue. Well, actually the 3BM albums reissue sounded very different from the original.

Yup, agree! A good example is Eagles Hell Freezes Over. The re-release recently was never as good as any of the original versions.

Yup, agree! A good example is Eagles Hell Freezes Over. The re-release recently was never as good as any of the original versions.

Thanks bros silencer 13 and Francis Huang! Reissues are sometimes hits and misses. As a latecomer to vinyls it is always a thrill to be able to collect vintage records and it is always exciting to see reissues which may be a little easier on the wallets.. I guess most of the time is how much one really want the records.

Sidetrack: hope the ayako hosokawa vinyl will be released again.. lol for collectors like me who missed out..

There are some albums I really wished I had bought 2 copies last time.

For example Rachael Yamagata's Elephants and Hikaru Utada's First Love.

I really love these albums and play them over and over, but have to treat them like treasures because if they are spoilt or worn out, damn hard to get replacements.

There are some albums I really wished I had bought 2 copies last time.

For example Rachael Yamagata's Elephants and Hikaru Utada's First Love.

I really over these albums and play them over and over, but have to treat them like treasures because if they are spoilt or worn out, damn hard to get replacements.

Haha now u got me curious about these two albums!!

Guest francishuang

Sorry.. Mr wonderful reissued 3 times in total. U want the 2nd  reissue? Can sell it to u.

Thanks bros silencer 13 and Francis Huang! Reissues are sometimes hits and misses. As a latecomer to vinyls it is always a thrill to be able to collect vintage records and it is always exciting to see reissues which may be a little easier on the wallets.. I guess most of the time is how much one really want the records.

Sidetrack: hope the ayako hosokawa vinyl will be released again.. lol for collectors like me who missed out..

i'm very new to this, but i do have same albums in multiple copies, usually 1 is early pressing 60s/70s, 1 is current or repro (14 to current day). to start, it was more to see what was the difference, now i would try to get early presses, unless it's like the current tone poet, which are quite very good (to me), but they are for sure getting quite expensive.